Where is the energy?

Options
I read all the time that working out and getting healthy has the benefit of more energy? I have been working out now for about 2 months and have lost 17lbs. I can honestly say, I have no more energy than before, maybe even less. On the 4 days a week that I go to the gym, I am exhausted when I get home. I just feel like laying down and sleeping. The days that I dont go, I can say that I may feel a little energy increase, but its more of an anxious feeling. Like I just want to get up and go do something, rather than sit around the house and watch tv, but overall I would say that I feel any kind of increase in energy.

Replies

• Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I can agree with you. I have been eating very healthy and have cut back to maybe 2x 20 min walks a week from 5x I hr walks as my shins were killing me. I wonder if it is a normal part of being at a caloric deficit for a long time. I started Jan 1st and I have lost almost 40 lbs and have another 80 to go.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back some of your exercise calories. The tiredness is in part because you are not feeding your workouts. MFP has your calorie deficit in your basic calories. You are supposed to log and eat back 50-75% of those calories.
    Also, if you are not use to working out, start slow and build. Both the body and mind have to adjust.

If you are set to lose 1 lbs a week you may find it beneficial to change to 1 lbs a week. More food will give you more energy.

Cheers, h.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    First question, how much are you eating?

Second question, how often are you working out and how long?

Third question, how many rest days do you take?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

I was about to ask the very same questions!

Definitely could be a fueling problem - if you're under eating, your body isn't going to have more energy if you're suddenly asking it to do much more activity on not enough fuel. You don't want to overeat and gain, but you don't want to under eat either - got to find the balance.

My goal is to eat as MANY calories as I can while still losing weight - and it's worked great for me for several years now.
  • RobertCotton
    RobertCotton Posts: 28 Member
    Options

1. MFP suggested 2500 at my weight to lose 1lb a week, but my doctor said not to go over 2000. so most days I am between 1800 - 2000 (thats before exercise, I didnt know to eat back exercise calories).
    2. I am doing cardio of some type (walking or riding) 7 days, and just started some strength training as advised by the fitness coach at Planet Fitness 4 days a week.
    3. I kinda consider the 3 days that I am not doing strength training as rest? Friday, Saturday and Sunday I stay out of the gym, but I usually either bike 10 - 13 mile or walk 4-5 miles with my wife everyday.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

1. MFP suggested 2500 at my weight to lose 1lb a week, but my doctor said not to go over 2000. so most days I am between 1800 - 2000 (thats before exercise, I didnt know to eat back exercise calories).
    2. I am doing cardio of some type (walking or riding) 7 days, and just started some strength training as advised by the fitness coach at Planet Fitness 4 days a week.
    3. I kinda consider the 3 days that I am not doing strength training as rest? Friday, Saturday and Sunday I stay out of the gym, but I usually either bike 10 - 13 mile or walk 4-5 miles with my wife everyday.

That's where your energy is. You are spending it without replenishing it. Assuming you are logging accurately, you are in a decent sized deficit and then exercising every day. Eat more or relax a bit.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

That's where your energy is. You are spending it without replenishing it. Assuming you are logging accurately, you are in a decent sized deficit and then exercising every day. Eat more or relax a bit.

This would pretty much be my thinking as well. Doing things everyday is fine as long at 1) You eat enough -- Are you losing weight faster than you expect or not? 2) Some of those days are very low intensity--a relaxed walk or bike ride.