Hardest fight of my life.

Options
kt2007
kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
I am a 40 yr old male, married, 2 kids, Son 21, daughter 17. So I have 11yrs of Military Service and currently being medically retired from service do to injuries from deployments. So the issue is I am on a lot of meds and trying to get back in shape because my unit has done what we call a flag on me for being over weight. This is suspension of favorable actions. I passed my Physical Fitness test but during weight and tape I fail body fat. I am supposed to be %26 or less and I was 29%. So this is the issue. My daughter skipped the 11th grade and is graduating in 2 weeks and already been accepted to her college of choice. I have about 45 days left in service. If I dont drop this weight and body fat my unit wont lift the flag from me and that makes it where I cant transfer my college funds to her to pay for her school. I just want some motivation and support to get this done for her. I am working on it by running and riding my bike to work. trying to track food. I dont want my daughter to suffer because I am out of shape.

Replies

• kt2007
    Options
    also just a heads up I have lost 7.8lbs over the last 3 weeks.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Your are doing great! Kept it going ! You can do this! You've done so much already and you got this. 7.8 lbs in 3 weeks is great how much do you have to lose in 45 days??
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Good for you for losing some weight already! Sounds like you have very important reasons to lose weight so you already have your source of motivation.

You say you're "trying to track food". This is where I'd focus the most attention. Calculate your calorie goal and buy a food scale. Weigh, measure, and accurately log your food. That's where your weight loss will come from. Running and bike riding are great so keep it up!
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I agree - you've got this. You have a great motivation and are already off to a great start. I agree with the food scale part since you have to really make sure that your calorie counts are accurate.
    I know that some will say "add muscle" to lower body fat but I read somewhere that for every 5 pounds true muscle gained body fat is reduced by 0.4% - not sure if that is completely accurate (and the lifters out there will know I'm sure), but it seems like the cardio you're doing would help the most since you are on a tight timeframe.
    Keep it up!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If I can do this in my 50's you can do it. I had an enormous beer gut for decades when I found MFP. I fist got a fitBit that helped motivate me into be more active. Than I got an Aria Fit Bit Wi Fi scale that logs and syncs to MFP. I counted every stinking calorie I took in very accurately. The only way I could hit deficit was to up my exercise so I started running. I kept pushing my running just a little further each time out until I was running 30 miles a week. I watched my body fat % (the scale measures that too) and weight drop almost daily. When I reached my goal I adjusted it down again until I had lost all of my excess weight. Size 38 pants to size 32, Extra large shirt to large. I dropped 53 pounds and also dropped my cholesterol 50 points. I cured insomnia and stopped snoring too. Fat % went from 28% down to 15%. So get started and start counting, eat better quality foods, exercise and drink lots of water. If you start now you will get rid of that flag and we know you have the motivation to succeed.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Former drill sargent and 22 year combat vet is my SO. You want some drill sargent motivational techniques? He barks sometimes when I don't feel like doing the treadmill. It makes me laugh but also helps move me off my rear.

You can do this. You have the mental know how. You can add me if you want. I'll have him send cadence. :#
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    We are your cheering squad! Open up your food log and we will keep you accountable.
  • kaye300
    kaye300 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Egg white, grilled chicken breast, dark leafy green.......these are your best friends for this.
  • kt2007
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone. I am going to stay on this for sure. Yesterday I commuted to and from work 4 times @ 3.2 miles each way. Also did 45 mins of 60/120s on treadmill. The food in take is the real help I need. Mornings have been fruit and spinach smoothies or 3 hard boiled eggs with spinach and diced ham. Grilled in coconut oil with garlic and pepper.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I would cut carbs if I were you. Andvuf you can add weight training that might help you with a quick change . I've seen some pretty dramatic changes in a short amount of time running. That might be an option for you. Hope it helps and I'm not even saying good luck because you've got this!!
  • simplytree0363
    simplytree0363 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First of all, thank you so much for your many years of service! I am so proud of you for your selfless love for our country and your selfless love for your daughter!

I find having deadlines are helpful for self-motivation, but it sounds you already have plenty of that. Drink lots of water (keeps you fuller and helps your body in so many ways) and try as best you can to get a good night's sleep each night. With hydration and rest, your body will be better equipped to meet your goal and you'll feel better in the process.

You've got this!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    You can't transfer the funds now, or ever? Not that you'd want to, but can you adjust your retirement date? It's just so odd that you'll put in decades of service and they won't give you the money?
  • mlzcutie
    mlzcutie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I will help you stay motivated
  • mlzcutie
    mlzcutie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Diet is key.