Book

Options
If there was one book you would suggest I read about losing weight and getting fit, what would it be?

Replies

• 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    "Never Binge Again" by Glenn Livingson helped me with binge/boredom eating. It helps to think of the voice in your head telling you to eat obsessively as a separate little monster you can tell to shut up. It makes me pause and think every time I'm tempted to eat something - am I actually hungry (in which case, go ahead and eat!) or is the monster telling me to eat? It also made me stop and listen to my body when I am eating and got me to stop when I'm not hungry anymore (versus eating everything on my plate because why not).
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I love to read and while I don't subscribe to any of the books I'll suggest as diet "plans" I have gleaned good information from each one!

It really depends on what your background is and what you have as goals.

Want to learn to savor food, but not obsess about it? Eating Mindfully by Susan Albers

Want to learn the basic, generics about what makes up food and how it works as fuel? The Complete Up to Date Fat Book by Karen Bellerson

Want to learn about the link between the desire to eat everything in sight, comfort and depression? The Serotonin Solution by Judith Wurtzman

Want to learn about compulsive overeating/food addiction issues? Food Junkies by Vera Tarman

Want to laugh and be irreverent about everything from yoga and food to Julia Childs? You Don't Sweat Much for a fat girl by Celia Rivenbark - do not read this if you are easily insulted!

Those are a few of the books I've read. I love to read so I've read lots and lots of books about food, dieting, addictions, etc... and like I said, I get something interesting from each one, but I don't subscribe to a diet plan. It's just plain old CICO for me and it works fine.

Oh, and one last one. If you want to completely destroy your desire to eat out...or eat anything for that matter...read one of Michael Pollan's books: Fast Food Nation or the Omnivore's Dilemna. Not for the light stomached and definitely written with an agenda, but wow. Interesting stuff.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've read quite a few books about food, dieting and nutrition and according to my Goodreads account I've only given one of those a 5 star rating-Diet Cults: The Surprising Fallacy at the Core of Nutrition Fads and a Guide to Healthy Eating for the Rest of US, by Matt Fitzgerald.

Rethinking Thin, by Gina Kolata is a close second, with a 4 star rating. Everything else got a 1-2 star, with a couple of generous 3 stars thrown in :p
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    What's a book? Is it like an iPhone?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

You kids these days. :lol:

I don't have a particular book, I prefer to read articles online (the kind that get backed up my medical studies, I know - exciting) as they are continually cycling through to new things.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

I think you may enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sad. Even in those days they didn't know the difference between lose and loose. :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I found The Beck Diet Solution and The Diet Trap Solution by Dr. Judith Beck to be helpful. The first one is about building healthy habits over time and the second one is about how to deal with things that can throw us off track like travelling, holidays, family, or ourselves.

Neither book lays out any kind of specific diet plan. The only advice that she gives on that is to pick a plan that is sustainable and not overly restrictive.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The Diet fix by Yoni Freedoff. He advocates aiming for the healthiest weight you can comfortably enjoy and sustain. He also has a great blog: www.weightymatters.ca
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    The Easyway to lose weight by Allen Carr. I used his series to quit smoking and he has actually changed my life! No cravings, no need for willpower. I couldn't be happier
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The Easyway to lose weight by Allen Carr. I used his series to quit smoking and he has actually changed my life! No cravings, no need for willpower. I couldn't be happier

That book has helped me too. He was the one who finally persuaded me to eat meals and (as a rule) only eat at meals. I've practically stopped binging/grazing/restricting because of that book. What I needed, was a gentle structure. It sounds so obvious, but we aren't supposed to stop eating, just stop overeating.

He uses a lot of words to say a few things, and repeat some silly analogies, and goes on and on about veganism; but it's still one of the most useful and important books about normal eating.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Make to crave Deepest disier to crave god and not food or Daniel plan
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Richard Hittleman's 28 Day Exercise Plan It's a yoga book, but there's a lot more to it than that. It's about respecting your body, bringing mindfulness to movement and food, and more. It's really dated, but I kind of like the old school vibe. I've purchased several copies over the years because I keep giving mine away :)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Feeling Good by David Burns. It's not really about binge eating, it's more about depression, but that's usually why bingers binge. There is a section on binging. He teaches people with depression and other depressive behaviors to "talk back" to their behavior so they don't allow the behavior to rule their lives.