Any SoCal (SD-LA area) foodies? :D

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
live in la, but grew up in Sd and often traveling back and forth. I have been to a tonnnn of places that are well known for their food. That's not what I'm interested in....I want to know your guys favorite hidden gems that have great food and (doesn't have to be healthy, but it preferred or they have healthy options) in these areas! It can be anywhere from sd to la (longbeach, Huntington Beach, OC, Sam Clemente..etc). I love finding those little corner or small restaurants that have an amazing menu! Also another question, anyone know of any food challenges! My appetite needs to be tested elsewhere than a buffet lol. I know of the Nicky rottens, great white whale, fat sals, rudfords, trough...challenges, but I know some restaurants have challenges that they don't list online. Anyone have any ideas??(: thanks!

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    In between LA and SD in DT Santa Ana is "The Playground". Great foodie spot, the playground burger is not on the menu, you have to ask for it, amazing. The pork belly and steamed buns appetizer is really good there as well. Haven's Gastropub in DT Orange also has one of my favorite burgers and is a nice foodie/hang out spot. Shin Sen Gumi in Fountain Valley is one of my favorite Ramen/Noodle house spots. Next door is their Yakatori section. In Tustin is a bomb Izakaya called Honda-ya. Really good Yakatori and Ramen. All foodie spots...
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well if you ever come through El Centro area.... lol (a bit out of the way, we're an hour away from Yuma, AZ, about a half hour from the Mexico boarder) Nana Dora's in Brawley is pretty good. Of course it's Mexican food, and I doubt anything is all too healthy there... but the special quesadillas, bean and cheese burritos, and taco plates are awesome.
  • melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any suggestions, but I grew up in SD (and am heading back there soon) and live in OC, so I can relate a bit :smile: I don't know if it's worth visiting around here for, but if you're ever in Costa Mesa, there are little spots called the "Camp" and the "Lab anti-mall" with good spots like Habana, Taco Asylum, etc.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hoping this thread gets more entries soon. I lived in different spots around LA from 2008-2014 and just moved to San Diego in November.

In Anaheim I would go check out The Packing House, which is a pretty great place to try out a lot of options. Definitely Portos, which has locations in Burbank, Glendale, and Downey, and soon in Buena Park.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    Some of my favorite choices from SD:

Terra American bistro
    Vine cottage
    True food kitchen
    Seasons52
    Cafe Pacifica
    Bali hai
    Swamis cafe
    Sipz

Lots more lol but just to name a few
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    URBN pizza, soda and swine, juniper and ivy, counter point, snooze, salt and cleaver are some of my favorites here in San Diego
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    Queenstown public ale house has amazing burgers and sweet potato fries. Brody's burgers and beer in jamul! The patio on goldfinch. El pescador in la jolla.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    Favorite LA spots:

Via alloro
    Cafe Verona
    Hugo's
    The Hudson
    The ivy
    M grill
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member