Low Sodium Diet?? HELP!!!

Options
I had a cardiologist appointment this morning to discuss my high blood pressure. We are still running tests to see what the cause is but until we know, my doc has put me on an intensive low sodium diet (>1500mg/day) to try to not make it worse. IM SO LOST.... Its so hard finding food in my house now :o( There is a ton of sodium in almost everything. I need to go shopping to find some low sodium/ no salt foods... Is there anywhere to buy them that isn't to pricey?? & does anyone have any recipes? Im finding it hard to just put together a simple meal... :noway:

Replies

• pricetm83
    pricetm83 Posts: 49
    Options
    Oh man I totally feel you on this one. I am trying to keep a very low sodium diet too and am finding it really difficult. I'm jumping on your message bandwagon to see if anyone has any good low sodium recipes and whatnot.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Frozen or fresh veggies (most canned have high sodium). Fruit. I got rid of "traditional" taco seasoning a long time ago and use a combination of chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper instead. I like to add some liquid smoke with it if I'm making fajitas. I buy the no salt added canned tomatoes to use in recipes. I use nutritional yeast when making soups so that I can cut the broth way down and not lose much flavor (and it adds B vitamins).
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    start buying fresh ♥
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Fresh everything as often as possible. If you usually buy no-fat or low-fat things, stop because they make up for the fat with extra sodium.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    make everything from scratch and dont add salt. I maintain a low sodium .. under 1500 mg every day. www.skinnytaste.com has good recipes..

stay away from fast food and processed foods... Boxed cereals... read the labels.. No deli meats, hot dogs. bacon... no lean cuisines..

Just read read read and plan ahead... its not hard once you get used to it.. you will feel better... no water weight and you wont gain before TOM.

friend me if you would like... ill be glad to help you

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Something simple and SUPER delicious: http://www.olivegarden.com/Connections-to-Italy/Recipes/Main-Dishes/Venetian-Apricot-Chicken/

I do not use the salt, and I cut the broth with half reduced sodium and half water.

I also love this: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe_details.asp?nutrition_id=67596

again-I don't add salt and I cut the broth.

I make a crockpot chicken:

1 whole chicken
    1 onion, sliced
    1 lemon, cut in half
    thyme, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper, to taste

Remove excess fat/skin from chicken-but leave what's over most of the bird. Stuff onion slices inside of washed whole chicken. Place into crockpot. Squeeze lemon on outside of chicken and put the leftover rind inside. sprinkle with spices.

cook on either high (4-6 hours) or low (8 hours) or until your chicken is fall apart tender.

I serve with brown rice.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I made a really good turkey chili that was low-sodium and high potassium. Coincidentally, I have read on the boards and did some of my own research. Potassium helps counter the effects of the sodium so you might look at that too. Anyway, I made a huge crockpot of chili and froze it. You might not want to make as much. All you need is dried red kidney beans (cooked fully), turkey meat, Hunt's (or some other brand) low sodium whole tomatoes, and of course chili powder. Season it however you want just don't add any salt. I put mushrooms in mine. I found the low sodium canned tomatoes at Publix. However you put it together, you can use the recipe tab to punch in the ingredients and MFP will calculate the nutrition. Mine came out like this.

190 calories
    20 carbs
    7 fat
    14 protein
    539 potassium
    56 sodium
  • brittanydittman
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I really appriciate it!!
  • ruchilady
    ruchilady Posts: 8
    Options
    For Cereal try Frosted Mini Wheats - it's the only one I found when I had pre-eclampsia that had no sodium...the cinnamon streusel one is my favorite :)
  • JaymeLS
    JaymeLS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There is a web site Lowsodiumcooking.com. I have tried many recipes and haven't found anything that didn't taste good yet. Since I have started logging in everything I eat I have cut my sodium way down. Before I thought I was eating low but I really wasn't. Some of the worse things are lunch meat, hot dogs and frozen dinners.
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    it is easy,

anything unless not raw is probably loaded with sodium, unless very low sodium which is different than low sodium,

I keep my sodium less than 1000mg easily by reading labels and making choices, almond milk rather than cows milk, lower in calories too,

fresh fruit and veg,

meats have sodium,

google low sodium foods and eat as fresh as you can

now low sodium low calorie and high fiber is a bit harder which are the foods I eat,

:smile:
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i am in the same boat as you .. condiments are loaded with sodium and anything processed.. i learned to cook most of my own food and use herbs and other things for flavor such as garlic, onion and red bell pepper... i havent had salad dressing in two years . i try really hard to stay away from butter. i use franks hot sauce per the suggestion of a fitness camp i went to. it has sodium in it but apparently just sprinkling it on some food doesnt do any harm if you are trying to reduce sodium because we typically pour sauces and condiments on food . and above all drink a ton of water . i have found a world of difference since i ramped up the water. for me i drink a gallon a day most the time