Only Fooling Myself

Options
feenixd
feenixd Posts: 2 Member
Hi Everyone

I am desperate to lose weight and am hoping to meet people on here who will motivate me, give me ideas and encourage me. I am a lazy dieter - I start on a Monday morning and I've cheated by the end of the day. I'll think of any excuse not to stick to a diet - I've done this week after week and month after month for years and now I have hell of a lot of weight to lose.

I did do MFP last year using the app and lost 17lbs in 5 weeks, but then I went on holiday and never went back on the diet on my return, more fool me because I'm heavier than I was when I started. When I did the diet I lowered my carbs and upped the protein and I felt fantastic in myself, I slept a lot better and I had more energy ........... so why do I find it hard to diet when I know that dieting is the only answer - I am trying to find the willpower to lose weight.

I AM DETERMINED I WILL DO THIS!!

Thank you for listening. :)

Replies

• katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Welcome on board!
    Well done you have the done the hard part by admitting you are only fooling yourself by making up excuses not to! I am happy to support and motivate!
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Because you're thinking of it as a diet... you need to make changes to your lifestyle, not just do things you start and stop.
  • feenixd
    feenixd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the offer of support, I appreciate it and need it desperately.
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You have it! What's your first mini goal? What's your weaknesses?
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I avoid cheating like you mentioned above by planning my days out. The day before I'll usually go through and plan what I'll eat the next day, and stick to the plan.

Granted, things do crop up and happen, lunch with people you didn't expect, etc., and I'll the plug those numbers in while making the best choices in the unexpected events.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Because you're thinking of it as a diet... you need to make changes to your lifestyle, not just do things you start and stop.

This is exactly what I thought when reading your post. If you make it too hard you don't want to get back to it. You have to find something sustainable for you, that's why you can't stick to a "diet". Everytime you go off or take a break, you need to jump right back in as soon as you can. Move more is also a good idea. You have made your mistakes and have seen where it gets you, so now, do it right. Don't set your weight loss to be too aggressive and don't do low carb, or vegetarian, or anything that you are not comfortable with longterm. Good luck.
  • stephanieoverton433
    stephanieoverton433 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I understand exactly how you feel. I know that sorting out my diet will make me feel so much better (about myself and physically), but actually taking control and getting on with it has proved hard, I keep putting it off. That's why I'm back on here today after a long break, feeling ready to start! We can do this!
    Stephanie
  • navywife0801
    navywife0801 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Feenixd, I am in the same boat!! I gained weight when I was pregnant with my son, and vowed to get it all off, and now 6 years and another pregnancy under my belt and I'm no where near the weight I was before my son!
    I'm the same with the yo-yo dieting. One day I'll pledge this that and the other and the next I'll be eating a bag of chips. This time around, I'm doing my best to make healthy changes as opposed to a diet. Learning to like healthier options of foods I do like, and cutting out soda and fast food (my biggest weakness).
    I'm here to support you if you'll support me!!
  • stephanieoverton433
    stephanieoverton433 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Navywife, I hear you, 2 pregnancies do take their toll on your body. Good luck!
  • DennisA70
    DennisA70 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on here that changing the mindset is key. The "diet" word is negatively loaded. Thinking of it a lifestyle change instead has helped me. I know if I don't do this, I won't lose and keep the weight off. The community on here is great and once you have a group of supportive active friends you really find yourself some motivation.