Smoothie help please

Options
MamaTurp
MamaTurp Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I just started replacing 2 meals a day with smoothies a week ago. I've lost 5 pounds so far! But I wonder if you guys might help me tweak my ingredients so that I'm getting all my nutrition? Or suggest other additions to make it even healthier?
I use:
2 grape tomatoes
1 carrot
2 handfuls spinach
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp flax seed (I grind just prior)
3/4 celery stalk
3 or 4 strawberries
Approx 10 or so frozen blueberries
3 or 4 frozen mango chunks
1/4 tsp stevia
1 tsp raw local honey
A bit of cinnamon
1 cup water.

Should I add plain greek yogurt for more protein?
Oats?
A little coconut oil?

Help from any and all appreciated.

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There's not enough information here for people to help you. If there are nutrients you feel you're not getting enough of, you should track those in MFP (Food>Settings) for at least a few days and that will tell you -if you're logging everything you eat, that is. Otherwise, good general advice would be to mix things up i.e. don't just have the same food every day at 2 of 3 meals as you would most certainly be missing important vitamins/minerals/etc. And finally, just looking at the recipe, I'd say adding protein would be a good thing because it contains (almost) none- but not knowing how much you're getting from other sources or anything about your current size, goals, etc. it's hard to say.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you are still making your minimum daily recommended calories, not JUST your vitamins/"nutrition". Yes, this would be a quick way to lose weight for many, but that would also be because they tend to underestimate and eat WAY under the calories they should. This is something many anorexics do, so I just realllllly wanna make sure you keep an eye on your nutrition.
  • MamaTurp
    MamaTurp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Y'all are totally right. I guess you don't have enough info. My MFP app has been down for weeks until today so I'm going to be logging it in and going from there. Thanks!
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    MamaTurp wrote: »
    Y'all are totally right. I guess you don't have enough info. My MFP app has been down for weeks until today so I'm going to be logging it in and going from there. Thanks!

May I ask why you are doing a smoothie diet? What is the goal? If weight loss, making it a smoothie isn't much different than just eating it regular, though it'd mess with the fiber a bit [them poops].
  • alexandriamccann26
    alexandriamccann26 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Deff add some green yogurt for protein and down coconut oil for healthy fat
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    What's the plan when you decide to actually eat for those meals again and you still don't know how to portion?