Overeating on non workout days...why? Need tips

Options
lavrn03
lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
Okay I'll try to keep this short....

Overall I'm happy with my progress and how far I've come with my weight and activity level. I've made amazing lifestyle changes and have stuck with them for almost 2 years. 62 lbs lost thus far.. Last 10 to go!
I LOVE working out and find I need it for my overall mental health.. It keeps me balanced! I lift and do cardio 5 days a week. Overall my diet is great 95% of the time.

Now the problem....
When I go away or have tons of family events on the weekend i tend to eat more. I FEEL hungrier and have strong cravings for more food.
I've recently noticed that if I workout in the morning that I don't do so bad. Not sure if mental I don't want to undo what I just did or I have read there is an enzyme post workout that suppresses your appetite or maybe mentally I stay focused.
I can't always workout due to timing... What other things can I do to help in these situations.
I've tired bringing healthier options but it's not always helpful.
I have to say that after a day or 2 off my routine I hate it and get back on track.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that is mostly temptation eating. When your surrounded by family and friends with all kinds of bad food options your pressured.

For me it took a lot of will power to get past that type pressure.

You can always pre-eat before attending these events. I have done that a lot of times especially if it's a family gathering that will take most of the day. Doing that will allow you to get some nutrition that can last you some hours and you can snack around the family event and not over do it.
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    And working out does do something for me mentally that helps me not eat so much. I guess it's the fact that I don't want to ruin all my hard work or it just makes my stomach upset trying to eat too much after working out
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Eat a little less before you go to these events so you can save some calories for it.

I am also more hungry on rest days. This is when my body says "you did a lot of hard work, now feed me". Deadlifting over 200 lbs doesn't catch up to me until the day after.

Also, when I'm in the gym that's 2-2.5 hours that I'm doing something OTHER than eating/thinking about eating. Keeping busy helps me eat less.
  • tizod9
    tizod9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It could help by cutting non workout days and doing something every day. This takes creativity and discipline.
  • Honest_Angie
    Honest_Angie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can do great most of the time, but when we're low on food and I need to do a grocery run, or when I'm with my in-laws, I tend to eat more and make bad choices. I also notice that when I'm more active, like when I'm doing schoolwork or cleaning my house, I'm not as hungry. I think it's more boredom than anything, I have a hard time determining when I'm actually hungry and when I'm just bored.

A tip a MFP friend gave me is this: "If you find yourself craving something, drink a glass of water and go take a walk. If you're still hungry and having cravings after that, eat whatever it was that you're craving."

This doesn't exactly help when I'm stuck somewhere with the in-laws and can't exactly take a walk, but I've taken this advice and adapted it to fit when I'm going to their house for holidays and events. On the days I know I'm going over there, I drink lots of water to fill me up during the morning and afternoon and skip breakfast or lunch. This way, I can eat with my in-laws and not feel as guilty. I take a walk in the morning to offset some of the calories I know I'm going to eat. It's really hard to count calories when I'm not the one who fixes the meals and I can't exactly ask my mother-in-law to keep the packages from everything so I can scan them.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support.

I'm away for a Mommys getaway. So today I woke up ate the food I brought with me and went to gym. Ate the food I brought for lunch and FEEL great. Everyone still did what they wanted and didn't bug me about my routine. I plan to be "good" and stay on track for the day and later if I have a drink and apps it's OK! I've done well overall today. This I'm okay with....its when I start off "bad" from breakfast on and It doesn't stop, esp if I don't workout.
    That's the part thats frustrating...I love eating well and exercising, but the moment my routine is disrupted I start craving things.
    I know this is life and I'm allowed days to indulge. It's just scary how much "fun food" has a hold of my habits the moment I let down my guard.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Say no.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Use some of those extra calories from exercise days