Am I lacking some kind of nutrient?

Options
I seem to be constantly hungry and tired and fatigued, I'm working on about 1400 calories, my height is five foot and I weigh about 150 pounds, I'm wondering if there's a nutrient I'm missing?

Replies

• lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything logged in your diary, can you give us an idea of what your diet is like? Maybe try to log the last couple of days so you can see if your macronutrient ratios look ok?
  • angeljo2015
    angeljo2015 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    60g oatmeal with honey and fruit
    Apple
    Yogurt and fruit
    Cereal bar
    Wholemeal sandwich with chicken and salad
    Popcorn
    Low calorie crisps
    Chicken roast potatoes and veg

Mostly similar along those lines.with some days I have cereal and fruit, and I'll sometimes have skinless fish with slimming chips and veg or gammon with potatoes and veg

Hope that helps
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You're running low on Vitamin Get-Up-and-Go.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

That's not especially helpful is it really?

OP, do you have enough iron in your diet? I was anaemic for a long time and didn't realise it, and felt so tired constantly. Are there any foods or drinks you're really craving? For example, I used to crave cola zero constantly, turns out it was a calcium deficiency and I upped my dairy intake and it disappeared.

Have you asked a dr about it?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How active are you?
  • angeljo2015
    Options

That's not especially helpful is it really?

OP, do you have enough iron in your diet? I was anaemic for a long time and didn't realise it, and felt so tired constantly. Are there any foods or drinks you're really craving? For example, I used to crave cola zero constantly, turns out it was a calcium deficiency and I upped my dairy intake and it disappeared.

Have you asked a dr about it?

I have had a blood test for thyroid etc but not anaemia, I do crave chocolate a lot or sweet things
  • angeljo2015
    Options
    How active are you?

Work physical job so quite active
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How active are you?

How much are you losing per week?
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you're craving chocolate, magnesium could be the problem, but it could also just be that you're a sugar addict. Haha. I definitely am!
    I know it sounds counter productive but you could also up your fat content....when I say fat, I mean healthy fats. Nuts, fish, avocado. I have found that eating more fats definitely keeps my hunger at bay, and I am no where near as hungry as the previous time I tried to lose weight on low fat and calorie counting (tha failed miserably )

From the diary entry you posted it does look fairly well balanced. 1400 is a reasonable calorie restriction. Maybe try increasing to 1500 and see if you feel any better? Also I do notice there isn't a lot of calcium in that diary entry. I only go on about calcium because like I said I was very deficient in it, and feel much better since I have more. If none of this works, maybe go and see a dr. It's normal to feel a little drained at the beginning because you're cutting calories out, but after a week or two you should settle into it.

Good luck!
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The symptoms sound kind of like low iron, if you think you're missing a nutrient. I would tell a doctor your symptoms and just get a blood test to be sure - none of us are experts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell from a simple list of foods you're eating, so one thing to consider (in addition to advice above) is whether you're getting enough protein. I'd suggest shooting for 0.6-0.8g per pound of goal weight, at least. More is OK, if you're healthy.

If you have an active job, your calorie level may be insufficient. If you're losing more than 2 pounds a week, add more calories. In fact, since you have not a huge amount to lose, and you're hungry/tired, considering adding calories if you're losing more than a pound a week.

If you're just starting out losing, you may have an adjustment period where you feel hungry (couple of weeks) even if you're getting good nutrition. Tired is a different story, and more concerning.

One option would be to start your calorie level at maintenance (estimated level where you'd neither gain nor lose) for a 2-3 weeks. If you lose, the calculators are underestimating your calorie needs. If you don't lose, cut your calories by 100-200 per day, then monitor for another 2-3 weeks or so. Keep doing that until you find the point that seems comfortable, sustainable, and achievable, and eat at that level.

Yes, this would be slow, but I'm sure the extra weight wasn't gained quickly. In order to lose it successfully, you'll need to do something that keeps you feeling good and functioning well while you lose, over a long period of time. Otherwise, there'll be a bigger risk of falling into cycles of craving and overeating.

Hoping you find a workable balance!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    1400 on a physically active job? =/

Maybe the culprit?

HOWEVER... you could try a midday nap. If tired, sleep. It could really be as simple as that.
  • angeljo2015
    Options
    Thanks guys for so much information I wondered about iron myself and might add healthy fats I eat yogurt but guess might not be enough calcium there
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How active are you?

This. If you work a physically active job, your activity level should be set at Active. And at 150 lbs, you don't have much to lose, so your weekly goal should be no more than 1 lb per week. I'm guessing either you set your activity level at sedentary or your goal at 2 lbs per week.

If you are just starting out (so it's too soon to judge your pace of weight loss), or if you have been at this for a little while and your losing more than 1 lb per week, eat more. I am 5'4" and not very active, and I need @ 1500 cals at least to feel my best.
  • senennieves
    senennieves Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i just take a good multivitamin to cover my lows if any.
  • angeljo2015
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    How active are you?

This. If you work a physically active job, your activity level should be set at Active. And at 150 lbs, you don't have much to lose, so your weekly goal should be no more than 1 lb per week. I'm guessing either you set your activity level at sedentary or your goal at 2 lbs per week.

If you are just starting out (so it's too soon to judge your pace of weight loss), or if you have been at this for a little while and your losing more than 1 lb per week, eat more. I am 5'4" and not very active, and I need @ 1500 cals at least to feel my best.

I have lost two stone on slimming world here but just got about 10-12 pounds left to lose, perhaps calories I'm having maybe an issue
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Since you've had your blood work tested, you are active and your calories are in range for a sedentary person, I have two ideas. You may be eating too little or you may be depressed.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    How active are you?

I have lost two stone on slimming world here but just got about 10-12 pounds left to lose, perhaps calories I'm having maybe an issue

So check and make sure your account settings are correct - Active and no more than 1 lb per week goal, and see how many calories it gives you. I'm a firm believer that you should always start with the most obvious possibility, and if you're hungry and tired, the most obvious possibility is you simply aren't eating enough to fuel your active life :) Good luck!
  • jollyreddgiant
    jollyreddgiant Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try some healthy fats in your diet. I don't see any there. Like a tablespoon of coconut oil or some nuts. Fats make you feel full longer than carbs for the same calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Do you cook in an iron pot or skillet? This helps get iron into you.