Water

Options
I have not drank a glass of water since I was 10 years old. I have heard good and bad things about drinking water through the years. Lately I have heard that drinking 8 glasses could be bad as it could flush out the electrolytes in the body. My question is If I drink unsweetened green tea or coffee through the day and meet the 8 glasses a day. What difference does it make? As long as I get enough fluids in my system?

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If it's caffeinated, it will be counter-productive as caffeine dehydrates. It's also a natural diuretic. Water intake should only be counted if the tea or coffee is decaffeinated.

Edited to add: I put Crystal Light flavored packets in my bottles of water until I could completely switch over to water. I still don't love water, but I drink it anyway. I also drink it at room temperature because it is easier for me to get down that way.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    troll?
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    coffee and tea have caffeine. caffeine depletes your water. you also flush fat cells and sodium out in your pee as well as toxins; never heard the electrolyte thing before. drinking water is a huge part of weight loss for me.

8cups a day is for someone who weighs 130 pounds. Im 270 and need 17 cups a day.. you need half of your body weight in ounces a day.
  • crysmiss86
    crysmiss86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You need water to clean toxins from your body, It is also good to keep the skin happy. Also, without water your liver can't do it's job quickly. Water is good for you, period.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have not drank a glass of water since I was 10 years old. I have heard good and bad things about drinking water through the years. Lately I have heard that drinking 8 glasses could be bad as it could flush out the electrolytes in the body. My question is If I drink unsweetened green tea or coffee through the day and meet the 8 glasses a day. What difference does it make? As long as I get enough fluids in my system?

Are you serious?
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I agree. I do not drink caffeine. Your body is made up of water and need it to function.
  • mikefit48
    mikefit48 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you drinking water was a negative was really really wrong. Pure water is needed and necessary and doesn't flush electrolytes from your body if you are eating correctly. Green Tea and Coffee are fine to drink. Good luck!
  • ditzee
    ditzee Posts: 49
    Options
    I only drink decaf. No sodas, and juice very seldom. thanks
  • naeswirl
    naeswirl Posts: 56
    Options
    LAWDY 17 CUPS!! Where are you getting this info? I do good to get in 8 LOL! :smooched:
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Drink water when you are thirsty. If you drink water when you are thirsty and are not a profuse salty sweater, your electrolyte levels should be fine, unless you have a medical condition. Electrolyte levels are more largely a concern for endurance athletes who lose a lot of salt through their sweat.

You will know if you are hydrated enough if your pee is light yellow. If it is dark, you need to work on drinking more.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    Whoever told you drinking water was a negative was really really wrong. Pure water is needed and necessary and doesn't flush electrolytes from your body if you are eating correctly. Green Tea and Coffee are fine to drink. Good luck!

Not necessarily. It is dependent on other things as well.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I drink 12 glasses a day minimum. I try to drink at least a gallon, but I don't always get there... I'm happy if I get my 12 though. Not hard to do since I drink a LOT when I am working out.

you need water. All of your organs function properly only when hydrated properly...
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love water. I cannot imagine NOT drinking it. It's good for your skin, body and flushes out toxins when you urinate. Too much water is pretty dangerous. I tend to drink 3-4 liters a day which is the norm for me. I live in Texas where it is quite hot in the spring/summer and I workout daily, so, I have to drink a lot of water.
  • ditzee
    Options
    Yes I am serious about the water. When I was 10 my family was traveling and we all got sick on the water it had some bacteria in. I don't remember the where to's and what for's but I was really sick and haven't drank it since then. Only if it is boiled and mixed with tea or coffee. Can't even drink it after it is boiled unless mixed in something. Hence the question.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    And also, for the record, it doesn't flush out the electrolytes, it just dilutes them to unsafe levels in your system. Your body has a specific balance it likes to keep.
  • bosoxjenn
    bosoxjenn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I heard a doctor on the radio say that if you take your weight and divide it by 2, that's how many ounces of water a day you should drink if you are trying to lose weight. This idea was confirmed in nursing school, as well. I did it once years ago and lost 10 pounds quickly...now, that's "water weight", but it really does help. I am just starting my weight loss journey again and it is really helping. I feel better, too, and find myself craving water throughout the day.

I am a major coffee drinker, but I am finding that the more water I drink, the less coffee I need. I was 1-2 pots a day depending on my work schedule (a pot throughout the day at home, then close to another when I work my night shifts). I have been drinking my water and only have 3 cups a day...that is including when I work my night shifts!
  • ditzee
    Options
    I live in Texas to and yes it is hot. I get in more than 8 glasses a day as far as fluid. Its just not water.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are getting your water facts, but 8 cups of water is the absolute minimum to just sustain you. The fear that it will 'flush out' electrolytes is .... well.... asinine. Water is NOT going to kill you. I promise. I live in the desert and I can't imagine going an hour without sipping on water! I am so amazed by your phobia. Good luck with that.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    Also, OP, if your pee is light yellow, you are properly hydrated, no matter what you're drinking.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yes I am serious about the water. When I was 10 my family was traveling and we all got sick on the water it had some bacteria in. I don't remember the where to's and what for's but I was really sick and haven't drank it since then. Only if it is boiled and mixed with tea or coffee. Can't even drink it after it is boiled unless mixed in something. Hence the question.

Bottled water would be safe from bacteria or any other additives (fluoride, etc.). Check out all of the different brands they have in stores now to flavor water. There are even some green tea flavors. Start off slow with something like that. It's pretty easy to make the transition after that.