Protein

Options
What is a good amount of protein to shoot for in a day? I always seem to go WAY over on my daily Protein but not sure how to figure out what I should try to get in a day.

Replies

• pebbam69
    pebbam69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It depends are you trying to lose weight gain weight pack on muscle? And how often do you work out?
  • TracyTesch83
    TracyTesch83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight, I don't work out very often at the gym but I have been getting 10,000-13,000 steps in a day as a form of exercise because I have a desk job.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    The general consensus in the research seems to be 1.4-1.6 g per kg if you are active and/or in a caloric restriction
  • pebbam69
    Options
    Ok so just so you know i am not a professional however i would recomend a normal amount of protien about 36 grams witch you can get from high protine foods such ad meats be carfull of the fatty ness of the meat though i find chicken breast to be the best and turkey. One thing i have found in my experience is that jogging and walking isnt enough alot of the time if you build muscle it will use and burn more of the fat and carbs resulting in fatty weight loss so maybe doing some squats, push ups, and situps, could help speed things up i dont run i do walk about 13,000 steps a day but i lift weights 5 days a week and ive been droping weight quicker then befor when i just dieted and joged i hope this helps feel free to message me if you have any questions
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Minimum for a sedentary woman is 46 grams of protein per day.
    Just a number to keep in mind.
    My goal is 70 grams a day, but I am high "good carbs" dieter.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The RDA for adequate protein for most adults is 0.8 grams per kilogram of ideal weight. That's about 46 grams of protein per day for non-pregnant, non-lactating women and 56 grams for men.

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

The recommendation I've seen for optimal protein (especially if body building or losing weight) is 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal weight (middle of normal BMI).

Personally, I aim for about 70 grams per day which falls between adequate and optimal but works for me.
  • TracyTesch83
    TracyTesch83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ok good info thanks guys I think i am getting a bit to much protein, might have to try adjusting it and see if that makes a difference.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    pebbam69 wrote: »
    Ok so just so you know i am not a professional however i would recomend a normal amount of protien about 36 grams witch you can get from high protine foods such ad meats be carfull of the fatty ness of the meat though i find chicken breast to be the best and turkey. One thing i have found in my experience is that jogging and walking isnt enough alot of the time if you build muscle it will use and burn more of the fat and carbs resulting in fatty weight loss so maybe doing some squats, push ups, and situps, could help speed things up i dont run i do walk about 13,000 steps a day but i lift weights 5 days a week and ive been droping weight quicker then befor when i just dieted and joged i hope this helps feel free to message me if you have any questions

That is NOT enough...
    .8 - 1.2 grams per pound of goal weight is my recommendation.
    The recommendation of .8 grams per kilogram is a bare minimum for sedentary individuals who are not losing weight.
    If you are active or losing weight you need more.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It depends are you trying to lose weight gain weight pack on muscle? And how often do you work out?

No it doesn't...

Ok so just so you know i am not a professional however i would recomend a normal amount of protien about 36 grams

Your recommendation is absurdly low, and I have no idea where you randomly pulled that arbitrary number from, but it's a terrible recommendation for basically anybody who doesn't have failing kidneys...

Carlos_421 wrote: »
    The recommendation of .8 grams per kilogram is a bare minimum for sedentary individuals who are not losing weight.

Listen to this info OP
  • pebbam69
    Options
    Yo aj dont be a dick about it when u drop 100 lbs in a year come talk to me bro
  • pebbam69
    Options
    Everyones body is different i simply explained what i did
  • liams987
    liams987 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Trying to gain weight or lose weight isn't too important. Protein should be fairly high regardless. 30% of your diet on myfitnesspal or around 90 grams for a female. Protein is so important in muscle development and maintaining strength
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb high protein
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

You likely lost a great deal of lean body nass eating so little protein while losing 100#.

I aim for .8kg per lb of my goal weight. I have lost 75#.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

That is NOT enough...

This ^.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

If you lost 100 lbs consuming 36g of protein a day you lost a bunch of muscle in those 100 lbs.
  • pebbam69
    Options
    I have to apologize to every one i was incorrect i looked back into my files and was consuming an average of 200 g of protien with little to no carbs aj i definintly owe u an apologie my bad guys aj was correct
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight (body fat) then you need to track your carbohydrate intake, not your calories. Protein intake depends on your own weight and goal. Aim for 1 gram per pound of body weight, then half of that is your fats, the rest is carbs, but the main element to losing weight is being in a calorie deficit. To have a healthy balanced diet is a lifestyle.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight (body fat) then you need to track your carbohydrate intake, not your calories. Protein intake depends on your own weight and goal. Aim for 1 gram per pound of body weight, then half of that is your fats, the rest is carbs, but the main element to losing weight is being in a calorie deficit. To have a healthy balanced diet is a lifestyle.

These two statements are quite contradictory.