Can someone help me? I am new...

Options
Hi!
I am brand new to this whole sight and so far i LOVE it. I was really feeling i could benefiet from looking at other peoples food diary to see what meals and things they eat to stay under 1200 calories. I have tried but i cant seem to figure it out. Is this possible? And if so, how do i vew it?

Thanks!

xoxox Beth

Replies

• Unbreakable360
    Options
    ...that's a pretty low calorie count...so I would make sure that that is what you want to do...but as far as seeing other people diary....they would have to allow that....mine is open to my friends...but I do a 1900 calorie count.....oh...and welcome...!!!...good to have you on board...!!!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed foods and you will find that it is VERY easy to stay within your calorie count.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    eat more fruits and vegetables. strawberries are low in calories, apples are filling, as are potatoes. carrots, celery, tomatoes. . .

you get to eat more for less calories and you get good nutrition at the same time. also, green beans, pears, grapes, oranges.

air popped popcorn with no flavorings (good source of protein).

if you haven't already guessed, I'm a vegetarian. I find I get to eat larger portions and still lose weight. when I want to balance my weight, I'll start eating nuts. right now, I get my protein from egg-beaters.
  • AdGalicia
    AdGalicia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    well I have never been able to stay under 1280!!! Normally I eat 1500-1800 daily
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Remember that it's 1200 NET calories-eat back your exercise calories to make that happen. I personally can't exist on 1200 and have always had my loss goal set so that I can eat more plus my exercise calories. Some folks have no issues with 1200 and actually struggle to eat that many! (I think they are the same people who "forget" to eat! JK!)

As far as seeing diaries goes, you could do a search for "open diaries" and will find a zillion threads and people with open diaries will often post saying that their's is open take a look. Mine is open but I've not been really good lately and I usually eat between 1600-2000 depending on the workout I get in so don't know how much help it would be to you.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    under 1200 calories is starvation mode. dont wanna see you hit a plateau in a few weeks. if mfp gives u a goal of 1200, dont try to shoot for anything under that, try to shoot for right on target. if u excercise, you burn calories that u need to eat back in order to net the 1200 calories..

eating healthier, natural foods, youll have no problem staying on target.. play with entries, entering in a whole day ahead of time, and fitting things in and taking them out if they put u over and replacing with something low calorie, etc.
  • kmamac
    kmamac Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I maintain a 1200 calorie limit, and with a few missteps here and there have lost 15lbs in 8 weeks . It's really all about discipline, and lots of fruits, veggies and water!! Lean proteins and portion control are key. If you don't have a digital food scale, I would run out and get one, as well as a good multi-vitamin. This mobile app has saved me, and kept me on track. Enjoy and best of luck!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You can add me or I think my diary is public? Friends are welcome though =] I try to stay within the 1200-1300 calorie count. I'm vegan, but I'm sure there's different variations someone could do based on what I eat.
  • BethanySouthard
    Options
    Unbreakable360

I clicked on your picture and it took me to your profile. But all I see is your about me, friends, pictures, etc. I can not see your food entries and what you eat daily and i dont know what to click to get to it. Do you know? Can you see mine?
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My limit is 1740, and I'm a vegetarian (bordering on vegan), but if you want to see my diary, feel free to friend me and you can see it.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • BethanySouthard
    Options
    thank you guys.. yall are all so sweet !! :heart:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My diary is open but I can't survive on 1200 - it may not be necessary for you either :)
    About 1500 net calories (that means my daily allowance of 1500 plus what I burn from exercise) seems to be the sweet spot for me to lose weight steadily and not be unbearably grumpy. I'm 5'4" and about 165 pounds currently.
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the others. The key is eating food that is not nutrient dense. Most processed food is designed to be rich and fulfilling, and we tend to eat too much at one time.

Try adding much more fresh vegetables and fruits. Eat what you want - that is, don't say "I can never eat chocolate again!" - this is a change in lifestyle, not punishment. You can eat chocolate or whatever, but you'll be learning how to eat a reasonable amount. (And with this caveat: there are likely trigger foods for you that induce you to binge eating. You'll probably need to severely restrict those or even eliminate them for a while until you learn how to control your eating. That's OK - just don't think of it as punishment but as preparation.)

Drink lots of water. There are purists here (whom I admire) who only count plain water as water, and there are those here who count water+Crystal Light or other flavorings. It's almost a religious debate, and I avoid it by not participating it it. What ever floats your boat - drink lots of water. My _opinion_ is that plain water is the best. But that is an _opinion_. (We get a lot of water by eating food, especially water-rich fruits.) I don't believe there is any food you should avoid because someone else tells you not to eat it. If you don't want to eat it - don't. If you do - then eat it, and let the judgmental people feel righteous, but ignore them.

Really try hard to look at what you eat and record it. if it embarrasses you to show us what you're eating/drinking, then hide your diary. No reason to add to the difficulty. But - record everything, because then you'll see the times of day where you're sneaking food in, or eating foods in too large a portion. If you can, try to keep an emotional diary as well - when you feel the urge to eat, write down why you think it is. Most of the time we are not really hungry. We're bored, or empty, or frustrated, and food fills the hole. (And a lot of times when we're thirsty we think we're hungry, so try drinking a large glass of water when you're hungry & then wait 10-20 minutes before you consider eating.)

Really, REALLY work at getting exercise into your lifestyle. It doesn't have to be at a gym. But try to get 20-30 minutes of exercise that exerts you. That's making your body work a little harder & will increase your metabolism. Plus - believe me on this - you'll feel better, not just because you did something you should do, but because something about exercise makes us feel better. If you're exercising and it hurts - stop. Don't walk or run so much you bruise your heels; don't lift weights to the point of pulling a muscle, and so on. If you are trying an exercise you're not used to, get help. Ask. If you have friends who perform the exercise, ask them how to do it. If you are a member of a gym - great! There are people there who are trained.

Food really isn't that powerful. We just think it is. It's OK that you're learning how to gain control of your eating. If you make mistakes - then admit it, pick yourself up, and start again. This isn't a contest, and we're not going to have an awards ceremony.

Good luck. You're on the right path.
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 net calories a day and lost quite a few pounds, then starvation mode hit. I've increased my net calories a few times since losing more weight. At this point I try to keep mine between 1400-1500. Of course there are days when I'm closer to 1200-1300 and other days when I'm closer to 1600-1700. I've become a little more flexible the longer I'm doing it and find that changing it up here and there actually helps. One big day and a couple small days shocks my body instead of letting it fall into a routine every day. My diary is open, feel free to take a look if you want. I will warn you, though, I do splurge every once in a while. This isn't a diet for me, it's a lifestyle change, and I don't "cut" anything out of my diet, just moderate. Welcome and good luck! It's a great community...feel free to ask questions along the way...we all were where you are once upon a time. :)
  • sambo32
    sambo32 Posts: 5
    Options
    I stick to 1200 for the most part. You can friend me to see my diary if you like.
    A general rule is
    Breakfast: 300
    Snack: 150
    Lunch: 300
    Snack: 150
    Dinner: 300
    + lots of water

I did 3 months+ of eating 1200 and lots of exercise, I did not eat into my exercise. I now average 1200-1300 a day, and burn 200-400 a day, and am finding that manageable for ME! Everyone is different, and it makes a huge difference what type of foods go into your mouth to make up your calories!