I'm Addicted To Food!

Options
I can't get in the right mindset. I feel so discouraged! I know i'm doing it to myself but i just keep turning to food. All i want to do is eat even when i'm not hungry. Then when i do start to diet i feel starved. Maybe it's cause my stomach is so stretched out. idk but i really want and know i need to lose weight but i dont know how to stop being so addicted to food.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're eating your feelings. Look at dealing with the issues so you don't need to turn to food.
  • ShrinkingStargazer
    ShrinkingStargazer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    yea i guess i am :(
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You'll start to enjoy food a lot more when you stop mindlessly grazing on it.

You need to work on why you do it, and then teach yourself to stop. Calorie counting and pre-logging your food diary days can help a little bit (but not with the emotional issues!)
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Why not try figuring out your maintenance calories and sticking to that for a while? It might be more manageable than whatever you're doing when you try to diet.
  • claudixkiddo
    claudixkiddo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to eat less than what you're eating. Instead of a big plate put a little one. And eat slowly! If you can't control your starve at least control yourself while eating. Eat little, eat veggies and fruits... I have the same problem. By doing so I lost 1kg in a week and a half. Hope this helps you. ☺
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe try talking to a therapist about things that are stressing you out? I have worked in eating disorder treatment before and it's never an addiction to the food itself, it's always more about using food and eating to cope. Find some hobbies not related to food.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Try eating at a smaller deficit. What do you have your diary set to lose per week right now?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Some people feel more hungry when they first cut back -- it's a mental thing. What worked for me:

(1) Making sure I was eating a reasonable amount of food -- don't cut too low. Cut down more gradually if struggling.

(2) Getting on a set eating schedule and making sure I enjoyed my meals instead of just mindlessly eating. For me this means 3 larger meals, since I enjoy them and don't really enjoy having a snack as much, but people will vary. Pick a schedule and try it and modify later if you want.

(3) Making sure my meals had decent volume and were satisfying -- having some protein, some veg, and was a meal I liked helped. (I also eat other foods, but protein and veg are the starting blocks I build a meal around.)

(4) When I first decided to stick to these set meals of my total goal calories, I of course wanted to eat at other times, because that was my habit and I too used food for stress and boredom and emotional stuff. When I wanted to eat I forced myself to remember how soon my next meal was and how I was looking forward to it and to see the anticipation as pleasure. I thought about what I'd eaten that day and if I was really hungry and maybe journaled about WHY I wanted to eat. I perhaps had some water or a cup of coffee (doesn't kill appetite for me, but served the "something to do" purpose). If possible I considered some other stress release like a quick walk or some exercise. AND if I really just wanted to eat, I let myself eat as much as I wanted of low calorie raw vegetables. By the end of the first week I'd adjusted and didn't need the raw vegetables any more.

If it's really just food you want, the raw vegetables should be sufficient without making you go over calories.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When it gets really bad for me I buy gums..honestly I do chew the whole packet sometimes but it saves the kcsls..lol
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions up above, so I'm just gonna add this: make sure to include foods that you love. Don't think of it as "a diet". That word has so many connotations to it. It brings dread, it's thought of as temporary, and it's thought that one has to give up all bread, pasta, cookies, and ice cream and instead eat nothing but itty bitty plates of vegetables. I started like that, and ended up eating whole packages of cookies, pints of ice cream, and bags of chips, not because I was hungry but because I missed my dang food lol. So make sure to still eat the foods that you like, just smaller portions, and work stuff like cookies in with a day of nutrient-dense foods. Also, if your goal is too large a deficit, maybe do a smaller one. It could lead to less of a starving feeling

Best of luck :)
  • KrissaJane92
    KrissaJane92 Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    When you first start, it feels like you're starving. And yes, food is addictive; any type of food too. You can slowly cut off or cut off everything at once. For me, I cut everything out at once.
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't think people can be addicted to food. We can be addicted to food behaviors, but not food. So, perhaps work on your behaviors then peace with food will follow.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't think people can be addicted to food. We can be addicted to food behaviors, but not food. So, perhaps work on your behaviors then peace with food will follow.

+1
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Foods are addictive because they are pleasurable that come quite cheap. :) Like cigarette, alcohol which the govt curbs by making them more costly, example higher taxes.

You gotta work to lessen "the addiction" which is to remove yourself from the current, familiar situation/daily plan.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

+2
  • JamesBost2016
    JamesBost2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I believe that a food addiction is just like any other addiction. You can't cure it, just battle it one day at a time. Set your goals small so that you are able to meet them and then move on to the next. Try setting your goal to lose 1 pound this week instead of saying you want to lose 50 pounds total. Good luck, keep getting trying over and over again.