Magnesium Potassium and muscle cramps

Options
So I am supposed to introduce myself, but in all honesty we are all the same, we have a goal to live better, lose weight, get fit, etc. and we all have a life. I just want to say that I've recently started to try to figure out why in the past two years I was having a lot of leg cramping, more often than ever before, even when I was pregnant last, 17 years ago, and thanks to the internet and people who dedicate their time to putting this information out, I found that my problems were narrowed down to two items, lack of magnesium and lack of potassium, and studied my eating habits and realized that while trying to minimize calorie intake I was also denying my body important nutrients, so I had to be smart in what I would eat, to end this post, I got it, I am good now, but I thought you'd help yourselves (whoever reads this) by doing your own research, here is one link that addressed magnesium, I found the information related to depression of particular interest.
http://www.mg12.info/general-conclusions.html

All in all, nice to meet you and I wish you the best on your endeavors to get fit.

Replies

• clfinn
    clfinn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Glad you are feeling better! I've been doing a lot of reading on magnesium deficiency too. Thanks for the link!
  • 5272butler
    5272butler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Heartily concur on the importance of magnesium and potassium. In hindsight I think I could have avoided several hospital stays had I been paying attention to those specifically. I now rely on Calm brand magnesium powder when constipated and drink a can of V8 (original) when I wake up in the middle of the night with cramps. Oh, and I am starting (duh!) to take daily mg / potassium supplements to avoid both.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I began to experience night foot cramps. They'd wake me up. It was awful. On a lark I soaked a foot in Epsom salts for 30 minutes. One more cramp 2 days later but none since. On another lark I applied a poultice of Epsom salts to my wife's purple eczema on her arm. It's been a week since and her skin is almost clear. Tomorrow we'll share a good foot soak in warm magnesium water.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I tried to read several pages of the link. The person writing is does not write well in English. Also, they don't cite sources. I'm enthusiastic about magnesium and potassium. I sprinkled No Salt potassium-chloride, on my food today and I've become a fan of Epsom salts for the magnesium, but what I crave in the field of knowledge is good science, not just good web design.
  • BeautyPi
    BeautyPi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements worked like wonders when I had both shoulders muscle just not responding to anything I couldn't lift either of my arms at one point and after a lot of research I decided to take the supplements my self as doctors were so useless is explaining what was happening. After 2/3 days I felt a huge difference I could gradually lift my arms and they return back to normal. However once I had too much magnesium in my body it did cause diarrehea like symptoms so I reduced the intake. It was a godsend for me.

Feel free to add me I'm new here too