Type 2 Diabetic: I need some info

Options
penny39
penny39 Posts: 266 Member
When something is labeled sugar free and it has say 29 carbs on the label, is that true carbs or do I deduct fiber and /or sugar alcohols from that number? I am just trying to figure out sugar free affects on my carb counting. My doctor wants me below a100 carbs per day.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    I am not sure on this but I thought you add sugars to the carb number for a true carb number. Hopefully someone will reply that can verify this.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Penny, instead of watching carbs, watch your sugar intake: fructose, sucrose, glucose, high fructose corn syrup. I honestly do not understand how people can be on a high protein/low carb diet when it is not sustainable.

You will find out, if you haven't already, the packaged, processed foods we eat are full of high fructose corn syrup (sugar) and very little fiber which makes us prone to obesity and a high cause of diabetes.

I invite you to listen to a podcast by Dr. John McDougall interviewing Dr. Atkins and see for yourself how carbs fit in your life.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/mcdougallcast/media/2007-05-03_01_track_1.mp3
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Sugars are carbs - don't add them to carbs, as someone else suggested; they are already included.

I have Type 1 diabetes and have to count carbs in order to give myself my insulin. Fiber can be subtracted to give a 'net carbs' total only if the fiber per individual serving is 5g or higher. Otherwise it really has little to no affect on the carb amount used by your body (aka how much is converted to glucose in the body).

Sugar alcohols should already be included as carbs on the label as well, so don't add them to the carb total already on the nutrition label. Basically when you see 'sugars' 'sugar alcohols' or 'fiber' differentiated on the label they are just showing you WHERE the carbs come from, not that these things are in ADDITION to the carb content.

Also, I don't recommend sugar free products. They are almost NEVER lower in carbs, because they have 'sugar alcohols' in them. These alcohols almost always still get converted to glucose in the body. In addition, many sugar free and diet products are higher in fat content because of additives meant to make them taste better and more like the normal product.

I recommend that if you need to do lower carb for any reason you need to eat veggies and fruits. Stay away from sugary cereals. Eat rice or pasta in moderation.
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Penny, instead of watching carbs, watch your sugar intake: fructose, sucrose, glucose, high fructose corn syrup. I honestly do not understand how people can be on a high protein/low carb diet when it is not sustainable.

You will find out, if you haven't already, the packaged, processed foods we eat are full of high fructose corn syrup (sugar) and very little fiber which makes us prone to obesity and a high cause of diabetes.

I invite you to listen to a podcast by Dr. John McDougall interviewing Dr. Atkins and see for yourself how carbs fit in your life.

Just my opinion, but I strongly disagree with this. I would follow your doctor's advice. After all, that is why we pay them. *smile* Good luck with the low carb thing. I am trying to keep my carbs low as a side effect of PCOS is insulin resistant. I never really just how much sugar is found everywhere.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options

Not sustainable? In what way? I know Type 2 diabetics who've done low carb/high protein diets for YEARS and are very healthy. They've lost weight, and their lipid panels are now fantastic. Their blood sugars have also stabilized.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 Diabetic and have PCOS...and other things. By the time this day is done, I will have had almost 190 grams of carbs. My A1C is in a NORMAL range.

People, stop being afraid of carbs!! Aside from Type 1's, anyone can work off consumed carbs. I workout after my highest carb meal. I do HEALTHY carbs...natural carbs.

Of course, I also splurge on Saturdays. Yes, I have my cake and eat it, too. Literally, cake!

The doctor I pay to see, is an Endocrinologist specializing in Diabetics with PCOS. I've taken the classes and I'm living proof ya don't have to limit carbs so much.

(Edit: I say "aside from Type 1's because I don't remember how things work too well with that, simply because I'm Type 2 and was interested in getting myself back to normal. So, no offense to Type 1's.)
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I'm a type 2 Diabetic and have PCOS...and other things. By the time this day is done, I will have had almost 190 grams of carbs. My A1C is in a NORMAL range.

People, stop being afraid of carbs!! Aside from Type 1's, anyone can work off consumed carbs. I workout after my highest carb meal. I do HEALTHY carbs...natural carbs.

Of course, I also splurge on Saturdays. Yes, I have my cake and eat it, too. Literally, cake!

The doctor I pay to see, is an Endocrinologist specializing in Diabetics with PCOS. I've taken the classes and I'm living proof ya don't have to limit carbs so much.

(Edit: I say "aside from Type 1's because I don't remember how things work too well with that, simply because I'm Type 2 and was interested in getting myself back to normal. So, no offense to Type 1's.)

Type 1s can work off carbs, with exercise, just like other people :) We just have to decrease our insulin (which is easy for me with my insulin pump) or eat protein/fat to sustain our blood sugars through workouts so that we don't have a hypoglycemic episode!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

Type 1s can work off carbs, with exercise, just like other people :) We just have to decrease our insulin (which is easy for me with my insulin pump) or eat protein/fat to sustain our blood sugars through workouts so that we don't have a hypoglycemic episode!

I thought that but I couldn't remember for sure, so I wasn't going to go there. I know with Type 1's it can be more involved than that of Type 2...provided Type 2 controls it.

For Type 2's...simple, choose healthier carbs and move yourselves, especially after a larger quantity of carbs.
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, very interesting debate!