Bread substitute

Options
sazh
sazh Posts: 3 Member
Hey everyone,

I'd like to people's advice on a substitute for bread.
Bread seems to be the only high carb food that affects my body fat but working in an office, sandwiches are one of the most convenient lunch options.

Also do I need to cut out bread completely to keep my body fat down when trying to build muscle mass and lose stubborn fat?

Thanks

Replies

• 4gotNcharlie
    4gotNcharlie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question for me to go back and do a little research. I'll try the sandwich on a cucumber for lunch today.
  • sazh
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I'll have to keep a better track on my cal intake if I want to keep eating bread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    bread has nothing to do with whether or not you lose fat. energy (calories) consume in excess of what you expend is what causes one to get fat.

I eat plenty of sandwiches.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Less bread if you have to.
    Nuffink can replace bread for me
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I get the 40 calorie honey wheat bread by Nature's Own. 2 slices is supposed to be 80 calories, but when I weigh it out, it is almost always around 88 calories. But still not bad at all, in my opinion. There are also some Sara Lee bread's that are 45 calories a slice. There's also flat breads and wraps available.
  • JenRainbow1
    JenRainbow1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wraps?
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I subsiyute bread with wraps but I still eat bread
  • sazh
    Options
    Wraps?

I've always been under the impression that wraps are more processed and contain more trans fat than bread?

Don't get me wrong I eat wraps at least twice a week to mix it up.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ryvita works for me 4 x 45 calories each = 180 calories with filling of your choice.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can eat the bread. Don't over think this. If you're eating so much bread it's taking you over your calorie goal or stopping you from getting in enough protein/fat within your goal, cut back.

That said, I choose not to really eat bread on the regular lol. I just put everything I'd want in a salad on enough lettuce for like 4 people.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I eat whole wheat tortillas, 120cals for the large ones (I think 70cals for the small?), or light rye bread.

For breakfast, I've cut back to one piece of bread with cream cheese or avocado or something, and fruit.

I could never get rid of bread entirely and refuse to demonize it :P
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I agree with nature's own. It seems to be a low calorie brand. Also, the weight watchers bread, even though it is thinner and smaller than most breads. There's also the Sara Lee and Pepperidge farms.
    Wraps?

Some tortillas have around 100 cal or more, which is around the same as a standard white slice of bread.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wraps are just as processed as bread and can have the same or more calories.
    If you want to save calories for something else by not eating bread, use romaine or other lettuce to hold the sandwich materials like this.http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2015/05/19/healthy-low-carb-blt-turkey-club-lettuce-wraps/
    (Pack the lettuce separately for lunches perhaps.)
    Or take ham and cheese roll ups. http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/pickle-roll-ups-66175.aspx
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    sazh wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I'd like to people's advice on a substitute for bread.
    Bread seems to be the only high carb food that affects my body fat but working in an office, sandwiches are one of the most convenient lunch options.

Also do I need to cut out bread completely to keep my body fat down when trying to build muscle mass and lose stubborn fat?

Thanks

I use kingsmill sandwhich thins (99cal) for lunches and if i have a low calorie soup or something i would have a pitta bread (150cal).
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    the Ole high fiber wraps(found at Walmart) and other stores are excellent- only 50 calories, low fat and high fiber. I enjoy these on occasion as well as the low cal breads
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Remember carbs fuel your workout. If you cut out too many then you won't have the energy to work out
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could cut out bread. Fresh baguettes with butter and salt, ciabatta and sourdough bruschetta, sandwiches, pizza ect. Love the breads. eat them about everyday. make them fit if you like it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I just skip the bread entirely. Unless it is a great homemade bread, I think of bread as something to hold the sandwich fixings. I skip it and eat some extra cheese and meat.