Breastfeeding mamas

Options
Any breastfeeding mamas out there, and if so, are you adjusting your calorie numbers because of it? And by how much? I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 9 week old and I am starving every day on this 1560 calorie a day diet!! I'm wondering if I should be eating more... (or if I just want to be eating more! :))

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I logged a daily cardio exercise "breastfeeding" that gave me 500 extra calories per day, until baby started solids, then I dropped it to 300 extra calories per day. 1560 is probably way too low for a lactating woman (most lactation consultants would caution you not to go below 1800 cal per day). HTH!
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options
    You need more.. If you're breastfeeding you should add 500 calories to your diet.
    So right now, you're using 500 calories for your baby and only 1060 for your self. No wonder you're hungry and starving :*

You can eat up to 2500 calories per day when you're breastfeeding but if you wanna loose a little weight I'd go with 2000 cal.

Just remember that you can loose your milk if you don't eat enough so go eat 500 calories and enjoy it :D

• Eilata
    Eilata Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely add more. I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 7 week old and set my daily calorie goal at 2100.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I was losing weight on 2400 with a baby who was eating solids (7 months old), almost 2 lbs a week. My baby is older now (15 months) and I can get away with a lot fewer, although my supply is all over the place. But he drinks water & cow milk so I'm not worried about it anymore. I had supply issues early on so I didn't cut calories until my little guy started solids.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Eat more!! I was eating over 2000 calories a day and losing easily in those first few months!! I miss my breastfeeding calories.
  • mrauber7
    mrauber7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks mamas! And happy mother's day!! :)
  • kyliesuebam
    kyliesuebam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1200-1300 and haven't lost any milk- actually my son is overweight! But with baby #2 i got so busy with life that I would accidentally only eat 800 on some days ! I lost a ton of weight but it made me weak and tired.

If it doesn't risk your milk, I would stay at your caloric goal and increase snacks. That's of course only if you taken the breastfeeding calories into account