Warming up/mobility sumo dl's and squats

Options
ljk0615
ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
I was deadlifting conventionally for a while and then decided to switch it up and try sumo. I was stronger pulling sumo and I went a little too much, too fast and over did it. I seem to have strained an adductor. I'm taking a break from sumo and squats for a week or two (I don't know how long I'll last....not sumoing or squatting sucks) to give it a rest, but I want to make sure in the future that I'm warming up properly/enough. I've looked on YouTube at some mobility routines and I don't like the idea of having to spend so long pre workout on mobility/warming up. I have a toddler in the gym daycare and getting through a good deadlifting session already takes a while. At the same time, I definitely don't want to injure myself. Does anyone here have a good warmup/mobility routine for sumos/squats or can make some suggestions as to the amount of time I should be spending or the types of things I should definitely be doing/not doing? Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just do a couple of sets at a lower weight before moving into my working sets.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I usually do a banded glute warmup, for squats, I do some banded hip flexor stretches, and then some warm up sets. I can easily take 30+ minutes warming up to my working weights. It is what it is.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    One of the better ones IMO

[url=]https://youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY[/url]
  • ljk0615
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • heatherarcia
    heatherarcia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out RomWod! My husband and I have been doing it 5-6 times a week before bed and we have both noticed a huge difference. He's more religious about it than I am and I have noticed a real improvement in his range of motion and his squat form. RomWod is a website - you can also look them up ok FB or insta to get an idea of the program.
  • heatherarcia
    heatherarcia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could also try a squat clinic app or site to help as a guide or ramp up program for squatting heavy. He's been doing a program called 5X5 and really likes it.
  • ljk0615
    Options
    I'll look it up, thank you!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I like the stretches in the video that was posted. Audio is terrible, but the stretches are good. I've made a lot of progress w/my left hip; right has been more stubborn, but no surprise there.

As far as time/child care if you are just limited by the childcare time you can do some warm up and stretching before you go to the gym. You won't stiffen up and cool down that much in transit unless your gym is pretty far.

I often stretch and warm up at home just because it is easier.
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    the above video looks painful
  • ljk0615
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    I like the stretches in the video that was posted. Audio is terrible, but the stretches are good. I've made a lot of progress w/my left hip; right has been more stubborn, but no surprise there.

As far as time/child care if you are just limited by the childcare time you can do some warm up and stretching before you go to the gym. You won't stiffen up and cool down that much in transit unless your gym is pretty far.

I often stretch and warm up at home just because it is easier.

Now that is a great idea. I don't know why it's never occurred to me to do that. I only live five mins away from the gym.