Running advice

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm a newer runner. I'm able to complete 5K's. I'd like to train for a 10K and half marathon. I'm looking for a good walk/run training program, preferably an app if possible! I have poor knees and messed up feet. (Bunions on both feet, already had surgery once, they grew back worse and I have lots of nerve damage). Walk/run programs are the best for preventing injuries, right? I'm trying to get past the "walking means I failed running" mind set.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Give your body a break and stay with shorter distances or other cardio. I like running, but if you already have poor knees and messed up feet, running is not your friend. What about biking or swimming? There is no single exercise that you "must do." The sooner you let that mindset go the better you will be. Find exercises that you can do and don't make your problems worse. The idea here is to improve your body and health, not break it down.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Check out couch to 10 k or 5k to 10k bridge apps. Walking does not mean you failed running. Work within what your body gave you. Remember, it doesn't really matter whether you can run or not, but you always want to be able to walk. This is what I remind myself of, having just finished c25k, being careful to not push too hard.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Asics run app: you set your goal based on what you can do now and what you want to be able to do, and when. It'll give you a program to follow accordingly (so long as your goal is realistic!)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've found for training and 1 ill prepared marathon (well, sickness and injury and already paid) that something around 70% running was best for matching speed compared to just going slower - like 2:20 to 1.

Enough running to enjoy going faster and the more efficient form that goes along with that - 1 min recovery and taking a load off the joints.
    Compared to just running slower but you still get the pounding - and it never feels like the form is righ - and it's not.

Normally that's just training though, but since the pace form is down, I can do the race full time faster pace.

But if even that type is stressful, ditto's to above that running may not be your thing. It could easily be that whatever aspect of running draws you - could be found in biking say.

Timex Ironman watches have an interval timer that makes intervals super easy, could do up to 10 if desired, but set to 2:20 and 1, repeat, and listen for beeps to change, until you are done, either by time or distance or route.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow runner! I've sprained my knee several times, and I've completed 1 full marathon, 10 half marathons, several 10k's, 5k's and other distances! What helps me is cross training. Swimming and biking. I lift weights too. Now for my knees. I will tape my knee up with KT tape for 10ks and greater. I also wear a knee brace. I run/walk. As someone mentioned maybe the couch to 10k? If you have a watch, set up intervals. Do run for 2, walk for 2. Try seeing if there is a store near you that you can go get fitted for shoes. They will be able to help you a lot and may even get insoles. Good luck and I believe that you can accomplish a 10k!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway is known for his run/walk training programs. I have seen people finish half marathons in under 2 hours using his methods. There is no shame in walking during a race. Do what works for you!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i finished my first half this weekend and I walked. lots of people walked. it's ok