What do you mix protein powder with??

Options
sdgirl22
sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
I'm thinking about getting vanilla whey powder - I've tried strawberry and with milk it tastes gross, but with water it is totally noxious.

Anyway, when you drink a protein shake, what is the tastiest or most nutritional thing to mix it with? It would be for a snack to stay full and pre and post workouts - not all in the same day, obviously :tongue:

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I nearly always make a fruit smoothie. I buy a protein powder that also has greens in it including spirulina to get even more of a benefit. Sometimes I'll also add in baby spinach to the mix for more veggies. I use coconut water instead of milk in my smoothies and it's wonderful!
  • brutalrage
    brutalrage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For me it is mainly water or skim milk. Water when I use it after a workout and and skim milk when I plan to use it as part of my meal.
  • sdgirl22
    Options
    Mmm spirulina... I've been wanting to buy some forever!

I was thinking about some days mixing it with some fruit juice. I wonder if all of that would blend well.
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    Options
    I add frozen fruit and water to my protein powder and make a smoothie
  • 52baltimoreravens52
    52baltimoreravens52 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i love chocolate so i get chocolate protein powder mix with chocolate almond breeze ice and a banana yummy
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I make a smoothie with milk, yogurt, frozen fruit and protein powder.
  • NykoleMazzola
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I add almond milk and it makes it a little thick and very creamy when I pop it in the blender with 2 pieces of ice. Yum!
  • bbgrilla
    bbgrilla Posts: 1
    Options
    I use 2% Milk. It taste better to me. Make sure you drink plenty of water though. Too much protein and not enough water means kidney stones.
  • meganotravels
    meganotravels Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i use chocolate protein powder and blend it with ice cubes, skim milk, peanut butter and some fiber/flax seed supplement. (if i'm in the mood for more chocolate, i'll add a bit of cocoa powder.)
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Skim milk or unsweetened almond milk. Taste really depends on the type and quality of protein powder. I'm partial to Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey
  • kmamac
    kmamac Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I believe personally that you have to find a protein powder that you really like... I have tried a bunch of different ones and find that I like the whey protein isolates most bc they mix really well with just about anything!!
  • sdgirl22
    Options
    Mmm, almond milk, peanut butter, banana, flax seed..... *drool* ultimate protein shake!!!! Awesome suggestions, thanks :}
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I mix with water, ice and a banana. My husband wants me to mix my protein with milk (I'd have to use soy milk because of food allergies), but I don't want the extra cals.
  • Netjoker
    Netjoker Posts: 13
    Options
    Go with Optimum's Double Rich Chocolate it is the best tasting one I have tried and it mixes easy.
    Add one banana, peanut butter and some ice Good stuff there my friend.
  • crobinson53
    crobinson53 Posts: 164
    Options
    Go with Optimum's Double Rich Chocolate it is the best tasting one I have tried and it mixes easy.

This is the BEST tasting protein powder. I use two cups of non fat milk and two scoops of powder in a shaker cup. It comes out perfect every time. Optimum Nutrition has other flavors that taste good but Double Rich Chocolate is by far the best.

:glasses:
  • sdgirl22
    Options

This is the BEST tasting protein powder. I use two cups of non fat milk and two scoops of powder in a shaker cup. It comes out perfect every time. Optimum Nutrition has other flavors that taste good but Double Rich Chocolate is by far the best.

How is this brand's vanilla powder? I'm not always in the mood for chocolate....
  • crobinson53
    crobinson53 Posts: 164
    Options
    There's two vanillas, the French Vanilla and the Vanilla Ice Cream. I believe I had the Vanilla Ice Cream. I was blending in blueberries and sometimes strawberries. It was fantastic even by itself. The 1 lb container is only $11.99 right now on bodybuliding.com.

There are the rest of the flavors:

Banana Cream, Caramel Toffee Fudge, Chocolate Malt, Chocolate Mint, Cookies & Cream, Delicious Strawberry, Double Rich Chocolate, Extreme Milk Chocolate, French Vanilla Creme, Mocha Cappuccino, Rocky Road, Strawberry Banana, Tropical Punch
    Vanilla Ice Cream

I hope this helps!