Is this a healthy profile? Should I try to loose weight even?

Options
Sharp123321
Sharp123321 Posts: 29 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am 5'7 and one half inch.
I weigh 165lbs with a 39inch waist(I'm not pregnant; my stomach is just large).
I am 18.
Do I need to work on my weight or not? Thank you.

Replies

• Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say with out knowing your fitness lvl.
    But let's say that you don't work out at all and that you're just the normal teenager.. then you'd be a little bit to heavy but not much. Just a tinsy bit.

But if you're fit, you work out 6 days a week then those numbers would be normal.

You kinda have to see for your self, do you feel like you need to work on your body fat% ?
  • Sharp123321
    Options
    I am sadly not very active.
  • liams987
    liams987 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Depending on what your goals are you should either lose or gain weight. If you have no ab definition then possibly losing a little bit of weight wouldn't hurt. If you are new to exersice and weight lifting, then eating at a caloric maintence level with some lifting and little bit of cardio would benefit you massively. Helping slightly build muscle whilst losing body fat.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    What do the charts say you should weigh and shoot for middle ground. TGalk to a nutritonist to confirm
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    When I input you into the NIH BMI calculator, it says you are overweight [slightly]. You don't need to lose weight unless it is already giving you health problems, but I'd say maybe try to get in the 'Healthy'/'Normal' range? Middle of that range would be best, it'd give you some play.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    When I input you into the NIH BMI calculator, it says you are overweight [slightly]. You don't need to lose weight unless it is already giving you health problems, but I'd say maybe try to get in the 'Healthy'/'Normal' range? Middle of that range would be best, it'd give you some play.

I second this good advice. At 18 you aren't developing health problems yet by being slightly overweight. It's a great time to get down as a preventative measure and learn to maintain a slightly lower amount of body fat.
  • Sharp123321
    Options
    Thanks guys. I get worried about my stomach a lot. It over hangs and is much too big I think.
  • Sharp123321
    Options
    I am in the take action category of the waist to hip ratio which scares me
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    Thanks guys. I get worried about my stomach a lot. It over hangs and is much too big I think.

Girl, I'm 5'2", and 116lbs. I have a stomach. Be happy you aren't doing like I did, and getting HUGE before you decide to lose weight... To get rid of my 'stomach', I need surgery. Why? My stomach is currently all extra skin. xD; Very little actual fat in it.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    I am in the take action category of the waist to hip ratio which scares me

The wut? There is a scale for that type of thing? But people have different types of bodytypes. One of my friends is way smaller than me, I mean like... Flat all the way through [she even says it], but she's got a rectangular-type of body shape. o-o Not much ratio. She's at a healthy BMI, too.
  • Sharp123321
    Options
    Yeah there is a ratio thing.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I would look into a sport or activity to get you active, no need for hard-core dieting, just get moving so you can feel comfortable in your skin
  • Sharp123321
    Options
    It is strange because most of my weight is all in my stomach. I'm not even sure if it is all fat.