Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Oh my!

Options
Folks, anyone training in martial arts as a means to either lose weight or maintain? I'd like to friend some more people who roll/spar - so if you do, feel free to send me a request. I've done Muay Thai in the past competitively, and just started BJJ a few months ago. Prior to martial arts I was doing a barbell strength program (StrongLifts 5x5) and HIIT kettlebell training. Currently I'm looking to drop some weight using a combination of low carb / high fat eating and BJJ.

If you're curious, martial arts (particularly Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, Judo, Muay Thai/Kickboxing, MMA) is an extremely good way to get in shape since it provides ample cardio along with bodyweight exercise for strength. Group environments at dojos can push you beyond where you think your limits are, which just adds to the effectiveness. Of course you're also developing a skill that can help you protect yourself and your family. If you have questions I am sure we can help!

Replies

• Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    BJJ as my main fitness activity. Yep - it's a full body, cardio & strength program with a little "involuntary yoga" as well.
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Here's a bump to see if there is anyone else out there! :)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am a shodan in aikido. I train for 2 hours, three nights a week plus whatever seminars I can get to. It definitely helped me get into better shape among many other benefits. I lost about 20 pounds from the training before I decided to start watching calories. I don't really train to get the exercise so much as to get the other benefits. My knees are not great so there are often nights when I can't train as hard as I would like.
  • Kr15by
    Kr15by Posts: 78 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I train BJJ 2 days, Boxing 3 days and follow a stronglifts type routine for weights. Great way of getring rid of the fat. Personally, i would go low fat / high carb if youre wanting to lose weight. BJJ on low carbs would make me feel like crap
  • pccarson
    pccarson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do jiu jitsu as many times a week as I can....ususlly 3,4 60,90 minutes a time. It's a great workout.....i read recently about it bein -*rolling meditation *and agree with that,! Non bjj days I workout at home before work usually daily burn or beach body on demand
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Kr15by wrote: »
    I train BJJ 2 days, Boxing 3 days and follow a stronglifts type routine for weights. Great way of getring rid of the fat. Personally, i would go low fat / high carb if youre wanting to lose weight. BJJ on low carbs would make me feel like crap

You're spot on, had I not already been fat adapted (aka just used to operating on low carb) from before. The drawback is I have less of that "explosive" power than I would if I ate more carbs... but on most days I just down a sweet potato before class and I'm good. Besides in Jiu-Jitsu I'd much rather not rely on any explosive movement and simply train the skill. Right now I feel fine on about 50g net carbs per day. Weight is coming off easily too, psyched to reach my goal even faster than I predicted.
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I roll at least 4 days/week. 2 days in the Gi and 2 days no gi. I also do 1-2 days of Krav Maga and 2 days of a Muay Thai fitness (Cardio kickboxing). All are great for the cardio and the BJJ is an all body workout. You don't need a chiropractor if you do BJJ, thats for sure. :) Love the gym, love the coaches and if you find that 'right' rolling partner, your skills just get better. Osss
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Last week my ukemi skills came in quite handy. I was working on a horse's front hoof and was straddling his foreleg when he shifted and pushed and took my balance. I ended up taking a backfall on the concrete slab he was standing on. Alarming for his owners but no big deal for me.

A chiropractor and massage therapist are a regular part of my life. It is almost never the aikido that causes me to need to be put back into alignment though.
  • frankenchops
    frankenchops Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do western boxing and kickboxing. Kickboxing sparring every Tuesday and boxing sparring usually one weekend day and maybe one week night with lot's of technique and conditioning sprinkled throughout the week. It's the best way to workout. No time for boredom! Feel free to friend me here. I am kind of a lurker on this site and pretty quiet for the most part. Maybe some combat athlete friends can change that?
  • bjgarcia22
    bjgarcia22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just started BJJ about 6 weeks ago and I love it! Please add me if this is similar interest. I have been training about 4 classes a week and don't plan on slowing down any time soon!
  • bubbaburke1
    bubbaburke1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing BJJ over 2 years. Great workout and you can't beat the social aspect.
  • RachelRiley87
    RachelRiley87 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Also looking for friends in martial arts! Like minded people and all that.

I've started Muay Thai done 3 classes so far which are around 2hrs each. Never sweat so much in a class environment before and I love it. Did 4 one to one hr classes before I joined the group classes and had my first grading after those which went well. (White arm band and proud). Learning pad holding has been tough I find it so difficult and have many bruises to show for it but it's a work in progress!