Tips to breaking thru a plateau

Options
I have been a dedicated gym goer and eating clean follower for the past two year and i am so stuck at my current weight and it isnt budging. I am switching up my workout and such but its not helping.. anyone have tips on how to break a plateau?

Replies

• KetoCdn
    KetoCdn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been a dedicated gym goer and eating clean follower for the past two year and i am so stuck at my current weight and it isnt budging. I am switching up my workout and such but its not helping.. anyone have tips on how to break a plateau?
  • rhondababy
    Options
    I've heard many things, but haven't tried any, because I haven't been successful enough at weight loss in the past 10 years to lose enough to get to a plateau.
    Here's what I've read in addition to switching your work out type and intensity-
    Increase your calories by 150-200 per day for a week while changing your work out. Examine your food, and try to eat things that digest more slowly: whole grains, vegetables, lean proteins, and try to lessen your intake of refined flours, and sugar.
    Good luck! I hope to be taking my own advice soon!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Increase your workouts by 20%, tried and true

basically think of what you strive for, time or distance and then increase that by 20%. I do distance, but for maths sake if you do cardio for 30 mins you need to do 36 minutes for about a week or two then you will find that you have increased your endurance and when you go back to 30 mins you will be going further anyway.

for me I started with 4 miles on the treadmill in an hour so my goal was to get 4.8 miles in an hour and now I am up to a regular 5 or more miles in an hour from just pushing myself.

Also, if you have been losing you may want to check that you are getting enough calories, the more you loose the more calories you will actually need to consume to reach and then maintain your weight loss.
    good luck
  • Idiolatry
    Options
    Hitting a plateau is a good thing. It means your body has less fat to lose. Find out what your body fat percentage is, and where it's at (Thighs, stomach, etc). Work those areas more intensely, trainers suggest short bursts of intense exercise during your normal workout, such as: If you're jogging, sprint for 30-60 seconds twice during your routine. Increase the number of times you do the bursts as you progress.

I'm not sure what your ideal body weight is, nor what your BMI/Body fat % is, but make sure it's all in a healthy range. Just because your weight isn't going down doesn't mean you don't have a great lean body.
  • mdcroft
    mdcroft Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an article about weight plateauing, and it said that after you've lost 5-10% of your body weight, the body has to adjust to its new weight. Sometimes this can take a while, but if you continue what you're doing you should start losing again soon. Also, if you've been really tight on your calories, sometimes it helps to eat a little more a day or two a week--it's possible that your metabolism has just gotten used to the tight diet and slowed down a bit.

Good luck, be patient....at least you haven't been gaining!