Options
The nhs recommend women having a belly measurement of 31.5. Has anyone ever managed this?!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Waist measurement? Is that what you mean?

Mine is 29.

Most of my life, since I was about 15 years old, my waist measurement has been between about 27 and 29.

I'm 5'6", 49 years old, and in the lower half of my normal BMI range ... where I've also spend most of my adult life.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yeah mines about 28/29 I think. I'm 5ft5 and 136lbs

Presumably you're a fair way off this OP? What are your stats?
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!
    36 inches
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Yes I managed to get close to that at my fattest. 30 inches on the dot.
    I maintain with a 25-26 inch waist.

Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The last time I measured mine my belly was 35 inches...its been several months since I took measurements though...

My waist though is 26.5" - I think its the waist measurement the NHS refer to as being no more than 31.5.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lol, I hate those cookie cutter recommendations. Most people can easily see and feel if they are overweight or have a too large belly. But anyway, very important to understand that this is waist measuremen, not belly - measure between ribs and hip bone, usually an inch over navel.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Aim for waist no more than half your height in inches. Smaller is good too, but this is more individualized.

And, yes, I'm under 31.5 inches and not amazingly small...still overweight per BMI chart. But it does have some to do with your build. I'm basically an hourglass, but I also have nearly no space between my bottom ribs and top of the hip and my organs have to go somewhere so not holding my breath on the really teeny waist size.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Aim for waist no more than half your height in inches. Smaller is good too, but this is more individualized.

That would be quite a large number for me ... 33 inches. I've only been that size 3 times in my life and took steps to lose weight each time.

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    katie22mfp wrote: »
    The nhs recommend women having a belly measurement of 31.5. Has anyone ever managed this?!

I'm a male. My waist size is currently 32. Methinks 31.5 is easily doable.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Last time I had mine measured was in October (by a lab tech, as part of our health insurance requirements), and at my belly button it was 25 inches. I don't know if the belly button is where others are measuring at though?
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my waist was 29 inches at my largest - but I am a tiny 5ft 0.75 inches!! It is now at 27.5 inches.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    53, 5'4", 215 lbs.....my waist way above any of those posted before me
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

"Belly"?
    Where are you measuring as the (very, very general) guideline is a waist measurement.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx?CategoryID=51
    Waist size and risk of health problems

You have a higher risk of health problems if your waist size is:
    •more than 94cm (37 inches) if you're a man
    •more than 80cm (31.5 inches) if you're a woman

Your risk of health problems is even higher if your waist size is:
    •more than 102cm (40 inches) if you're a man
    •more than 88cm (34.5 inches) if you're a woman

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My waist is 31.125 at 5'6" and 147 lbs. My belly/circumference around navel is bigger--a bit over 35".
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Mine runs between 21.5"-22" depending on how much salt I'm eating lol. I think the recommendation is just to not have a waist above that size though because it's linked with increased risk of health problems. It's okay to be under it.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

And, yes, I'm under 31.5 inches and not amazingly small...still overweight per BMI chart. But it does have some to do with your build. I'm basically an hourglass, but I also have nearly no space between my bottom ribs and top of the hip and my organs have to go somewhere so not holding my breath on the really teeny waist size.

I have a similar body shape. I'm 31" now, at 5'7" and 148 lbs. I don't think I could go any lower without losing muscle because I have a short waist with wide ribs, wide hips, and decent abs. So I find it hard to believe that somehow another half inch would make me unhealthy. And 31.5" is not the same on a 6' woman as it is a 4'9" woman. This seems arbitrary and generalized. Worse than measuring BMI. At least that takes height into consideration.
  • kajorma
    kajorma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Aim for waist no more than half your height in inches.

I like the idea of having it tailored to height.
    That would make my goal... 37"
    Yeah, sounds good, but I think I have a ways to go.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    belly is sort of a broad term.

My natural waist is about 28...I weigh 153lbs and 5 ft 7
    At my belly button however is was 32.5 last time I measured...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

My waist was smaller than that before becomming overweight. The last time my waist was that measurement or below was probably 12-15 years ago.
    I've lost about 5" off my waist so far. My waist is measuring 35.5" today at navel level. Half of my height would be 32". My goal waist size is about 28" which would be about 8" smaller than my hips. My hips are at my goal size and haven't changed much with gain or loss so I am assuming they will stay close the same.
    I used this waist to hip ratio calculator-> http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calculator_waist.asp
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I got fitted for a corset the other weekend and I was able to fit into a 26 but I feel my waistline is probably around 30. It doesn't look it but I guess sitting down and leaning forward doesn't really help, lol.