Oolong Tea/White Tea. Do they help?

Hey guys. I just started a weight loss journey. My first mini goal is to be down 15lbs by June 25th which is my birthday. I'm on a 1240 calorie diet. I weigh 248lbs right now which is the most I've ever weighed. I read that Oolong and White tea help with weigh loss so I drink 2-4 cups a day, mostly Oolong. Anyone with some testimonials about the teas. Do they really help? Thank you in advance. :)

Replies

• shortvixen09
    shortvixen09 Posts: 38 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    No, teas don't help with weight loss unless you are replacing the tea with a high calorie drink. CICO rules supreme.

I've been replacing juice with them so far.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Nope. Teas don't do anything for weight loss except maybe keep your stomach full of warm water. So that may help with hunger pangs, but you could just drink the warm water and have the same effect, really. The tea itself won't do anything.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Awesome as a way to replace calorie dense drinks, and a way to get more water :). I love the green tea from Costco for that.

I enjoy sitting down with a hot cup of tea, it feels way more satisfying than a glass of plain water.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Nope.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Ooh also you can brew a whole pitcher and add Splenda, and it's iced tea. Really good as a juice replacement.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    No, teas don't help with weight loss unless you are replacing the tea with a high calorie drink. CICO rules supreme.

I've been replacing juice with them so far.

Using a zero calorie tea to replace calorie dense juices are a great way to reduce your calorie intake :)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I drink lotsof herbal teas to replace soda and juice- this does help cut calories- I also get bored with just plain water so this helps me to get more liquids besides i love the feel of a "nice cup of tea" teehee
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    I love my green tea.
    I stopped drinking it and gained weight.
    I started drinking it and started losing.
    .... I believe... in green tea.
  • shortvixen09
    I love my green tea.
    I stopped drinking it and gained weight.
    I started drinking it and started losing.
    .... I believe... in green tea.

I think I'm going to grab some green tea as well. I hear a lot about it. Thanks.
  • shortvixen09
    debtay123 wrote: »
    I drink lotsof herbal teas to replace soda and juice- this does help cut calories- I also get bored with just plain water so this helps me to get more liquids besides i love the feel of a "nice cup of tea" teehee

That is one thing I'm surprised at, the ease of which I can drink them because I strongly dislike hot beverages. Also, I only put maybe a teaspoon of sugar or honey, if that, and I'm okay with it.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    I love oolong tea
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I really think the weight loss benefits are more due to you replacing sugary drinks with low cal tea rather than anything special in the tea. This isn't to say that tea isn't good for you though. Certain teas contain antioxidants and catechins that have been proven to benefit your body.

Hot tea also helps take up space in your stomach which may cause you to eat less.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Eating in a calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight (body fat). No food or drink will aid this. You could eat junk food everyday and lose weight, provided you were still in that deficit. If you struggle with introducing a diet as a lifestyle, then you'd have to calorie count.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I drink unsweetened ginger tea in the afternoons at work. If I drink regular tea after about 3 pm I have a hard time falling asleep at night.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    I've heard there are studies showing an increase in weight loss for people drinking oolong or green tea, controlling for calories consumed and daily caffeine intake. But I haven't read them so I can't say whether or not they were done well, have large sample sizes, statistical significance, etc. I doubt it.

I drink tea because I love it. I probably lose a little extra weight just because it's so good for my mental health to take a break and have a cup, so I'm less likely to eat when I'm not hungry.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I've been drinking green tea for years.......why aren't I skinny yet?

Nope - not for weight loss.