Beach Walking

Options
I have started walking on the beach and was wondering if anyone has any information about the exercise value of it. The sand makes it difficult to walk fast, so I tried to walk longer than I usually would. My heart rate did not increase by much, but I feel like I got a good workout. It seems like it is a good exercise for toning legs which is something I really need. It is much more interesting than using a treadmill--lots of little children, sound of the surf and sun.

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I would just log it as whatever speed you're walking at if it doesn't get your heart rate up any extra.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I would just log it as whatever speed you're walking at if it doesn't get your heart rate up any extra.
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    Sketchers Shape Ups are supposed to simulate walking on sand so that you tone your legs differently and supposedly burn more calories. There's got to be something to it.

I'd log it as whatever speed you're going at, but acknowledge that you're more likely to tone up your legs differently/more than regular walking on a hard surface would.