I'm Lazy But I Want To Get Active

Options
13»

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

In any event, I hope the OP finds a way to get moving. That is really the point here, to find something that will make her mind click and get her up and moving.

Pretty much.

I'm amazed what gets flagged on here sometimes. At a basic level it comes down to just do it which was the "mean" advice she was given...

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @fatty2sixpack
    Find something you love as much as lounging in bed. If you are a tad hedonistic as I am, once you find something you love and make it a habit, you won't be able to give up your new activity either. Your future may include a fair amount of lounging in bed, which you love, with some other invigorating activity that also feels great.

https://www.ted.com/talks/emily_balcetis_why_some_people_find_exercise_harder_than_others?language=en

I suggest finding an evening activity. Do it three times a week for three months. Work hard enough to get yourself puffing for at least a minute. Stretch, rehydrate and recover. This should be enough to get the endorphins flowing.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some possible activities:
    touch football, running, volleyball, speed walking, Zumba, power lift, hiking, walking the dog, walking the neighbour's dog, walking a shelter dog as a volunteer, Zombies run, biking, swimming, buff dudes 12 week home workout. Pick one and see how you like it. If you hate it, try something else.

Vow not to walk past a flyer, Facebook invite, meetup, or invitation that involves an activity you have never tried. Do it at least twice before you decide you don't like it.

If you do enjoy it, take about thirty minutes that evening and write down all the things you loved about that activity. This will help you associate happiness with that activity going forward and will help you get out the door.

I also suggest you enrich your lazy bed-lounging to make sure you are making best use of that R & R time. Sometimes we do a substandard job of relaxing so extend it ever longer trying to recapture that feeling.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose weight until I had trackable, actionable data about my food in the form of MFP.

While I'm also lazy deep in my heart, I used that fact about myself (that I will respond to data, generally positively) and applied it to exercise. So, I have the Fitbit and some spreadsheets I work with. I still don't like exercise, but I'm slowly growing to appreciate it (and notice that I can be quite crabby when I miss a day for whatever reason). And it adds up to about an hour of my day; I get to spend the rest of it doing nothing at all, if that's my mood. :)

That said: you don't have to. You can lose weight without exercise if you really hate it that much, but it goes a lot smoother with activity thrown in.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP, according to your profile, you are 480lbs. That gives us a little info but not enough. How are your joints? Any restrictions? What activities have you tried?
  • goldthistime
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

In any event, I hope the OP finds a way to get moving. That is really the point here, to find something that will make her mind click and get her up and moving.

Pretty much.

I'm amazed what gets flagged on here sometimes. At a basic level it comes down to just do it which was the "mean" advice she was given...

I agree. For those people flagging DavPul's first post, take note that he did not post till over an hour after the thread was created. In other words, for the first hour or so, no one bothered to reply. I'm guessing that this thread had already fallen off the first page and was at risk of just disappearing.

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So here's my situation: I'm lazy and I know it. I hate to exercise I don't do anything because I love to stay in bed. I know I need to get active but I love to stay in bed. Can you give me some ideas on how to squeeze in activities, or little burst of exercise into my life.

Do you have anything you CAN'T do?

I'm an avid gamer. I am 100% capable of spending HOURS in front of the TV playing a RPG or MMO. And I'd be lying if I said that I've never had a day where my own personal "Blerch" wasn't urging me to gorge on pizza and marathon Criminal Minds instead of sweating my *kitten* off outside attempting to run, or to sleep in instead of hitting the gym on a Monday.

It's about priorities, dude. If you prioritize your comfort and love of lazing about, nothing will change. Gamify, if you must. Zombies5K (which I probably talk about ad nauseum) was instrumental in getting me to stick with a running program - I love zombies, and I like numbers, and I like being told I'm awesome throughout my run when I feel like a shuffling hot dog wearing a human facade. Maybe barter with yourself - like, "I am absolutely allowed to lay around all day AFTER I've spent _____ minutes outside/at the gym/doing something active." Either way, nothing will change if you don't prioritize your goals over your immediate habits and comfort.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    shaemart wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Wow - this is the kind of support you get here?

The guy asked a serious question about how to get started if you're out of shape and have a hard time getting motivated (otherwise known as lazy) and you've mocked and belittled him.

Seems like it's all people with "already fit" pics. Must be nice to have levitated up so high you can look down your nose at those people just getting started. Shame on you.

I'm not sure I understand what your issue is. When I wish to accomplish something, the most important step is for me to get out of bed, get off my butt, and start working on the task. I don't understand what being motivated has to do with it. Do you call in sick to your job on the days you feel unmotivated to go into work?

The OP didn't say he needs help finding things he's interested in. He said he's won't even try. I cannot make him try. He'll either try or he won't, and he's the only one that can decide if it's important enough to act like an adult and give it a go. It doesn't matter if he fails his first 100 times, i'll still respect the effort and offer whatever support I can provide. Can't squat? Let me show you how. Can't run? Well.....me neither, but if you want to partake in that dreadful activity I'll point you at someone that can help. But can't decide if you'd rather stay in bed? I got nothing. You have to make that decision on your own.

Helpful hint: people that are "already fit" may not have been born that way.

I didn't say you were born that way. I didn't even imply it.

But honestly "Get off your butt and do something" - That sounds pretty condescending to me. All this stuff you just said in THIS post....where was that before? Nowhere. Just "Get off your butt and do something."

I'm sorry - but that's not helpful. If you meant to be helpful then maybe you should try again. Maybe a list of some ways for him to get started or encouragement.

And for those saying they don't see anything wrong with talking to someone who asked for help this way - Really? You don't? Do you not remember trying to get started?

If some guy you don't know offered only "Get off your butt and do something" when you asked, you'd really find that both helpful and encouraging?

Put aside your preconceived notions and realize that "get off your butt and do something" is helpful because it is the truth. It may seem trite because it's not a long winded reply. I also have an aspiration to have a six pack one day. I was also a fatty when I got started. Now I'm 80 lbs down and while still overweight I'm on the right track. Know why? Because I got off my butt and did something. It's simple. It's not easy, but it's simple. I don't WANT to get up at 5:50 am to go on a run but I do, because I know I need to get off my butt and do something if I'm going to achieve my goals. A friend recommended a do C25K, and now I can run for 50 minutes and I'm just under 300 lbs. Everday it's hard. 'Get off your butt and do something" is just about the simplest and most honest admonition there can be. We need to move beyond taking offensive to everything single thing these days and speak truth to each other. The comment was not an insult and it certainly was not condescending, it was the truth. It was honest. And if the OP can't take that then he's not yet ready to make the changes he needs to make. Hopefully one day soon he will.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Wow - this is the kind of support you get here?

The guy asked a serious question about how to get started if you're out of shape and have a hard time getting motivated (otherwise known as lazy) and you've mocked and belittled him.

Seems like it's all people with "already fit" pics. Must be nice to have levitated up so high you can look down your nose at those people just getting started. Shame on you.

I'm not sure I understand what your issue is. When I wish to accomplish something, the most important step is for me to get out of bed, get off my butt, and start working on the task. I don't understand what being motivated has to do with it. Do you call in sick to your job on the days you feel unmotivated to go into work?

The OP didn't say he needs help finding things he's interested in. He said he's won't even try. I cannot make him try. He'll either try or he won't, and he's the only one that can decide if it's important enough to act like an adult and give it a go. It doesn't matter if he fails his first 100 times, i'll still respect the effort and offer whatever support I can provide. Can't squat? Let me show you how. Can't run? Well.....me neither, but if you want to partake in that dreadful activity I'll point you at someone that can help. But can't decide if you'd rather stay in bed? I got nothing. You have to make that decision on your own.

Helpful hint: people that are "already fit" may not have been born that way.

I didn't say you were born that way. I didn't even imply it.

But honestly "Get off your butt and do something" - That sounds pretty condescending to me. All this stuff you just said in THIS post....where was that before? Nowhere. Just "Get off your butt and do something."

I'm sorry - but that's not helpful. If you meant to be helpful then maybe you should try again. Maybe a list of some ways for him to get started or encouragement.

And for those saying they don't see anything wrong with talking to someone who asked for help this way - Really? You don't? Do you not remember trying to get started?

If some guy you don't know offered only "Get off your butt and do something" when you asked, you'd really find that both helpful and encouraging?

Put aside your preconceived notions and realize that "get off your butt and do something" is helpful because it is the truth. It may seem trite because it's not a long winded reply. I also have an aspiration to have a six pack one day. I was also a fatty when I got started. Now I'm 80 lbs down and while still overweight I'm on the right track. Know why? Because I got off my butt and did something. It's simple. It's not easy, but it's simple. I don't WANT to get up at 5:50 am to go on a run but I do, because I know I need to get off my butt and do something if I'm going to achieve my goals. A friend recommended a do C25K, and now I can run for 50 minutes and I'm just under 300 lbs. Everday it's hard. 'Get off your butt and do something" is just about the simplest and most honest admonition there can be. We need to move beyond taking offensive to everything single thing these days and speak truth to each other. The comment was not an insult and it certainly was not condescending, it was the truth. It was honest. And if the OP can't take that then he's not yet ready to make the changes he needs to make. Hopefully one day soon he will.

Darn nice post.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Park your car further away. Walk for short 10 minute intervals. Take the stairs. Being lazy is a choice just like working out is a choice. You need to make the choice to be active. Motivation is never permanent so you just need to be disciplined. If you want it you'll do it. If you don't you won't.
  • fatty2sixpack
    fatty2sixpack Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments. Please keep on posting your advice and ideas. Right now I have decided to walk on a treadmill each day while watching an hour long tv show each day along with doing a workout with my 5 pound dumbbells. Also every 2 hours I spend on my bed I will get up and I'm my room do some incline push ups, modified burpees, and go up and down the stairs 2x.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments. Please keep on posting your advice and ideas. Right now I have decided to walk on a treadmill each day while watching an hour long tv show each day along with doing a workout with my 5 pound dumbbells. Also every 2 hours I spend on my bed I will get up and I'm my room do some incline push ups, modified burpees, and go up and down the stairs 2x.

Wonderful to read. Are you logging?

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Small steps. Lots of little, simple choices add up to a big change eventually.

The only other thing I would say is to echo those above who suggest finding something you enjoy. If it turns out you love a good hike then make time to do it, its a great work out and wont even seem like exercise.

Perhaps sport is your thing, or maybe you aspire to run?

• HARVEYPINCNO
    HARVEYPINCNO Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well laziness is all in your head!The only way to get active is just to get up and do it! Don't give yourself the option you just tell yourself it needs to be done and do it - easy as that!
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I think I'm a good example of a lazy yet relatively fit person. My favorite thing to do besides the one activity I like, is sit. I'm not even going to lie.

So here's what I do. I got my one thing-weight lifting. So I do it. I have a plan and I don't miss workouts. There are absolutely no excuses for the most part.

Second thing I did recently was get the cheapest fitbit (50 bucks for the fitbit zip). It's perfect because it doesn't even have a heart rate monitor and since I don't do cardio (because lazy), it just basically helps me get off my butt and get enough steps on per day to stay as active as I want. For example...Friday night I was under my step count, so I took a late night walk. To the grocery store. To buy ice cream.

All of this. I wouldn't consider myself fit (yet) but I would consider myself to be active. I also found a FitBit to be great motivation for me. Mine doesn't have a heart rate monitor either, but it does have a silent buzzer alarm that reminds me to get up and move every hour. It's not for everyone, but it has done wonders for me. Walking is my activity of choice as well, I have two dogs who need a lot of exercise so it's been great for me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Wonderful to read. Are you logging?

Good start. Strive for not being in your bed at all except for sleep or sex.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options

That's the spirit! There's nothing wrong with finding ways to make physical activity enjoyable! I've spent many a morning watching anime on my iPod while using an elliptical. Making exercise fun isn't "cheating" :smile:
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options

I am lazy too and that is how I got to the weight I got to. In no way am I a paragon of doing it right yet, but I have made some simple changes that are helping.

I take walks and I am trying to challenge myself to be consistent at 10,000 steps a day as a minimum. I don't always succeed, but I am getting better. Once I get there I will up it to 12,500. I also work on having days I do more. For now, walking is mostly what I can do. I am way out of shape and I don't want to incur an injury so I am taking it slow. Besides, making good habits is going to be better for me than anything else I can do.

I used to spend a lot of time in bed. I don't anymore. With a little more exercise I have more energy and don't need the naps. Bed is for sleeping and that is it. I also get up earlier every day as I get more exercise, but it has taken months.

As others have said though, it is just getting up and doing it. There are going to be days you don't want to do anything. Do it anyway. Maybe get an exercise calendar, mark off what you do every day. For me that is a nice visual sense of accomplishment.