Doms Or being overly sore

Options
Hello I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from workout Doms... It sucks because the days I work out I know that im going to be extremely sore the next two days... Do you work out with the pain or how do u handle being sore... I have recently added BCAAS to my post work out and it seems to be helping... any ideas or tips?

Replies

• chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not sure but have always been told that moving that muscle and stretching that muscle will increase blood flow this enhance healing. My experience is that when I do this, my muscle soreness doesn't last as long. Now I didn't work that particular muscle the same way but worked on another area. Any time I sat still for a bit and then got up, my muscles stiffened up and felt ultra sore all over again. And I'm a firm believer that they will heal stronger, it was my experience anyway. No long term damage from training this way, either.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hello I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from workout Doms... It sucks because the days I work out I know that im going to be extremely sore the next two days... Do you work out with the pain or how do u handle being sore... I have recently added BCAAS to my post work out and it seems to be helping... any ideas or tips?

It gets better (or less severe) as you progress and have many weeks/months under your belt of training. The soreness will not be "as sore", but DOMS is part of it all. Hopefully, with adequate recovery, you can mitigate to only 1-2 days of soreness.
  • hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I suffer from DOMS. I added whey protein and that helps. When I remember to use it that is.I see DOMS as a good thing. It tells me what I'm doing is working and it shows.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I've lifted weights for over a year now. Sometimes the DOMS is worse than others. I do find that if I use BCAAs and get enough protein (either by food or supplemental shakes) it's not as bad.
    Foam rolling helps too.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I almost never get doms anymore. Generally speaking, I have to either have taken some time off, be right in overreached territory, or have a major change in my rep/set scheme.

I don't need to be sore to know I'm doing the right thing. The weights on my bars and overall performance tell me that.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've lifted weights for over a year now. Sometimes the DOMS is worse than others. I do find that if I use BCAAs and get enough protein (either by food or supplemental shakes) it's not as bad.
    Foam rolling helps too.

I second foam rolling, it changed my life.
  • redrobot5050
    redrobot5050 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everyone suffers from DOMS one way or another -- go too hard, or take off from the gym too long and don't ease back into it, and you're going to get DOMS. Post workout BCAAs/Protein is great.

There are no surefire cures for DOMS. Believe, I've tried. But, from my research, here's a few things you can do to mitigate it:

Cold shower when you get home (helps flush out the lactic acid in the muscles. But lactic acid is not the cause of DOMS.) This is especially helpful right after your workout.
    Foam rolling (even better than stretching.)
    Hot Pad / Ice Pack (this is probably the huge one people neglect. Heat it up for 20, ice it for 20. Repeat as needed)
    NSAID (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, etc)
    IcyHot / Biofreeze.
    Light activity (again, to force blood through the muscle and get it used to moving while it heals)
    Plenty of sleep/rest.

Best of luck. I just had my toughest leg day ever, so my hamstrings and glutes are killing me and I'm likely to face DOMS for the next 2-3 days.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Everyone suffers from DOMS one way or another -- go too hard, or take off from the gym too long and don't ease back into it, and you're going to get DOMS. Post workout BCAAs/Protein is great.

There are no surefire cures for DOMS. Believe, I've tried. But, from my research, here's a few things you can do to mitigate it:

Cold shower when you get home (helps flush out the lactic acid in the muscles. But lactic acid is not the cause of DOMS.) This is especially helpful right after your workout.
    Foam rolling (even better than stretching.)
    Hot Pad / Ice Pack (this is probably the huge one people neglect. Heat it up for 20, ice it for 20. Repeat as needed)
    NSAID (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, etc)
    IcyHot / Biofreeze.
    Light activity (again, to force blood through the muscle and get it used to moving while it heals)
    Plenty of sleep/rest.

Best of luck. I just had my toughest leg day ever, so my hamstrings and glutes are killing me and I'm likely to face DOMS for the next 2-3 days.

I think I've tried every method on your list at one stage or another, when I was marathon training it was probably 3 or 4 of these after every session ha. The things we go through for enjoyment huh!
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This is my suggestion, interleave hard and light workouts. Hard legs, light walk/run/bike the next day will help.
    Well, I'm not sure but have always been told that moving that muscle and stretching that muscle will increase blood flow this enhance healing. My experience is that when I do this, my muscle soreness doesn't last as long. Now I didn't work that particular muscle the same way but worked on another area. Any time I sat still for a bit and then got up, my muscles stiffened up and felt ultra sore all over again. And I'm a firm believer that they will heal stronger, it was my experience anyway. No long term damage from training this way, either.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    getting DOMS from an extra hard workout is one thing, but getting it regularly means you are doing something wrong.

stretching and foam rolling are probably going to solve most of your symptoms, but look at the cause. if you are going 110% for the entirety of your workout, it might seem like the best way to improve, but it's probably the quickest way to an injury.
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I think it has a lot to do with over doing it... Im at 180lbs and im burning 1k plus cals per workout... And its 99 percent strength training.. I think im comparing myself to others that r smaller and trying to be at that level... Slow and dteady i guess
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I experience DOMS every time I change my set and rep range. It normally lasts for just the first week.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I think it has a lot to do with over doing it... Im at 180lbs and im burning 1k plus cals per workout... And its 99 percent strength training.. I think im comparing myself to others that r smaller and trying to be at that level... Slow and dteady i guess

You are burning 1k + calories per workout and 99% of that is strength training? How long do you work out for?
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well, it depends how sore you are. I will tell you that what you eat will significantly impact how sore you the next day. Aim for an anti inflammatory diet. No beans (including peanuts), no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, no processed foods. I wouldn't believe it made a difference if I hadn't tried it myself. I can definitely tell the difference when I eat correctly and when I don't.
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I find that a cold shower followed with massaging tiger balm into the sore spots works well for me.