Thyroid Suffers: About Dry Hair- Vitamins??

Options
ebgbjo
ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
My hair is SUPER dry and falling out so fast, in CLUMPS, lots of them, all day and has been for the past four years :( I thought it would start to get better as my TSH and everything else starting getting in the "normal" range, but it hasn't. Have tried various thyroid pills, but still falling out at the roots. I have tried multi-vitamin pills, switching shampoos, switching to sulfate-free shampoo, ect- and nothing.

So, for you fellow thyroid suffers (I am hypo) what have any of you found, if any, to help with the extremely dry hair? Any vitamins or supplements? A shampoo or other product? I am willing to dry almost anything. It is to the point where I am afraid to wash and/or brush and blow dry it anymore :(

Thanks for any advice

Replies

• McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I wish I was help.. I am Hypo as well, and so is my mother, grandmother and great grandmother,,, we all have oily hair blech.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I use leave in conditioner after washing and conditioning it. I also only wash my hair 2 to 3 times a week so that my hair is not so dry. Also, anemia runs rampant in people with thyroid problems and that can contribute to hair loss. you may want to get checked for it.
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    How long has your TSH levels been in the norm?? It may be you just need time to adjust. My hair is always dry no matter what but I like Infusium 23 Leave in treatment. I have not found any thing that works though so I just suffer with dry hair (and dry skin...eerr!)
  • hsk11270
    hsk11270 Posts: 48
    Options
    I suffer too...at one point when it was really bad I would put a dime to nickle size amount of nice, food grade body oil in my palms and rub it into the ends (lower 1/3) of my hair really well and then brush thru with a boar brislte brush. You can use olive, sweet almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed oil or whatever. Believe me you could not tell I put oil in my hair but it did really help with the frizzy dryness and the boar bristle brush is excellent for trapping loose hairs. Also I would not wash my hair but 2-3 times a week and I do not blow dry very often or use styling irons etc. I have a long layered cut so I can get away with minimal heat styling. See if this helps and always use conditioner. Make sure you are drinking enough water and getting enough omega fatty acids in your diet
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I use leave in conditioner after washing and conditioning it. I also only wash my hair 2 to 3 times a week so that my hair is not so dry.

I only wash my hair 2-3x/week as well. I shampoo, use a deep conditioner (that I leave on for 3 mins), rinse, and them spray on leave in conditioner. I never use a hair dryer...I just let it air dry before going to bed. I do use a flat ironr, I have for several years, but I spray on a protien mist/protectant on my hair first.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Wow.... I dont' know why but for some reason even though I've read the thyroid symptoms before it wasn't until I saw this that I realized THIS might be why in the last year my hair suddenly became INSANELY dry - I have been dying and strugging with it and I just couldn't figure out what the hell had happened, I'm too young for menopause and faaar past puberty. Damn.

I guess I should go to the doctor. Ugh. I hate doctors.

Um so I clicked through to mention that the only thing that's really helped my hair at all is that silicone based stuff (most companies make one - they market as 'shine serum' or similar.) Its not a REAL fix but it does really make it silky and nice between washes - it washes out though. A small bottle is kind of pricy but goes a long way - be very careful to only use a tiny tiny bit.
  • lannahgirl
    lannahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well I have just been told by my doc that I have hypothyroidism.....which explains a lot but the side effects scare me to the point where I don't want to take the stupid little pill!
  • beckymorris68
    beckymorris68 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lannahgirl, there are no side-effects to levoT as far as i am aware. Only improvements! Don't be scared to take it as being hypo is far worse than taking the stuff :-)

Original poster...try serum for your dry hair. I have oily hair and it was falling out, but responded well to small increase of levoT, which yours clearly hasn't. Serum is lovely stuff and doesn't weigh your hair down.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, with the addition of having very fine hair due to genetics, and levothyrox has done nothing to change that (I've been taking it for 11 years).

I've learned to put up with it. I have good weeks, and bad weeks. On the bad weeks, I use leave-in treatments or serum after a shower. I also started taking (3 days ago) vitamin b8, which I think is called biotin in the US. It is supposed to help with hair and nails, but the effects take a while, so I haven't seen any improvement yet.

Good luck!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Well I have just been told by my doc that I have hypothyroidism.....which explains a lot but the side effects scare me to the point where I don't want to take the stupid little pill!

Oh, please take the T4*. Finding the correct dosage *might* be tricky (it wasn't for me), but you're certainly doing your body a favor by taking it.

* If you want to explore other options, I know some people take T3 instead of T4, which is the usual treatment. You might want to look into that, athough I know nothing about it, the people who take it swear by it.
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have Hypo. I suffer from dry skin and i have baby fine hair naturally that falls out easily. I have found that taking Futurebiotics brand of Hair Skin and Nails vitamins really helps, i drink LOTS of water and I use Moroccan oil for my hair. Pu a small dime size into wet hair and it gives moisture to your hair. Hope this helps!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I have been taking synthroid for 12 years and have not ever experienced any of the "cover my *kitten*" side effects that the drug companies must disclose. Not to say that nobody has a reaction or an issue, but I never have. I must also add that the pill, I literally have to force myself to get out of bed in the morning. My underactive thyroid is so bad without the pill that I have no energy and no motivation. I say try the pill for 30-60 days and see what happens.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    This happened to me about 5 years ago--I lost a baseball size clump on the right side of my head, over my ear. Awful. Sorry you are dealing with it.

I was diagnosed w/ Hashimoto's Disease (4 other women in my family have it too), and was on thyroid meds for 7 yrs and a narcolepsy med for 4 years without really any improvement, and finally quit them both last year when the Armour thyroid became unavailable.

I was back to being non-functional by 2 pm when my chiro recommended a supplement called Thytrophin PMG, made by Standard Process, $12 for 90 tablets. I take 2 in the morning, 1 around lunch and sometimes 1 late afternoon.

It has been a miracle for me -- energy back, hair and skin healthy -- I haven't felt this good since my 20s. After a year off meds and on this supplement, I had my TSH, T3 and T4 levels checked last month--perfect! Also had a throat ultrasound--no more indication of Hashimoto's--I can't believe it, but I'll take it!

Good luck! I think you can get the supplement from a chiropractor or naturopath, or possibly online.

blessings.