Can someone not having BED and be obese ???

Options
I'm pondering this today...
I was diagnosed with Binge eating disorder...and I have been over weight a few times in my life during my relapses.
Makes me wonder....are there any peeps who are obese/severely overweight who do not binge???

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I didnt binge my way to 340lb..I drank a lot of soda and gained the weight over about a decade
  • kajorma
    kajorma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I didn't really binge, but I was getting no exercise and eating a lot.
    By BMI I hit severely obese. I'm down to obese now.

So, I was definitely eating a lot (and drinking a lot of soda and beer) but I didn't go on binges.
    Just an overall unhealthy lifestyle.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible. People can simply eat too many calories on a day to day basis and become very overweight to obese.

At 5'6", the top of the healthy range (per BMI) is 154 pounds (24.9 BMI.) The top of the overweight range (29.9 BMI) is 185. That's a 31 pound difference. Over the course of a year, you'd only have to eat 300 extra calories per day to gain 31 pounds. That's 2 T peanut butter on 1 slice of bread. One large apple and 1/4 cup (measured by cup, as most people who aren't trying to lose weight do) of almonds. It's very easy to eat 300 calories per day extra.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I used to be severely overweight and didn't binge. I just used to eat a lot, all the time...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would guess that most people who are overweight/obese don't have BED. It just happens to be your specific issue.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was obese and never binged. Just ate too much. It's really not hard to eat above maintenance for many people, even those who don't eat huge amounts at a time.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes, it is possible. People can simply eat too many calories on a day to day basis and become very overweight to obese.

At 5'6", the top of the healthy range (per BMI) is 154 pounds (24.9 BMI.) The top of the overweight range (29.9 BMI) is 185. That's a 31 pound difference. Over the course of a year, you'd only have to eat 300 extra calories per day to gain 31 pounds. That's 2 T peanut butter on 1 slice of bread. One large apple and 1/4 cup (measured by cup, as most people who aren't trying to lose weight do) of almonds. It's very easy to eat 300 calories per day extra.
    These are almost exactly my stats, and exactly how I got to 185lbs. No binging, ever. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

These are almost exactly my stats, and exactly how I got to 185lbs. No binging, ever. :)

It is very easy for it to happen. I did have some binging behavior (I don't think it was bad enough for me to call it a disorder but I did it from time to time.) But most of my weight gain was through lowered activity and eating a relatively small amount more than necessary on an ongoing basis. It's exceedingly easy to do.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    NO binges here just plain eating alot. I have 9 pounds to lose to be in the overweight category. I try to watch what and how much I eat now. I love junk food and it would be very easy for me to go back to my bad habits.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Eating what I like in amounts I like + not moving except to get food and/or use the toilet = 320#.

Not everyone who's fat has BED just like not everyone who's thin has anorexia.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I got to the side of "extremely obese" by just having very large portions on a regular basis and not exercising. The only kind of "binge" I might have done was with alcohol now and then. Eating that much food at that weight made it easy to drink a lot.
  • JenniferSchaffer1
    JenniferSchaffer1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I gained weight by not eating enough calories believe it or not. I was not eating enough and my thyroid stopped working.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    drpsamin wrote: »
    I'm pondering this today...
    I was diagnosed with Binge eating disorder...and I have been over weight a few times in my life during my relapses.
    Makes me wonder....are there any peeps who are obese/severely overweight who do not binge???

Yes. I was never a binge eater and crossed the line into obese.
    I just ate too many calories for my size and very sedentary activity level over time. I was never eating whole pizzas, 3 sandwiches, bags of cookies, pans of brownies or gallons of ice cream. I ate what I thought were 3 normal sized meals and a few snacks. I was wrong on the portions that were right for me of many foods because I did not know how many calories I needed and did not track calories.
  • mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    I didnt binge my way to 340lb..I drank a lot of soda and gained the weight over about a decade

Same, without the soda.

I just ate portions that were too large, but never really binged
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Of course. You get fat by eating to much - doesn't have to be all at once. I've never been a binge eater.