Perks of MFP over weights watchers?

Options
kaitmeoww
kaitmeoww Posts: 22 Member
I am trying to decide between which of these two programs I want to use to lose weight and I wanted to get some feedback on them both.

Replies

• kaitmeoww
    Options
    That's a good perk lol
  • NatalieThomas90
    NatalieThomas90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

ive always been a weight watchers microwave meal fan...
    until I tried a store bought alternative and realised "weight watchers" were higher in fat, sat fat, salt and sugar!!

nz607psm9je1.png
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I love weight watchers I have lost 22 pounds so far on the program. It has always worked for me. I really pay just to get weighed. Something about the accountability to someone else's scale that motivates me to keep going. I use MFP to log my food and for the support and to help motivate other people. Weight watchers has been the only thing that works for me!!!
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 lbs on MFP. I changed my eating lifestyle on my own which is helping me maintain now without even logging foods. Also, I love that is free and easy to use. My friends are a great support team.
  • lilianstar2000
    lilianstar2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost 1st 2lbs on MFP, its free and fairly easy to use. I use a scale at the gym to weigh myself on Sundays. Weight watchers I have joined as many versions as there are but the calculations drove me mad. also everytime you stop its easy to gain. MFP you can just do it on a smartphone. MFP yey!
  • syuskiw
    syuskiw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How can I get back to the automatic entry of calories when I add a food and serving size? The old version was so much easier. I'm just guessing at calories based on my memory. Help.
    cb2bslim wrote: »
    I lost 45 lbs on MFP. I changed my eating lifestyle on my own which is helping me maintain now without even logging foods. Also, I love that is free and easy to use. My friends are a great support team.

• bjaneb
    bjaneb Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    About 8 years ago I used weight watchers and lost 65 pounds. A change in medications and lifestyle add those pounds back. This time I am strictly MFP and will probably count calories for life. WW is a good plan but the expense is prohibitive.
  • kaitmeoww
    Options
    Yeah, the expense is what's holding me back the most. Also, a 300 calorie breakfast sandwich shouldn't be a third of my daily points.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    i was going to join weight watchers. i know a few people who have had success, bUt then I found MFP and have never looked back. I notice that as soon as my friends stopped going to weight watchers they put the weight back on. That can happen on MFP too but its free.
  • stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've tried WW several times & when they went to Points, I just could not compute that! MFP is a great tool, but this year I joined TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly). It is $32/yr to join & the support in our group is amazing! Between MFP & TOPS I am tracking calories & food exchanges & have dropped 13# - - it is slow going but this is a lifestyle change, not a diet (ei WW). Best of luck with your journey - see you lighter!!
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I did WW a ton of times to success. The highest was 07/08 lost 75 lbs and kept it off till 2011. Last year I lost 35 lbs from march to july on MFP. Last year I also dealt with major family death and issues the deaths caused so I put it all back on between Oct and April. Not MFP's fault since I stopped. Anyhow since the first time I did WW was 1999 and I have had a lot of success on MFP here is my take. I don't like the changes to the program at WW. They change the program a lot and part of that seems to be to make it harder to figure out points. Since I am a vegan many of the foods I eat don't get updated in the database. Also now that the forumla is not as simple as calories plus fiber it is harder to eat out. Often now you can get the calories on a menu directly or online. It isn't easy to get everything else. I am also a runner with a apple watch. I set my calories low and then eat what I earn. I find that easier on MFP.
    I will always support WW for people who want to do it. It does work and it is a lifechanger for many people. They teach ttracking, having a food budget, burning calories, and accountability. I think they are also very helpful for people just starting out coming from a traditional america diet. At the same time they are flexible enough that people with special diets can do WW (was a god send when I figured that out since all the other big diets companies there was NO way for a vegan to do because of the special food).
    MFP is more flexible doesn't change every year. It is based on the easiest measurement of food to find (calories) but you can use it for many other things that rely on other measurements like carbs. You can easily decide to eat your exercise calories. I tired spark people for a week years ago and yuo couldn't. That doesn't work for me.
    free well that goes without saying. WW online is like $20 a month, meetings are like $40-60. MFP is free or $10 a month for the advanced version.

So that is my take as someone who has had success at both.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No weird conversions so you don't end up buying specific, branded items to make logging easier. Calories is compatible with a larger number of restaurants, fitness sites, exercise apps or machines, and universally understood.
    After you have the hang of that, you might want to look at macro counting, dependant on your goal.

And MFP is a CALORIE CALCULATOR. If you're doing maths, you're using it wrong :)

Benefits of WW; In real life support group. Cost can mean commitment to some people. More easily recognised by other family members that you belong to a new lifestyle now by having to go groups. Pressure of weighing in, or a leader to monitor your success can be good or bad depending on individual.
  • kaitmeoww
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The problem I had with Weight Watchers was that I hated the lines, hated the cost, and hated the constant shift from one plan to another. Calculating recipes was impossible. I did reach goal, but there was little one-on-one support. I wanted to be able to avoid pre-packaged, processed foods as much as possible, and some meetings were like an informercial for Weight Watchers products. I gained every pound back, and doubled it.

I am using MFP to track my daily intake and exercise. I am eating real food, calculating recipes, and once I reach my goal weight and go on maintenance, I will probably continue working with a nutritionist, as I am doing at the moment. I don't want to have to stop one type of eating when I reach goal and transition to another. I want to work into a way of life that supports eating fresh, whole foods and getting as much nutritional bang for the buck as possible.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    In for free.
  • sjcrunner
    sjcrunner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off WW for several years. I'm a runner and love my carbs. Some years ago WW changed and made fruits and vegetables "free" and carbs very costly. I found myself hungry all the time and always cheating, and therefore did not loose weight. I find counting carbs much easier and am never hungry staying within my personal limits. Because I choose to eat more complex carbs, I find my energy level higher and therefore my exercise much easier.....and yes, I'm loosing weight again.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I had great success with WW year ago, but here I am again, so I didn't learn very much about maintaining. The new Smart Points are ridiculous as I've seen many post about them here.

MFP is free, has a lively support community, and let's YOU make the choices without any mysterious formulas.
  • becca1380461
    becca1380461 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Why not both. Use WW as a guideline for starting out but still log the calories and exercise using MFP to get used to the math and how it works. Then once you've lost, your have the skills you need to maintain and keep the weight off! WW is a temporary thing, unless you plan on buying packaged food for the rest of your life. :) MFP is lot more about food education and encouraging smart diet choices long term.