Moving towards primal way of eating...

Options
Gritty_Gal
Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
I know that the best way to change your way of eating is to get rid of all the foods you don't want to eat from your pantry and fridge and replace it with the healthy options. So I did it this weekend. The problem is, that I hate throwing out food. And looking at all the foods that I was supposed to get rid of simply because they don't fit primal way of eating made me sick. So I put all the non-primal/non-Paleo foods in one cupboard and decided to eat those first before changing my diet. It will probably take me about 2 weeks to get through it, but I just couldn't bring myself to throw it out.

Has anyone else gone through similar experience / feelings? Any advice?

Replies

• hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    No time like the present. But, you need balance, even if you are adopting a 'primal' lifestyle. You still need to eat the 'unhealthy' foods every now and then. It's not about completely cutting them off. Enjoy it.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What foods were they? If they were things like cheetos, crackers, empty caloric foods, I'd say grit your teeth and toss them. Otherwise they can fit in with primal. Even cheetos can if you want them to, as long as they aren't a daily occurrence. :smile:
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    No junk food. We don't eat that anyway. But things like pasta, lentils, potatoes, peanut butter, beans and some other grains that I have already opened and used. The food that I haven't opened yet (bags, boxes or cans) I packed up and will drop off at our local food cupboard for those in need. I feel better doing that then throwing it out.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Why not donate the food to a local homeless shelter or food bank.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    No time like the present. But, you need balance, even if you are adopting a 'primal' lifestyle. You still need to eat the 'unhealthy' foods every now and then. It's not about completely cutting them off. Enjoy it.

Thank you for your encouragement! We have cut out most processed foods last year. We've enjoyed the transition and have been happy with the changes. Reading about all the benefits of primal way of eating seems like a very logical and even more healthy next step. And so here we are :) But you're right - I'm not about to deprive myself of my mom's apple pie when we visit her or a piece of birthday cake on spacial occasion.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I'm following the more Primal thing these days, but only during the week. I still eat what I want (within calories) on the weekends.

I won't stick with something long-term if I can NEVER have it again. And I do love oatmeal and Twinkies.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options

That's exactly what I'm doing with the food that has not been opened.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I recommend The Real Meal Revolution if you need some inspiration and Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
    by Weston Price is an awesome read.
  • mallaidhnme
    mallaidhnme Posts: 423 Member
    Options

This is what I did--as long as the food is unopened, of course. Anything that is opened I evaluate based on how much I like it and how much I would "lose" by throwing it away.

Helpful hint: most local food banks can accept canned food up to two years after expiration/best by date and boxed food (Hamburger Helper, e.g.) up to one year after the expiration date.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    I love the suggestions and your positivity! You are AWESOME! Keep it coming... Thank you :)
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Helpful hint: most local food banks can accept canned food up to two years after expiration/best by date and boxed food (Hamburger Helper, e.g.) up to one year after the expiration date.

At the food bank distribution center where I used to volunteer, cans were never counted as expired unless they were dented in a way that would damage the lining. Not even years after they were made .

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I threw out some food and regretted it later when I realized that it's not so much about what you eat but how much and how often :#