Best protein powder for weight loss?!

Options
Graciefab
Graciefab Posts: 30 Member
Looking for something low fat, high fiber and maximum protein!

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Protein powder will only help with weight loss in that it might help you feel satisfied. You have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight, and you can do that with any protein powder - or without. Depending on your calorie and macro goals, you might have better success by eating lean meats, beans, eggs, and dairy, along with whole grains, vegetables, and fruits.

That said, if you chose to go with a protein powder, find one you like. I've enjoyed EAS Lean 15 and Complete 25, as well as Pure Protein.
  • 2ndhalfrally
    2ndhalfrally Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked that...I am looking for the same answer. I have been taking a basic protein powder and mixing it with water.....I think it's 25 grams of protein? But I just bought it on my own and am not sure what the best thing is that I should be taking....Is it a meal replacement mix? or just a post workout mix? any suggestions are helpful...
  • sharessa1
    sharessa1 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I like Gold Standard 100% Whey, Mocha Cappuccino flavor. You can add a scoop of fiber powder.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    NONE
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I also like On Gold Standard 100% Whey...my favorite is vanilla and cinnamon bun flavors...I mix them with 8oz of unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    1) Protein powders neither cause not aid weight loss
    2) However, they can be helpful for getting enough protein if you find that difficult while eating at a deficit.
    3) Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard tastes great and is only 120 calories.
    4) You'll be better off getting fiber from other sources (veggies).
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss.

But since you asked, I like Premier Protein, 160 cals, 30g protein, 3g fat, 5g carbs.
  • Graciefab
    Graciefab Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was just asking because I'm having trouble eating all my protein macros each day! Was going to add this in to help!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Just treat it like any other food.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked that...I am looking for the same answer. I have been taking a basic protein powder and mixing it with water.....I think it's 25 grams of protein? But I just bought it on my own and am not sure what the best thing is that I should be taking....Is it a meal replacement mix? or just a post workout mix? any suggestions are helpful...

It's not really a meal. If you think of your macros - protein, fat & carbs. Then you look at micronutrients and fiber. Protein shakes are great for meeting protein goals. But if you want to create a meal, use it as a "base." Google green smoothies........add spinach, fruit, nut butter, seeds, etc.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like getting my protein from natural sources. I used to have trouble, too- but now have it narrowed down to a few favorites that are easy and chock full of protein: Trader Joes' Simply roast turkey (their "simply roasted chicken" is good, too- although both are higher in sodium than I would like). A real calorie:protein bargain. They also have a canned WILD alaskan salmon- 180 cals for the whole can and *39*g of protein. I eat a min of 110g of protein daily & have no trouble getting it in now. An added bonus is that protein fills you up. No sure you get that effect with the protein powder (?) you certainly don't get any chew value- and it seems most have a lot of artificial ingredients.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I got some whey powder and some PB2 powder from Bulk Barn and I add a scoop to my hot cereal breakfast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

A protein supplement isn't a meal replacement as it does not have any other nutritional value...a meal replacement would have all kinds of other stuff to...well, supplement for an actual meal.

Protein powders are just protein and used as a supplement to help you hit your protein targets if you are not doing so with your diet. Most people shouldn't have issue getting most, if not all of their proteins needs with their normal diet, but others have loftier targets which are hard to hit without supplementation or eating chicken and tuna all day.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

A protein supplement isn't a meal replacement as it does not have any other nutritional value...a meal replacement would have all kinds of other stuff to...well, supplement for an actual meal.

Protein powders are just protein and used as a supplement to help you hit your protein targets if you are not doing so with your diet. Most people shouldn't have issue getting most, if not all of their proteins needs with their normal diet, but others have loftier targets which are hard to hit without supplementation or eating chicken and tuna all day.

That, and its cheaper than buying loads more meat.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Choose whatever protein powder you like the taste of. Mix it with full cream milk and add chia seeds and/or flaxseed meal to bump up the fibre.

My favourite protein powders are optimum nutrition casein and Quest. Casein mixes up thicker and digests slower than concentrate or isolate based powders, which in turn helps me stay fuller. Quest is is a mix of Isolate and casein.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I've been ordering from True Nutrition, their protein powders tend to have better numbers than other stuff I have used. (less sugar, carbs)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Calorie deficit for weight loss.

But since you asked, I like Premier Protein, 160 cals, 30g protein, 3g fat, 5g carbs.

I second this one, it's what I have for a snack some days when I need to get more protein in, and it helps when I'm hungry and it's not meal time.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I drink a plant based protein powder. Its vegan. Called vega protein + greens protein powder.
    It has 2 servings of greens in every scoop plus all the proteins are plant pased high fiber grain proteins. Its also lower in calorie than most protein powders at 110cal a scoop with 20g of protein.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I like the body logix brand protein powders. They are low cal (between 115 &125cals depending on flavor for 24g protein), easy to get locally (meijer), and most importantly I enjoy them without adding a bunch of other stuff.

They are also organic, use no hormone added dairy and gmo free if that matters to you.....
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I like the Eas Advantedge Carb Control shakes or the Life Basics protein mix