• 40ishloser12
    40ishloser12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations great job :)
  • bradcfairchild
    bradcfairchild Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Congratulations!!! Tough conditions and tough course!

Hey, I know tough race conditions, people were super cold on the bike, lucky for me it was pouring rain when I got out of the water. I put on a coat and gloves. Did you do St George?
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    My wife is like the best hiker, and I almost kept up with her while hiking Olympus yesterday. That says a lot about the shape I'm getting in. When she wants me to go faster she tell me that I'm the best hiker ever. :wink: Also saw 200lbs on the scale. Good day for sure. Now I have to get back on the training schedule for the Ironman. It really is kind of a crazy thing to do, but I was crazy enough to pay for it so I'm doing it with a smile on my face!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Go Brad go!!!!
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    I hit a speed bump, so to speak, in my training yesterday. Actually it was train tracks. I went out in the street to get a better angle, but tandem bikes are so long and heavy. I probably started straightening out too early so that the back tire fell in the tracks and we went down. My wife is a tough little mama. She just has road rash and a sore neck. I remember bits and pieces, like a dream almost, I remember the tire, hitting the ground, people standing around offering to help, being on the train which took us to the hospital. I remember everything after we got off the train. The results of trying to get into share and loose weight is: a concussion of sorts, road rash, a minor break in my left wrist, and a separated right shoulder. It's the shoulder I'm most worried about. Has anyone had a separated shoulder? Does it heal quickly? Did you need surgery? The x-ray shows about an inch gap where the collar bones should be touching the shoulder. I came to work today because I didn't want to sit around feeling sorry for myself. I doubt I'll make the whole day though. Yike! Life just happened. Next move heal and go forward.
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    I had surgery 4 days ago. I'm healing slowly. Every morning I can tell it's a tiny bit better. The Doc said to move the arm only from the elbow down until I see him again in a week. I've decided my diet is that more important now that I'm limited on moving. It hurts like crazy to move. I went 12 hours between pain pill yesterday. Maybe I can be done with them today. I did see 201 on the scale the other day. I think Ironman is out this year but I can still accomplish some dieting goals.
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Get well soon! Maybe just a speed bump to an ironman next year? :)
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    @bradfairchild somehow I missed this news! I'm so sorry but glad you're healing and that your wife wasn't hurt worse! I hear you on the messed up tri season. I'm in a boot from a broken leg last month that was just a stupid fall. Yes, nutrition now is the thing and let's both focus hard on getting that right - then we'll be extra ready when we can get back to it. Best wishes for speedy healing!
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    @bradfairchild somehow I missed this news! I'm so sorry but glad you're healing and that your wife wasn't hurt worse! I hear you on the messed up tri season. I'm in a boot from a broken leg last month that was just a stupid fall. Yes, nutrition now is the thing and let's both focus hard on getting that right - then we'll be extra ready when we can get back to it. Best wishes for speedy healing!

Best wishes for speedy healing! To you too.
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    At the Post Op office visit my doctor convinced me to NOT, run or swim until after I heal and the plate is out. I have a titanium plate screwed to my collar bone which is holding up my clavicle which is holding up the rest of my shoulder and arm. Now that I see what he did, I agree that it's best to let this heal with as little bouncing and repetitious exercise as possible. I'm still plotting with Ironman to see if I can still partially do it. This time I'm asking if I can switch to a team with my step daughter doing the swim and the run. She did it last year, she just had a baby but could get in shape again for those parts. This is my last request before I ask for the $150 refund, cancel my reservations and tell my wife to schedule a cruise. On a more positive note. I've been below 200 lbs on the scale a couple times recently. It gives me hope that I'm doing something right with the diet. I would be fithappy to maintain around 190 lbs and race below 185 lbs.
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    I officially withdrew from Ironman Coeurdalene. I have decided that the half in St George will be my big triathlon. Spudman in Burley, Idaho will be the other Triathlon I do. It takes way too much time to train for a full. A half is doable while maintaining my life style. So, in a way, this accident helped me decide important things.
  • solieco1
    Options
    This is why 70.3 is my favorite too.
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your accident, love your attitude and drive though. Good effort.
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    I'm thinking this morning about life and wellness. I'm not longer wearing my wrist brace for my broken left wrist. It makes typing interesting. My shoulder is healing. I still have metal inside holding my shoulder together. I've been good about not running, I couldn't swim, I'm thinking of starting to bike again but my wrist might be an issue still. I've just been hiking and flying. Most days I'm good about eating, I've had a few bad days. I've seen a few 199lbs on the scale. If I had not been injured, I would be out running biking and swimming most of Saturday and a lot more on week days, to get ready for the event day. Instead I'm getting things done around the house and spending more time with my wife. She's way more fun to be with anyway. I'm not a fit as I would be but I'm healing, life is good, and we're going on a cruise to the Mediterranean in a few months.
  • solieco1
    Options
    Sometimes these enforced down times from training are a needed respite.
  • solieco1
    Options
    BTW, I registered for Ironman Costa Rica 70.3.
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    BTW, I registered for Ironman Costa Rica 70.3.

Costa Rica is an awesome place to play before and after a race. Wish you well.

I signed up for St George half. Once I've healed up I should have about 6 months to get ready for it. My ife and I have been hiking and flying a lot this summer. So I'm not totally out of shape. The titanium comes out early next month (Sep). I should be able to train normal after our cruise which is in October. Life is good, I'm maintaining around 203 lbs. I'm thinking of trying the high fat low carb imbalance, (keto diet) to see if I can burn some fat that way. I have a friend who loves it. Giving up sugar seems so hard. Getting my head wrapped around something like that will be the hardest part. Then hopefully I don't hurt myself and life can go on.

Does anyone have good or bad experience with starving yourself of carbs?
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    I've almost completed week one, of eating a low carb high fat diet. Avocado's are my super food. This is the first time of changing my eating habits that I have seen and felt a significant difference in the first week. I don't have any ketone sticks yet but I'm pretty sure I've successfully entered Ketosis. I've not worried about going over my calorie count. In fact I'm sure I've been significantly over. I can honestly say I have noticed a change. The biggest change is this, after three days of being on the diet and a 19.4 mile hike up Timpanogos; I didn't have swelling in my legs and I felt great the next few days. I'm also down on the scale 4 lbs. I'm curious how the next few weeks will go. I'm happy at the results and sad of thinking my love affair with easy carbs is over.

"Ketosis /kᵻˈtoʊsᵻs/ is a metabolic state in which most of the body's energy supply comes from ketone bodies in the blood, in contrast to a state of glycolysis in which blood glucose provides most of the energy." from Wikipedia

I think I understand the science behind this way of eating. I read a lot before starting. Before last week (last few years) I considered myself to have eaten pretty good, stayed under my calorie count, exercised a lot, etc. I've done nothing but fluctuate up and down around a set point. This diet is giving me hope that I've found a key into the way my body functions. I know it's extreme to cut carbs so drastically. I love fruit and have only had the littlest bites of a peach this week. I've had almost no bread, and pretty much no easy sugar. Most my carbs have come from vegetables and various low card foods. I love fatty foods so there is some positives to this diet. I've had 2 sausage links, eggs, cheese, and a Anaheim pepper, each morning for the last week. I guess the sausage took the place of toast and jam. I've missed the OJ too. Some day I hope to enjoy some of these carbs again.

I don't have much to loose. To look at me, you would think I'm not over weight, they say I carry it well... But I like to do extreme things and being 10 - 20 lbs over is not good. So I've taken up extreme dieting to match my activities. I know there are plenty of opinions to go for and against getting into a ketosis state. The one thing that is bugging me the most is that my gut feels full in a weird way most of the time. (I don't know how to describe it, maybe a greasy feeling) I skipped dinner yesterday and it felt good to feel hungry. After Flying our paragliders, I had a shake that consisted of 1/2 cup half and half, some cream cheese, some CG control for flavor, some Stevia, ice and peanut butter. It's pretty tasty really.

OK, so I'm in my first week! There will be more to come. Later - BRad
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I recently joined the low carb group (The Low Carber Daily Forum- LCD) and there are a ton of resources there. You should check it out- lots of people on keto diets and modified low carb. This is a great place to ask questions.

Best of luck!
  • bradcfairchild
    Options
    I recently joined the low carb group (The Low Carber Daily Forum- LCD) and there are a ton of resources there. You should check it out- lots of people on keto diets and modified low carb. This is a great place to ask questions.

Best of luck!

Thanks, I did read a few post in that post. It looks like there are people who are just starting like me and people who have done it for years. I'll see if I can figure it out how to join. It'll be nice to see how other people are doing it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!