Running is my magic pill...

Options
bnmoyler
bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've always suffered from anxiety and depression. Living a medicated life is just not my thing so over the years, I've chose to suffer. But somehow, running makes it all vanish. I can be literally at 0 before I run and afterwards, I'm like at 100. I'm astonished at how effective this is. It's definitely my drug and I just can't get enough. Wow. Has anyone else had this experience?

Replies

• Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I feel that way on my bicycle. I can start out anxious, depressed, or with a migraine. That all disappears when I start pedaling.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Running definitely helps with my anxiety- I often say it's the only time I can stand to be with my own mind. Problem is, I can't run 24/ hours a day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    All the various workouts I do, running and others, invariably lift me up both mentally & physically.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Me too! Running makes all my worries and problems dissapear!
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Running is my best therapy!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Yes, running is so very good for my mood.
    Running got me through an incredibly difficult few months when my mum was in hospice care before she passed away. I think it kept me sane. I have fits of losing enthusiasm for running - especially at this time of the year when it's dark and cold in the morning, but I know it's worth it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I agree. Running and exercise in general and known to help increase mood. It is a common recommendation for those with depression and bipolar disorder.

I have bipolar disorder. All while I'm pretty batty when not on medication, it is well controlled with medication. However, I am always more stable with consistent running in conjunction with medication. It definitely helps me feel like a normal, functioning human being!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Out of all the types of exercise that I currently do, running is THE BEST one for lifting my mood. I am always astonished at how good I feel after a run, and that good feeling lasts throughout the day. I have depression-dominant bipolar disorder and am on several medications, but never felt 100%. Running was the boost that I needed to get me to that 100%. I love running!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Cycling and running both make my anxiety fade away. If I don't do anything about my anxiety it will become depression; if I go for a ride or a run, I get endorphines instead. :)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    bnmoyler wrote: »
    I've always suffered from anxiety and depression. Living a medicated life is just not my thing so over the years, I've chose to suffer. But somehow, running makes it all vanish. I can be literally at 0 before I run and afterwards, I'm like at 100. I'm astonished at how effective this is. It's definitely my drug and I just can't get enough. Wow. Has anyone else had this experience?

Running has been my stress relief for over 30 years. Always erases or diminishes whatever unpleasant thoughts I might be dealing with. Unfortunately I am having a knee issue and have had to put running on the back burner for now. I hate it. Appt. with an ortho in a few weeks to see what's going on...hopefully it's nothing that rest won't heal. Walking just doesn't give me the same "fix", sadly.
  • mave36
    mave36 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This thread is fantastic!!!! I run for a couple of reasons,
    1. I suffered a back injury and now I run because I can and to strengthen the muscles around that injury and
    2. I am a mom who deals with anxiety and depression. I have two teenagers, one who deals with bad anxiety.

It is incredibly beneficial for me to take that time for myself to quiet my head and to be stronger in dealing with daily life.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I find myself generally on a more even keel when I'm keeping up with running, and on days where I take off from work due to an exam, I find that running that morning helps me focus and relieves a bit of stress :smile:
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    bnmoyler wrote: »

Exactly the same for me! I refuse to take drugs. Running IS my drug. Unfortunately that does mean that my mood can be greatly affected when I want/need to run and cannot.
  • Sklahsen
    Sklahsen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm generally a nervous/anxious person and it comes out in nail bitting. I started the Couch to 5K 4 weeks ago, and i actually have nails! It is a great stress reliever for me! as much as the run kills me some days, I always feel better when I finish
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Yes. Runners high is totally real. Once I get past that first mile life feels amazing.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    that is awesome -- you look very fit and happy! just walking can make me feel like a million dollars. Keep up the hard work! You are inspiring :)
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Exercise in general does that for me, whether its lifting, running, playing hockey, etc. Anything that gets the old lungs pumping. I haven't done much in 4 days now and I feel terrible! Time to hit the treadmill after work for some therapy!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what it is because it all happened at the same time. I started running, I lost weight, I felt great, cured insomnia, dropped cholesterol.
  • BanksySJ11
    BanksySJ11 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Running helps to sort out my head too. It's the me time that lets me reflect and prioritise what's important from what's really not!