Laides and monthlys

Options
serius question people. Is it true that you weigh more during time of month or do we use it as an excuse
I am so demoralised as a week in was doing well and dropped about 2.5 pounds then i went on a fitness weekend. 13 classes in 48 hrs. I did probably eat most my calories back but sure i didn’t go over…and now i am about 2 pound heavier than when i went on Friday. I am due on my P's so wondered if this is the reason? i worked sooo hard this weekend :-(

Replies

• nikkijean8
    nikkijean8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats - sounds like you're doing a great job. Second, yes, you can and do absolutely hold onto some water weight during your period. I did WW years ago, and weighed in absolutely every single week and it was consistent and predictable that I would gain weight or hold steady the week of my period - every time. Don't worry about it! Another thing to consider that I've seen on the message boards here is that the day after an intense workout, you can sometimes weigh more due to swelling of the muscles. So that could be another thing.
    Now I'm going to be a total hypocrite and say try not to get down from one weigh-in. :) I know it's hard, but don't give up - keep trying, and you'll likely see great results next week. Good job!
  • majorchelsea
    Options
    Hi
    Dont dispair, I have always put on about 6 pounds just before and in the first three days of my period. I also bloat. Im not sure why this happens but it is really common. Most women I know have the same problem. My advise would be dont weigh yourself till after you period and you wwill most likely be pleased with what the scales tell you.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Every woman is different, but keeping hold of water certainly isn't unusual around your period. I tend to maintain in the week I'm due, and then as soon as I come on it all goes again and I feel much better!
  • mcc75
    mcc75 Posts: 72
    Options
    Thanks both of you. My myscles do ache so hoping the days rest will help today. 6 pounds? wow that would really demoralise me. Yes i have told myself i wont weigh til after my Period but i did have a peak today. No more scales. Ill just try carry on doing what im doing and have faith in the programme. Came on the boards for a bit of support really as those disappointments when you work so hard can really push you to the verge of goiving up...reading the posts and they sooo many success stories is making me stay with it though xx
  • MissVV
    MissVV Posts: 19
    Options
    The rise in hormones during your period have a similar structure to the chemicals that cause you to retain water - you will lose the excess water once your hormones are back to normal, don't worry!
    Also you probably built muscle as well as lost fat so measure, don't weigh! Good luck.
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey i always gain 3-7lbs literally the week before i'm due and I literally look much bigger too. My clothes are tighter etc and I don't go over on calories etc. However the weigh in after my P i'm back to normal and clothes fit nicely. So don't worry about it, perhaps just don't weigh in around your monthly. It doesn't hurt to miss a weigh in and you should be pleased with your results

=)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I also put on a few before/during TOM. But I've learned to look forward to it because, the week after, I tend to see a significant loss. Hang in there!
  • helloclaire
    helloclaire Posts: 191
    Options
    I've been at this thing for two weeks.

The first week, I was on my period, and I lost seven pounds in a week.

The second week, I was off my period, and I pretty much plateaued. I think I maybe lost one pound.

I started my period again today (I am irregular - I hear it'll get more regular once I lose weight) and it seems like I've lost weight since yesterday.

It depends on the person, I think. I even indulged more today because I didn't want to stress myself out.
  • naomi7703
    naomi7703 Posts: 17
    Options
    find i gain 2lbs at the end and about 4 days after my TOM then it goes back to normal... things we have to deal with!
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere before that you can gain 6-8 pounds during your monthly. I am always heavier!!! Always!!! And I have mad urges to eat everything in sight too!!! Hang in there xx
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    just to expand on this thread a bit and also hide my post but mother nature is a cow to me not only does she make me retain water during her visit but the week before she arrives she sends her feathered friend to announce her imminent arrival. yip without fail i get thrush the week before my period (woud somebody care to swap their weight gain for my thrush, i'd glady have it), last time this cycle occured it happened for 10 months, then thank heavens i had 11 months free of it but its back this month will be my 4th. the doctors weren't bothered they just told me to use the over the counter stuff as they couldn't see anything (only appointment i could get was 10 days before grrrrrr) apart from once when a smear showed i had it and they gave me antibiotics. i never used to get it and it seems to have all kicked off since i had abnormal cells removed from my cervix.

sorry for this being waaaayyyy too much information but i'm at my wits end i end up in so much pain and discomfort the docs (i'm in the uk) aren't bothered although i may start camping out in their surgery until they start to pay attention, the over the counter stuff isn't really helping. and i really want nookie with my boyfriend again!

anybody got any ideas?
  • ljw556
    ljw556 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yea, I always gain weight too - just before my period. So I've stopped weighing myself that week because last time I did that, I ruined the following week by thinking... what's the point? I worked so hard and put on 4lb... so why bother?? but now I know the reason and have decided to stay oblivious! But also... if you've done that much working out, it could be muscle gain too... muscle weighs heavier than fat. Good luck and keep plugging away! :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Definitely NOT an excuse. But what it is not is FAT gain. It is "weight" gain simply because the scale is measuring everything including water retention. I have yet to meet a female out there that does not retain any water during TOM. So the scale might be going up at that point, but this should never be confused with fat. You did not gain 3-5 pounds of fat that day before TOM.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    yip without fail i get thrush the week before my period (woud somebody care to swap their weight gain for my thrush, i'd glady have it), last time this cycle occured it happened for 10 months, then thank heavens i had 11 months free of it but its back this month will be my 4th. the doctors weren't bothered they just told me to use the over the counter stuff as they couldn't see anything (only appointment i could get was 10 days before grrrrrr) apart from once when a smear showed i had it and they gave me antibiotics. i never used to get it and it seems to have all kicked off since i had abnormal cells removed from my cervix.
    First off, antibiotics GIVE you thrush, not cure it! You need an anti-fungal treatment. Try Canestan Duo - you get a pill and a cream. Also from "Embarrassing Bodies" I've learnt that if you get it all the time, you need to keep up treatment for a long time, not just after the symptoms have first gone. Also stop using shower gel down there, stick with plain water or you'll wash away your body's natural defences. Good luck, it's a nightmare, I know.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    See this is why I love my implant. No periods! I get grumpy but no gain. Before I could gain up to 3lbs! I'd lose it and more the next week but still it's demoralising when you are craving junk!
  • mcc75
    mcc75 Posts: 72
    Options
    Well monthlys have started (finally) so i will resist the demon scales until its all over..so official weigh in sometime ove rthe weekend..until then i train, stay focused and stick to my cals..wish me luck and thanks for the replies people