Anyone get headaches after work out?

Options
DrPepper1967
DrPepper1967 Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all, I do exercise a fair bit, but the one step class I do each week seems to give me a headache about 2-4 hours afterwards. I would say that I do sweat quite a lot, so I did up my intake of water but it doesn't seem to be working. I have also tried cutting out caffeine but that didn't work either. I have been doing this class since December so it's not a matter of getting used to it.
Wondering if anyone has had any similar experience. thanks

Replies

• stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hm... maybe try refueling with some kind of salty snack after your workout? Maybe you're suffering an electrolyte deficiency from sweating/dehydration
  • kellysottile1
    kellysottile1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I have also had this issue. Have u ever tried a heart rate monitor? I found if I hit a certain heart rate doing cardio ID get a headache. If I keep it under ID be fine. So I set an alarm on my polar monitor to let me know if I hit 165 so I can tone it down a bit.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I get headaches if I don't eat enough protein. Try increasing your protein intake before and after your workout.
  • aurical84
    aurical84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with stephinator92 - have something salty or supplement with sports drinks or electrolyte water and see if that helps.

Also if you start out dehydrated it's likely to make the problem worse. I'm usually more dehyrdrated in the morning - since I usually exercise after work now and I constantly have something to drink with me (water or black tea/coffee) it hasn't been an issue.
    As beautifulwarr mentioned, nutrition is also really important and a combo of poor nutrition and dehydration can be awful. I had headaches much more frequently when I used to go for early morning runs followed by some water but also a lot of coffee and an insufficient breakfast (maybe a banana).
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well I agree with aurical84. Pre-hydrate. Drink a half gallon of water per day or more, including non-work out days. If you're already doing that or you try it and it doesn't work, then I would definitely see a doctor about it. Also, how many hours of sleep are you getting every night?
  • DrPepper1967
    Options
    thanks all, I will look at having a salty snack to see if that works. Every morning when I get up I do drink a glass of water, take water with me to gym and drink a small bottle of that during and after work out, followed by another glass when I get home. So I do think I am hyrdrated. I hope the salty snack works as I love my step class.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I used to get this too, after 'more strenuous than usual' workouts, eg when I biked further than I ever had before etc. Can safely report it very rarely happens these days even though I'll happily ride 5x the distance that used to bring on the headache. Persevere if you can, keep building your fitness up and I'm pretty sure it'll go away. Of course try experimenting with the fluids, salt, carbs, protein etc just in case you find a fix.
  • DrPepper1967
    Options
    I tried some peanut butter today and didn't get a headache, yay!!! so thanks for advice I am very happy that I found a cure
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I tried some peanut butter today and didn't get a headache, yay!!! so thanks for advice I am very happy that I found a cure

This is good to know, as I sometimes have issues with headaches after particularly strenuous workout. I will try peanut butter as well. :smile: