Crossfit???

Options

Replies

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    With all sports, and I consider CrossFit one, you run the risk of injury. Ask a runner what their last injury was and I bet they'll be able to tell you without hesitation and it likely was within the last 6 months. Heck, tennis and gold even have an injury named after them.

I've been doing CrossFit for almost a year now and love it. I don't think you'll ever find a better full body workout if your goal is general fitness and conditioning. I also guarantee, with a few exceptions, you'll never push yourself as hard as you will in CrossFit. The goal, as has been mentioned above, is YOU have to be able to leave your ego at the door and not care about how much weight you are lifting. Yes I'm sure there are bad coaches, but that doesn't excuse people from attempting something they know at heart is dangerous. If you find yourself with a bad coach, you should look around for another box, but I don't think you can entirely blame the coach.

Now if you have a good coach, not only will they help you know your limits, they'll be able to help you improve your form, and no matter how good you think your form is, if you have not had proper training, I'll bet it's not that good. My injury rate since starting CrossFit is much lower than when I was working out in the gym on my own, thinking my form was great.

I do agree CrossFit is not for everyone, but I would hazard to guess that most people who have strong negative opinions on it, have never really given it a chance and put in the effort to find out what it's really all about.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    As a competitive powerlifter who's shared the platform with many CFers, I'm totally cool with CF and all the criticisms of injury and qualified coaches are irrelevant insofar as CF as an exercise methodology. And I'm stating this even though I think Glassman is a total arrogant dick.

Regarding kipped pull-ups... For those that Olympic Lift, the kipped pull-up has tremendous crossover to those lifts where the body must get into triple extension.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time last night and it was great! The coach slowed it down and changed the workout to suit my level. Thank you all for your input!!

Awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    I found crossfit through MFP also and I love love love it. All I can suggest is get the basics down and you will have a strong foundation to progress. There is a crossfit love group on here too.
  • kdogni
    kdogni Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love it! Our gym (box) has a variety of programs from cross fit to barbell club to power programs.
    A good box will get you sorted.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thoughts on crossfit; benefits and risks - and go!?

Hi Alyssa, I've been doing CrossFit for about 6 months and I love it. I can tell you I've had zero injuries. I've had more injuries in a season of basketball, volley ball, and softball than I've had at CrossFit. I will also tell you, my gym has fantastic trainers.

However, like any exercise there is a risk of injury. If you check your ego at the door and listen to your trainers and your body you should be fine but make sure you go to a gym that has experienced trainers. Don't listen to all the hype against CrossFit. It's generally from people who don't understand it and have never even been to a CrossFit gym.

I will also tell you that because of CrossFit I understand my body better than I ever have before. I know that when my lower back is sore it's because my hip flexors are tight. I know that when my knees hurt it's because my quads need stretching. It's one of the few workouts that encompass many aspects of fitness like strength, met con, and flexibility.
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's me, but a lot of CF just seems like stuff I did in the military in the field to keep in shape. By in shape I mean back in those days I had 15% body fat and could lift like a beast.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    shank35l wrote: »
    Maybe it's me, but a lot of CF just seems like stuff I did in the military in the field to keep in shape. By in shape I mean back in those days I had 15% body fat and could lift like a beast.

It's not just you. CrossFit was specifically modeled after military training.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    In the early days, as I understand it, small pockets of the military, and law enforcement and fire service, really got behind CrossFit. At the time, Glassman was posting workouts on his website that people could do for free, then post their results. Because of the dramatic performance improvements seen in all these sectors, CrossFit spread through them. At the same time, the same thing was happening with the public, and as people heard about this new thing, they wanted to get involved.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I did it for almost 2 years and it was my first experience with anything to do with lifting. I learned a lot, and I'm glad I did it, but ultimately it was too much upper body for me...I didn't feel like it was a good fit for the body type I was/am going for.

Now I do Orange Theory which also incorporates lifting but more lower body female stuff, and also rowing and cardio. I like a well balanced workout and I didn't think I was getting that with CF. I feel like CF is better suited for a dude who wants to be ripped and lean. Also there are a lot of cult like factors involved that I didn't care for, but I suppose that can happen in any group setting.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    I did it for almost 2 years and it was my first experience with anything to do with lifting. I learned a lot, and I'm glad I did it, but ultimately it was too much upper body for me...I didn't feel like it was a good fit for the body type I was/am going for.

Now I do Orange Theory which also incorporates lifting but more lower body female stuff, and also rowing and cardio. I like a well balanced workout and I didn't think I was getting that with CF. I feel like CF is better suited for a dude who wants to be ripped and lean. Also there are a lot of cult like factors involved that I didn't care for, but I suppose that can happen in any group setting.

If you didn't get enough lower body work and rowing/cardio, you had a terrible box. Not really a reason to blanket all of CF that it's not geared towards women. The reality shows CF providing women with a huge benefit and interest for a women to embrace being strong and powerful and getting rid of the ridiculous cardio bunny & pink dumbell idea.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    @LazSommer - haha well, that is very to the point. I'm starting crossfit for the first time today and am very nervous. I've never lifted or done anything of the sort, but I want to get strong. I'm just worried because everyone keeps talking about how they know someone that's had a injury from doing it.

If your goal is to get strong then crossfit probably isn't the best choice. It'll work for a while, but eventually you'll have to transition to intentional training. A routines like Wendlers 5/3/1, PHUL, PPL, and so forth are focused on strength and will take you much further.

If you want a good read on crossfit, Mark Rippetoe has a post on t-nation that is informative - https://www.t-nation.com/training/crossfit-the-good-bad-and-the-ugly
  • KaylaMack013
    KaylaMack013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Crossfit for nearly 6 months and I completely love it. The box I train at is great at teaching form. I recommending just trying it out- not everyone likes Crossfit- but I've found the competitive nature to be super fun. Give it a try!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Here's another great article, that I think was pretty fair, from t-Nation on one bodybuilder's experience with CrossFit -

https://t-nation.com/training/bodybuilder-goes-crossfit
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Here's another great article, that I think was pretty fair, from t-Nation on one bodybuilder's experience with CrossFit -

https://t-nation.com/training/bodybuilder-goes-crossfit
    Funny thing, just read that.

I choose WODs -- or retool an existing one -- that has the greatest crossover to my sport. The conditioning is invaluable. I run a WOD once a week.
  • alyssarenea1996
    alyssarenea1996 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I live in a very small town so there aren't a ton of people there when I go for CrossFit. I get a lot of one on one training with the instructor. Just signed my membership today :smile: going to work on getting to comp level in CrossFit
    Options
    Luckily, I live in a very small town so there aren't a ton of people there when I go for CrossFit. I get a lot of one on one training with the instructor. Just signed my membership today :smile: going to work on getting to comp level in CrossFit
    That's cool. If you make it to that level, CF games level training is different.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    OP, I couldn't help but eavesdrop on your profile (I won't lie, I'm nosey, I like to read why's and inspirations sometimes) and I'm just going to say I was so relieved that you hunt raccoons. Although The Raccoons was my favourite childhood cartoon so mixed feelings.

@nomadcelt Do you know anything about the crossfit boxes in the North East of England by any chance? Specifically in the Newcastle-upon-Tyne/Morpeth area? I've spoken to a couple but I can't get an unbiased opinion from them as to whether they're one of the good ones or not.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My sister started doing crossfit last week. I was pleasantly surprised that they started her out on the very basics, like lightweight goblet squats, wall pushups..etc. I've read how some establishments tend to push newbies too hard to the point of injury. I'd say give it a go and ask for modifications if necessary (and if they don't allow you any, change gyms). Most of all, enjoy the workout but keep your head screwed on right and don't buy into any of the cultlike beliefs.
  • alyssarenea1996
    alyssarenea1996 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    OP, I couldn't help but eavesdrop on your profile (I won't lie, I'm nosey, I like to read why's and inspirations sometimes) and I'm just going to say I was so relieved that you hunt raccoons. Although The Raccoons was my favourite childhood cartoon so mixed feelings. ...

haha! Feel free to add me. I do hunt raccoons, it's one of my main driving reasons to get healthy!

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    That's cool. If you make it to that level, CF games level training is different.

I'm so glad your CF experience has been a positive one so far O.P.! Nothing has gotten me as fit and healthy as Crossfit has so I love seeing someone else get excited about it.

Much of what both the supporters and opponents of CF have said in this thread are true in regards to some places either not knowing enough or not caring enough to scale appropriately. Having done CF for quite a while now my one word of advice is even if you think you are a great gym with great trainers who give personalized attention and scale appropriately I would still recommend checking some other CF places out before you sign any type of commitment/contract. Looking back I realize that I fully believed movements and weights were scaled appropriately to my level of fitness at the time, however, I honestly didn't know what appropriate scaling should be. I probably could have avoided picking up some bad habits and minor injuries had I really understood what scaling appropriately actually was. Strict strength and good form should always be at the forefront of your training and will serve you much better in the long run.

Also while training to a comp level (regionals/games) is an awesome goal to have, as stated above be aware that there is a world of difference between training "traditional crossfit" and "competitive crossfit." Much of what keeps people coming back to Crossfit everyday is the community aspect of the classes and honestly you lose most of that when you begin to train for competitive fitness. It can be a hard transition to go from that fun hour long class with your friends to at least six days a week of three hours of training a day frequently done alone or just with your coach. It's also made up of a TON of endurance training/strength training/body building with only a handful of the traditional type Crossfit workouts people have come to know and love thrown in. I absolutely love training this way but it's not for the faint of heart. Best of luck!