Gaining weight even though I'm Sticking to my dit & exercisi

Options
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and Hoping for some support/motivation

I always watch what I eat and excercise 2 or 3 times a week (running walking and bar method) but want to lose some weight.

I have reduced my calorie intake by quitting snaking between
Meals, and worked out 6 days a week for the last 3 weeks.

I have the my fitness pro app on my phone, and am sticking to 1200 calories on average (sometimes slightl more, sometimes slightly less but always the calories are in the green) it tells me I should be losing weight but I'm not.

The first week my weight dropped from nearly 61kg to 59.4 kg and I felt great. The next week started to feel hungry and irritable, continued to excersie and eat the same but my weight has slowly increased back to 60.2

I no longer feel hungry, now I just feel sad and frustrated.

What am I doing wrong? How can I possibly be gainin weight despite eating less and doing more?

Replies

• Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? You need to be. You aren't getting enough food to fuel your body if you don't and you are working out consistently.

If you are hungry and irritable, your body is trying to tell you something. You should listen! The fact that you don't feel hungry anymore may be a result of your body trying to compensate for the fact that you haven't been feeding it enough.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    also are you drinking the recommended amount of water per day? 8-10 80z glasses? And how about your sodium? Are you under or at your calories but eating fast food? Or maybe eating a lot of processed foods? both of those are really high in sodium and will make you hold water and in turn weight. One other things... are you eating vegetables? Its not just the calories but the quality of the calories also.
    You shouldnt feel hungry. Eating 4-5 smaller meals a day will help with that. Now your not eating a 3 course meal at all those meals but you are fueling your body to help you have energy to workout and to function.

Good luck

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]4925355.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • plummersmate
    Options
    Hi, it could be any number of things. You don't share your diary so cannot say for definite. It could be that you are not measuring calaroeis carefully, it could be that your not eating enough and your body has gone into starvation mode, it could be your body telling you you don't need to lose (I dont know your height), it could be a medical condition, thyroid, PCOS etc. Sorry this probably isn't much help but could help you explore some possbilities. :smile:
  • fattylumpkins1
    Options
    Ah! So i need to get the green calories number to 0, instead of minus numbers as I have been?

So i should Eat 1200 calories + the amount I burn off exorcising so my final number is 0?
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I dont know if i would eat them all back immediately. Play with it a little bit and see what works... but all the other things people have said need to be looked at also. I personally only eat back a small portion of my exercise calories as thats what works for me
  • fattylumpkins1
    Options
    I think I have change my settings now so you can see my diary.
  • mars_bar
    mars_bar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Don't despair ! The first week is always the easiest because we lose a lot of our water weight. The app is helpful because it tells your weight 5 weeks later. So as long as you are tracking your calories and exercise, there's no need to get on that scale everyday because it isn't gonna change much. Giving at least 2 weeks in between measuring your weight might be a better ego booster.

Keep it up the good work. =)
  • PaulineArghabhadra
    PaulineArghabhadra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :heart: Don't worry your getting your self toned up so your muscles are weighing more than your fat.. So measure yourself to see if inches around your waist are shifting. Keep at it cos it will work out for you in the end...Good luck....
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Okay, don't listen to people when they say "eat your exercise calories back!!" all the time.
    You have to figure out what works for YOUR BODY.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about you eating your exercise calories...I am worried about you eating PERIOD. You rarely reach the 1200 mark, and when you do, it's not the most nutritious food in the world.

I would go back to basics and revamp your nutrition intake. Get fresh veggies and fruits with lean proteins and whole grains. And leave the processed and fried foods as well as the candies at the store for the most part.

Weight loss is hugely dependant upon your eating. It's great that you are exercising, but I would do some research on what you should be eating.

Once you get that nailed, I bet you will start losing weight much more quickly. And when you add exercise on top of that, you will lose even faster. Don't despair, you will lose the weight!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Looking at your weight loss ticker, you are looking to lose 2.5Kg. If that is the case you need to eat more than 1200 calories a day. Your weight lose goal should be no more than 1 pound per week, probably .5 pound per week would even be better.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    You need to look at what you are eating and make healthier choices, fast foods, sweets, alchol are all killers to a diet plan. I would suggest making changes there and exercisiing more.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You need to look at what you are eating and make healthier choices, fast foods, sweets, alchol are all killers to a diet plan. I would suggest making changes there and exercisiing more.

I agree. Some people are able to eat whatever they want in moderation and still lose weight, but other people can't. I can't. I can eat under my calories but have chips, a pop and some candy in there, and there is no way the scale is going to move in the right direction. Maybe try exchanging those snacks with something else for a week and see if it makes a difference?