Family and friends aren't supportive?

Options
I weigh 127 pounds and I'm 5'2. I've lost over 22 pounds in about 6 months. And I want to lose 16 more to be at the perfect weight. But. When I tell my family or friends they all say that I don't need to lose any more weight or that I'm skinny enough. And. They really put me down. By saying stuff like that I'm anorexic or that they wouldn't be suprised if I blew away in the wind. But the thing is. My goal isn't being skinny. But being healthy and have my life changed. I want to be more confident with myself. I'm tired of looking at the mirror and be disappointed with myself.

Replies

• cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your family isnt being supportive. First of all, you have to be happy with what you are at. I adimire you for wanting to feel healthy. Dont listen to negative thoughts they will bring you down. When I first started losing weight I visited my dr. for some meds I have to take and the first thing she said is that I wont be able to lose anymore weight than the 10 lbs. that I lost. I had a friend from work to walk with and then joined mfp. I lost 20 more and have more to go but at least I am not gaining weight. Keep postive and come to your mfp buddies for the support you need. eventually your family will be there to support you too.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel your family aren't supporting you with those comments but it sounds like you are very hard on yourself and maybe they, in their own strange way, are trying to look out for you. 111lbs is at the very low end of your weight range to be honest and the way you refer to yourself, talking about "perfect weight" and how you're not very confident and even disappointed with yourself, despite losing 22lbs, is not something that I believe is entirely solved by an extra 16lbs - there is no guarantee that when you get there you'll suddenly start to like yourself. You need to work on this sooner and love yourself NOW! Good luck and be proud of what you have achieved so far!
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel you pain. I have just accepted that as part of the journey. If eating healthy takes you to "skinny" then so be it. I think most people that have negative comments are a little jealous. Will power is a hard thing to come by, and most people cant find it. Do your thing. Don't let them bring you down.
  • liam_mccaff
    Options
    My advice dont look for re assurances from family/friends go alone and be happy on the inside and outside with yourself you dont need anyone else to tell you what weight you shoul dbe if your happy thats all that should matter!
  • mars_bar
    mars_bar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My advice, don't look for re assurances from family/friends go alone and be happy on the inside and outside with yourself you don't need anyone else to tell you what weight you should be if your happy that is all that should matter!

Well said ! I came to post my 2 cents but I don't think anything can top that. =)