Calories vs Carbs

Options
MoniQ
MoniQ Posts: 22
Hi

i am new to this site and i was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a healthy low calorie breakfast.
I usually eat a bowl of muesli for breakfast with skim milk but that is very high in calories. Shoul i be more concerned with the carb consumption or calorie consumption?

Thanks

Replies

• MoniQ
    Options
    Hi

i am new to this site and i was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a healthy low calorie breakfast.
    I usually eat a bowl of muesli for breakfast with skim milk but that is very high in calories. Shoul i be more concerned with the carb consumption or calorie consumption?

Thanks
  • afoster4
    Options
    I try and do at least 300 Cals for breakfast, I think i read that in Shape magazine at one point, it is a great way to start the day or something.

I usually have a piece of whole wheat toast with i cant believe its not butter light, either an apple, pear or oragne....with a glass of light 'n healthy orange juice...if im still hungry i will have maybe either a light yogurt or a special K bar
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    well i know carbs are harder to burn than calories. i burned 500 today and only 77 carbs. but breakfast eggs are good. are even high fiber toast. i usually eat special K waffles :) fills me up and not bad in calories either.
  • ndarling
    Options
    Personally I believe that calories are more important than carbs. Especially because it seems your consuming complex carbs which are the "good" ones. Your breakfast seems totally reasonable, I sometimes eat as much as 500 calories at breakfast. I don't sweat it because, it's all healthy calories that my body can process. I think you're on the right track. oxox
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, calories count! Simple math: expend more engry than consumed = weight loss.

I am not a fan of the no/low carb "diets." If you read the literature, then those that do follow a no/low carb diet do lose weight. However, it is mostly water weight, and the weight loss does not have staying power. Those that follow a healthy lifestyle lose weight and maintain that loss.

Good luck.
  • happenstance82
    Options
    At the end of the day, calories count! Simple math: expend more engry than consumed = weight loss.

I am not a fan of the no/low carb "diets." If you read the literature, then those that do follow a no/low carb diet do lose weight. However, it is mostly water weight, and the weight loss does not have staying power. Those that follow a healthy lifestyle lose weight and maintain that loss.

Good luck.

I concur! I've tried diets that limited my carb intake. Yes, I lost weight, but it was always up and down and I was never truly satisfied with it.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    I dislike low carb "diets!" My coworkers do this and it drives me crazy!!! They eat a ton of red meats and bacon - surely that can't be healthy! O'well, at least I know I'm eating the right way! :smile:
    98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    well i know carbs are harder to burn than calories. i burned 500 today and only 77 carbs. but breakfast eggs are good. are even high fiber toast. i usually eat special K waffles :) fills me up and not bad in calories either.

Calories and carbs aren't two different things. I mean, they are, but not in that way.
    Carbohydrates HAVE calories. A carbohydrate is a type of sugar. A calorie is a unit of measurement, just like an inch or a meter. Each gram of carbohydrate contains 4 calories. It can increase 4kg of water by 1 degree Celsius. That's a calorie.
    The reason it looks like you're only burning a few carbohydrates is that your exercise machine calculates what ratio of carbohydrates:fat you're burning based on your level of exertion, but it's not really accurate because that's based more on time and glycogen depletion than it is on exertion. You will always burn carbohydrates selectively over fat until you run low on stored sugars. You're burning plenty of calories FROM carbohydrates. More than from fat, which contains 9 calories per gram, because fat is hard to break down and it takes a long time. Most of the fat loss occurs when we're not exercising, when our bodies have time to produce energy in that way.

Calories are what you need to monitor. Carbohydrates don't make you fat. Whether you're overeating on steak or potatoes, you're overeating.
  • MoniQ
    Options
    Thanx everyone for your help, i'm really learning alot more on this site. I think i'm going to try 1 slice of raisin bread and a fruit for breakfast.
    I went on to a site where i worked out my daily calorie needs and it said 1151 for extreme fat loss. so my question is, on some days i only reach 980 calories a day, according to the food data base on this site .Is it bad to eat below 1000 calories a day ?i dont feel hungry during the day either and i drink alot of water so i feel full longer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone for your help, i'm really learning alot more on this site. I think i'm going to try 1 slice of raisin bread and a fruit for breakfast.
    I went on to a site where i worked out my daily calorie needs and it said 1151 for extreme fat loss. so my question is, on some days i only reach 980 calories a day, according to the food data base on this site .Is it bad to eat below 1000 calories a day ?i dont feel hungry during the day either and i drink alot of water so i feel full longer.

thismember already deactivated their account.....guess I won't answer monique.

:indifferent:
  • Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i try to eat at least 300-500 calories for breakfast .i stay satisfied longer and am not feelin the morning crash like i used to..i cant believe im eating this much and losing weight yeeeea good luck to u all.........:blushing: