Elliptical trainer Vs Running Machine

Options
Which do you guys think work better for weigh lose ?

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you can do for longer periods of time at a faster rate. I can burn far more on an elliptical because I can do it for 45 minutes while I can't manage running on a treadmill for more than 20 minutes (yet). Why do you have to choose?
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I do both. I run couch 2 5k every other day, and on alternate days I do elliptical and strenth training at the gym. I can burn a lot more calories on the elliptical in the same amount of time. I think it's b/c I can go a lot faster--11 minute mile on the elliptical vs. a 13 min. mile on the treadmill.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i have both, but i like my elliptical more. I thought I would do really good on the treadmill, but it got boring for me. I haven't been on it sinch March! The elliptical has become a twice weekly thing for me. I do Zumba 3 days a week and elliptical 2 days a week. I also found that the elliptical was toning my legs quicker than the treadmill was!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Weight barring activities burn more calories.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    ITT: We all act like one exercise is superior to all others.
  • nanc94
    nanc94 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on your work out

there are times where im on the elliptical for 30min at a decent pace and burn around 300 some cal...and then i go on the treadmill and burn nearly 400 in 30 min....and thats because i either did hills and do some sprints (i cant run the whole 30).....and vice versa....if you're putting more effort on one machine than the other you're gonna burn more
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you can do for longer periods of time at a faster rate. I can burn far more on an elliptical because I can do it for 45 minutes while I can't manage running on a treadmill for more than 20 minutes (yet). Why do you have to choose?

I agree with this! And I prefer the elliptical. It is just more fun for some reason. I really want one in my house.
  • AlexandraLove
    Options

I agree with this! And I prefer the elliptical. It is just more fun for some reason. I really want one in my house.

Agree: whichever one works best for you. Elliptical works best for me, but treadmill works best for my mom.

Sometimes there is no right answer: it all depends on you.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Just depends in what mood I'm in. Sometimes I alternate from treadmill (20-25mins), elliptical (30-35mins), and finish off with the stepper (20-30mins). I agree with everyone, which ever you can do the longest at a high pace and resistant but personally I don't have a favorite.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I love the Cybex Arc Trainer. Burns more calories and isn't hard on the knees, but that's just MHO.
  • mars_bar
    mars_bar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you can go longer and hardest on.

The elliptical has less impact/stress on your joints because you don't actually move your feet off of it.