Is it critical to do your lifting in a particular order?

Options
Hi! I am currently following NROLFW and the workouts always tend to start with either squats or deadlifts and then move into "smaller" lifts. Obviously the program is laid out the way it is for a reason but today for example, the squat rack was occupied for a long time and rather than wait around to start my workout I just jumped into the other sets (after warming up) and then came back to squats when the rack was free. Wondering if this is harmful in any way? I don't think my performance on the squats suffered at all, I was still able to get through my sets (although maybe that means I'm not lifting heavy enough!)

Thanks!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I prefer to do my squats first (as prescribed in Stronglifts). When I do have to go out of order because the squat rack is being used, it definitely affects my lifts. I try not to do it very often. I wouldn't say it's harmful, but it's harder.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    They typically have you do compound lifts before you do more focused lifts because you have more explosive energy at the beginning of your routine and will hit those lifts harder. Compound lifts (like deadlifts) incorporate more muscle fibers leading to more muscle growth, strength and endurance than isolation exercises. I personally don't think it matters that much unless you're exercise requires lift to failure. My lifts are typically 70% of my max weight and at a moderate rep range so I don't usually go to failure.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You work the big muscles first simply because it gets you warmed up for the rest. Generally not a big deal if you've already done a small cardio warmup before lifting. Unlikely to cause any harm -- changing workout order due to equipment availability is kind of a fact of gym life...
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts involve multiple muscle groups, so fatiguing any of those muscles during isolation exercise will compromise output. They also tend to be the most skill-based, so its good to do them with your energy topped off since fatigue can compromise form.

Other than the form thing, its not harmful, especially if you have to switch things up just to get your workout done. Definitely the lesser evil.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Even though I use weight machines as long as I doo the entire circut I can not always do them in order but I do do them all every time I try to pretty much do them the way the gym as them set up. I pretty much keep moving to my left around the circuit
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Not harmful.... just maybe harder when you get to your big lifts. I've done the "New rules of Lifting" and "New Rules of Lifting for Women". Both were good. I actually liked the first one the best because it was a year program and I didn't have to decide what I would have to do next for a long time. The women's book was good though because it gave you some recipes. Both are a great resource to have in your fitness library.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Compound lifts involve multiple muscle groups, so fatiguing any of those muscles during isolation exercise will compromise output. They also tend to be the most skill-based, so its good to do them with your energy topped off since fatigue can compromise form.

Other than the form thing, its not harmful, especially if you have to switch things up just to get your workout done. Definitely the lesser evil.

This. I will tend to work in rather than switch my order but nothing inherently bad about it.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I bench or squat first depending on the day, as it tends to be downhill from there. I'd say that I deadlift first, but I sometimes squat and deadlift on the same day. In that case, I'd rather squat first.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There are many differing opinions on this. Pre-fatiguing with isolation work is a thing but then you've got to pay more attention to technique on the major lifts to avoid injury. I'd say most people do the bigger, heavier lifts first when they're fresh. I know I do.

At the end of the day as long as you're performing the lifts correctly and safely I doubt it matters much.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes. Get up, put on shoes, go lift *kittens up. In that order.

****Ahahaha it makes me laugh when mfp doesn't let me swear.