Running gadgets

Options
sooh2011
sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
Hi,
Having completed the C25K yesterday :glasses: , I am considering getting myself a GPS watch so that I can improve my times and distances.

I like the look of the Garmin Forerunner 110 unisex watch. Any views on this watch?

However, as I'm also about 4 ish lbs from my goal, I'm also tempted to get a HRM to keep check of my calories burned. The Amazon reviews of the HRM strap that you can use with the Garmin Forerunner aren't great (specifically for women).

Is there anything better I could be using that would do both jobs?

I am struggling a little with the thought of having to pay £119 for the Forerunner, so that's about my budget.

Thanks.

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Have a look at the Polar FT4 or FT7, not sure if they have GPS though!!
  • Sharonbed4d
    Sharonbed4d Posts: 163
    Options
    I have a Garmin with HRM and love it. Yes, GPS with HRM is pricey but well worth the investment if you run or cycle. The Garmin 305 is a model that offers both and has some good deals online.
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The Timex Ironman Global Trainer with Bodylink System does everything but cook dinner :smile:
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have the Forerunner 205 and would like to upgrade to the 310 w/HRM. Dont get the 110. Got too many friends that has it and they complain about losing signal by tall buildings and constant battery drain. Ive had mine for 3 yrs and never had any problems.
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    I have the Garmin 305 as well and absolutely love it. I don't use the HR monitor though, so I can't speak for that, but the freedom that training gives is awesome. No more of the same laps/loops, I can adjust my run anywhere and know my pace/distance/total time all at once.
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We use the Polar FT7 for a HRM (cheapest on Amazon... in the low $80s) and track distance, speed, ect with an android app on the phone (jog tracker). Good luck!
  • sooh2011
    Options
    Ooh, yes the Garmin 305 does look just the job. The first review on Amazon says,

"OK, first looks - you are thinking to yourself "But what if someone tries to land a helicopter on it's enormous surface while I am out running?!"

LOL!!! It does look extremely large - do you (women?) find it ok?
  • sooh2011
    Options
    We use the Polar FT7 for a HRM (cheapest on Amazon... in the low $80s) and track distance, speed, ect with an android app on the phone (jog tracker). Good luck!

I only have a basic phone without those kind of capabilities - I've been using an ipod touch for my C25K app, but I can't 'do' GPS with it.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Iphone our android phone with a bluetooth heart rate strap will do both and more. have a look at run keeper or sport tracker.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I got a thrifty Polar HRM from Ebay. I don't know what one, but it honestly changed my life. Since then, I've genuinely seen weight loss as in versus out calories has become much more accurate. Life changingness came at a mere £30!!! xx