Back Pain Sufferers

Options
I have posted a couple of topics about an injury I have substained in my back. I have searched the internet for blogs where I could discuss what I am going through with others in the same situtation. I haven't had much luck. I have to say that while I am dealing with the pain much better now I am becoming more and more paranoid about the people around me especailly at work. I am hoping that someone here might be able to give me a little guidance to a blog. I am spending entirely too much time on a pity party for myself. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Not really sure if this was the correct place to put this but it seemed logical.

Replies

• ehorner1976
    Options
    I have posted a couple of topics about an injury I have substained in my back. I have searched the internet for blogs where I could discuss what I am going through with others in the same situtation. I haven't had much luck. I have to say that while I am dealing with the pain much better now I am becoming more and more paranoid about the people around me especailly at work. I am hoping that someone here might be able to give me a little guidance to a blog. I am spending entirely too much time on a pity party for myself. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Not really sure if this was the correct place to put this but it seemed logical.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I know of someone on here that's dealing with neck/back/shoulder pain right now. I'll message her & give her the link to this thread. :flowerforyou: She might be able to help you out!

I have lower back pain daily, but nothing that I can't live with. I have scoliosis & it screws with my nerves in my left leg as well. No where near what you are going through. What exactly are you paranoid about at work?

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • ehorner1976
    Options
    I guess I am paranoid because I was originally supposed to be off work for 8 weeks. I have been on pain meds and muscle relaxers. I went back to work after a little more than 2 weeks after begging my orthopedic Dr. well after 6 weeks I ended up in the hospital with my back locked up. This all started with finding out I had broken my tailbone in 2 and fractured it in two other place and fractured the vertebre above that. My doctor then sent me for a MRI and that is when the discover I had a slipped disk and a herniated disk. I can't broadcast my whole life to everyone I work with, but I was out of sick time and was beginning to worry about finance (not exactly what you want to share with co-workers) When I was at work I am sure it appeared to everyone that I wasn't hurt that bad. They don't know that when I get home I have to alternate heat and ice on back to help relieve the pain. So after being at work for a week I am back off again.
  • elisejerry
    Options
    I know what you are going through. I am a nurse and one morning I woke up and could not walk. I had 1 ruptured disc, and 2 herniated disc. I could not feel my left leg. Well I had to have my back fixed. They replaced the ruptured disc, shaved the 2 herniated disc, and metal from L1 thur L5. I'm am slowly recovering. I don't think I would do it again, but I never know. I was hurting so bad I could not function. BTW way are you paranoid at work?
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    I guess I am paranoid because I was originally supposed to be off work for 8 weeks. I have been on pain meds and muscle relaxers. I went back to work after a little more than 2 weeks after begging my orthopedic Dr. well after 6 weeks I ended up in the hospital with my back locked up. This all started with finding out I had broken my tailbone in 2 and fractured it in two other place and fractured the vertebre above that. My doctor then sent me for a MRI and that is when the discover I had a slipped disk and a herniated disk. I can't broadcast my whole life to everyone I work with, but I was out of sick time and was beginning to worry about finance (not exactly what you want to share with co-workers) When I was at work I am sure it appeared to everyone that I wasn't hurt that bad. They don't know that when I get home I have to alternate heat and ice on back to help relieve the pain. So after being at work for a week I am back off again.

back pain is hard. I have an L4L5 injury to my disk and it flares up so bad that it gets hard to walk. tryy not to worry about what other people think. you have to heal before you can move from there. when you are really better then you can worry about everything else.
    I have good days and bad days and it's been rough and my injury is not as substatial as yours is.It has been 3 years. I urge you to see a physiatrist to treat you. if they recomend PT go and do everything they tell you. after your well, yoga helps my back pain tremendously. It may help you
  • dragonfly81
    dragonfly81 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to read my very first blog entry. Back pain is scary. I ended up on my back and on a catheter last year because of two ruptured discs and a dislocated hip. I now have a very real, and very violent fear of pain. And I got those looks from my boss as well. I was out of work for a month and a half.

I still have problems with my back, but it's manageable at this point. I am starting water aerobics next week in order to help get the exercise I need, and also to improve my mobility. Don't give up. It will get better. :flowerforyou:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I have 2 slipped discs, L4 and L5, and 2 lesions very near the spinal cord. I average 3 flare ups a year, where I can't walk ata ll. That's why I got stuck on steroids and ballooned up to where I am now. I worry about work all the time, especially now with layoffs happening everywhere.
    Since I started working out a few weeks ago, most of the numbness is gone from my bad leg and arm. I think that getting in shape will help.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Hi EB. I hope you are feeling a bit better. I had an auto ax and inj my spine in the neck area. I have had epidural steroid injections and sx is a possiblility in the future.
    When you dr told you to be off work for 6-8 weeks it was for a very good reason. You not only inj a disc, but fractured the bones holding those discs in place. Your inj is SEVERE.

Please ask your Ortho for a form to give to your boss. All drs have them and they will put you on light duty. The pain you feel is REAL... do not feel embarrased or paranoid.

I do know what you mean. I am in the insurance business and have dealt with many 'fakers' You can imagine what I thought about the response from MY coworkers!! I was out of work for 2 months in extreme pain. When I returned I did so too early, and spent another 2 months staring at the computer in tears.

How did you injure yourself, and how long ago did it occur? Physical Therapy was a life saver for me. When the Ortho says it is time, do not resist. It will cause some pain, but in the weeks to follow you will gain so much strength and confidence it will help you tremendously.

The best advice I can give you is Be confident in the people administering your care. When you go to PT, if you dont feel confident in the LPT, then ask to be sent to another facility. It took 3x before I found a very good PTherapist and it changed my life.

I truly hope you feel better. Please feel free to PM with and I will help in any way I can.

:flowerforyou: J
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options

Gotcha. My dad suffered with a similar issue years ago when I was little. He had surgery to remove a herniated disc & went back to work waaaay too soon. Dad had a very labor intensive job, though & was working a jack hammer the week he went back. He's still paying for that today. I guess what I'm saying is do NOT over-do it! Your back is one of your most valuable pieces of equipment. Listen to your dr. & do what you can to improve. Hang in there!