2016 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• caztj
    caztj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!! I am looking for a mentor, not just any mentor but a mentor who can help me assess my strengths and weaknesses on not only on my fitness goals but diet goals. You see at my age (40s) I have dieted and tried every fitness regime known to man. Some I succeeded at, others well...

I am being very honest when I say that I need someone to help me find the power to change. I have many life long goals that I have not achieved due to family commitments, location difficulties or due to being unmotivated and downright lazy! On the other hand, some I have achieved through sheer determination. But one, one that has been my aching goal to this day, is to get healthy and fit. Hollistically healthy is my aim and goal.

My body is slowly getting harder to make do what I want it to do (aging back health, obestiy does not help). My health is becoming probmatic and my motivation is slowly decreasing due to not really understanding what I need to do and how. Some days it feel like this whole getting healthy is information overload. I have finally had to bow my head and admit that I am unable to do this alone. I am not sure how the mentoring works here in MFP but If I sound like someone you could mentor, that is great! Please message me. I am looking for someone long term and I am fine with any age, gender etc, please just be aware that I am female and in my 40s. Thanks for reading!
  • tostuermann
    tostuermann Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'd love to mentor any newcomers! Two years ago I was about 50-60 lbs heavier, it seemed like the pregnancy weight just got compounded with each one of my girls. I recently became a Beachbody Coach and am so excited to be able to help others reach their health, wellness and fitness goals. I'm not a body builder and I will always have my own personal goals that I want to reach, but I'm a big fan of putting your money where your mouth is, so I'll be working out and eating right each day right along with you!
  • MzOptimistic
    MzOptimistic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm in dire need of a mentor. I have 20lbs to lose and would like to work on toning up, eating cleaner and exercising. Help lbvs
  • Angel_Eyes1975
    Angel_Eyes1975 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would love a mentor! My backstory is in my About Me. If you feel like we could be a good match please message me

Hey are you still looking for a person to mentor?
  • tklincoln
    tklincoln Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We all have that moment, you know, the one where you realize ... Holy cow....I have let myself go and I really need to make changes and now!!!!!... I am a noob looking for a mentor... A little about me.. I was never overweight in school.... But later in life, college and a family added 50lbs.. I have 2 kids, ages 11 and 9 and have to make the changes now in order to be around for my family longer... I need to loose between 50-60 lbs ... I am not looking for some quick fix... I need to make real, lifelong changes. I am looking for a mentor who can inspire and motivate me... I have a gym in the basement and would like to start weight lifting as well as cardio, but don't know where and how to start... If you can be a mentor .... Send me a message.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I have my mentees for now. With that said, I will consider adding another if I believe the person has what it takes to succeed.
  • texasviking7
    texasviking7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a mentor. I am 40 and need to change my diet lifestyle. I am a father of 4 boys and we are fostering 2 girls right now. Just need encouragement and prodding.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to volunteer and start with only 1 or 2 people.

I found myself in a position around 2009 of being around 260 pounds because my job was stressful and I was working incredibly long hours. Sitting at a desk 18 hours a day and eating and drinking with clients 3-4 days a week will pack on the pounds. When I decided to do something about it, I discovered to my chagrin that even the very well educated and very fit people I knew were full of bioscience and spouted as much misinformation as real evidenced-based information. I discovered the same about most personal trainers. I figured that if that crowd was so susceptible to pseudoscience then I needed to find an alternative way to cut through it all. I discovered MFP, and through it Alan Aragon, Eric Helms, Brad Schoenfeld, Lyle McDonald, and Layne Norton. Good information is out there, and it's often free. You just have weed through all the crap.

I live in Florida and lift 4 days a week and am currently cutting. I also run but until recently I had dropped it. I haven't enjoyed the resulting decrease in energy so I'm back at it. I make no claims at being an "expert." I'm a reasonably well-educated desk jockey who is, and has been for some time, focused on this part of my life. My wife lifts and runs with me. We watch our macros and calories. We still eat ice cream and drink whiskey and beer in moderation. Moderation is key. That means measuring intake using a scale. It also means cutting down on the little things that add up. We eat salads, lean meats, fruit, vegetables, dairy, and limited grains and starches so they fit into our diets. We do not do cleanses, gluten-free, Paleo, or any other fad diets. Our kids are vaccinated. We don't adhere to woo.

I'd primarily be looking for other well educated and professional men who are a bit out of their element here. I'm married and a father of two. Women may also be fine as long as the other point is satisfied and the ground rules are understood. My concern there is progress pics, etc. I want someone thoughtful, serious, and willing to put in the work. I work so I will not always respond quickly, but I will respond.
  • SkinnyMinnyJP
    SkinnyMinnyJP Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Would love a mentor but the thought of sending a private message to someone is intimidating to me, (I would never make it on dating sites) so I am throwing my request out to the masses.
    First and foremost I need to lose 100 pounds. It kills me to write that because it shows just how far I have let myself go. I need help climbing out of this pit of self-destructions.
    I am 50, but does my age really matter or is the fact I want to lose weight and get healthier more important?
    Yes like most women my age I have children they are grown and out of the house. No I don’t have grandchildren.
    I did the C25K program awhile back and was doing 5K on a regular basis, developed plantar fasciitis that sidelined me and I haven’t been able to get back on track consistently. I would really like to get back on track with my exercise; I have fantasies of finishing a half marathon.
    I see people around me losing weight and I think “why can’t I do that”, you would think by my age I would know how to do this.
    My job is sedentary, I am behind a computer ALL DAY. I have a Fitbit you would think that would motivate me – it did, now, not so much, and I don’t like that it doesn’t. I would have little contests with myself to see if I could beat my previous day steps and move up the ranking on my friends list. I want that back!
    My eating habits, well let’s just say they obviously are not the best or I wouldn’t have 100 pounds to lose 
    Are you willing to help this lost soul get back on track?
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Would love a mentor but the thought of sending a private message to someone is intimidating to me, (I would never make it on dating sites) so I am throwing my request out to the masses.
    First and foremost I need to lose 100 pounds. It kills me to write that because it shows just how far I have let myself go. I need help climbing out of this pit of self-destructions.
    I am 50, but does my age really matter or is the fact I want to lose weight and get healthier more important?
    Yes like most women my age I have children they are grown and out of the house. No I don’t have grandchildren.
    I did the C25K program awhile back and was doing 5K on a regular basis, developed plantar fasciitis that sidelined me and I haven’t been able to get back on track consistently. I would really like to get back on track with my exercise; I have fantasies of finishing a half marathon.
    I see people around me losing weight and I think “why can’t I do that”, you would think by my age I would know how to do this.
    My job is sedentary, I am behind a computer ALL DAY. I have a Fitbit you would think that would motivate me – it did, now, not so much, and I don’t like that it doesn’t. I would have little contests with myself to see if I could beat my previous day steps and move up the ranking on my friends list. I want that back!
    My eating habits, well let’s just say they obviously are not the best or I wouldn’t have 100 pounds to lose 
    Are you willing to help this lost soul get back on track?

message sent.

• JD0710
    JD0710 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am starting on my journey just today and would love a mentor to help keep me on track and ping a few words of wisdom over. I'll check out the list later but a little about me:

My weight has been so up and down for the last few years and I've come back to this app and a determination to change.
    I live in the middle of the U.K and am 27 years young. I work in a nursery and am on my feet with a bunch of two year olds for 9.5 hours a day. It's fun hard work. I enjoy swimming and try to get to the pool at least three times a week. I'd like to put some weight training/other cv training (I own a gym bike and a pair of trainers) so someone with experience of weights or body exercises would be a bonus. Aside from all this I love my sport (massive Liverpool FC fan) and I like to read.

If anyone sees this and would like to mentor me. I'd be delighted.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would be willing to mentor someone. A little about me. I'm 32, and have come a long way since I was 300 pounds. I've learned a lot about myself and what I'm capable of doing. I run. I lift weights. I like to inspire people. Am I to where I want to be? No. I won't stop though and I won't give up! I like seeing people achieve their goals and they're HAPPY with who they are as a person!!

Other than that, I love food and enjoy cooking, playing with my dog, and spending time at the pool in the summer.
  • HeathlyMOM76
    HeathlyMOM76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    looking to start my weight lose. starting weight 228lbs goal weight 140lbs 5'4 40 years old. Looking for help on where and how to start. I do walk on my treadmill 30 mins a day. I have 2 children. My kids would like to go to the beach and amusement parks which I am scared that I cant enjoy the rids with them or have the energy to walk on the beach with them. I would also like to start hiking with my kids too. Looking to be paired with someone who is willing to teach me.
  • lmunn
    lmunn Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm Lisa, 36 YO from Canada, married, mom to 2. At my heaviest back in September, I was 220 lbs and I found out that my liver enzymes were elevated so I lost about 18ish pounds. Went back to the doctor and my blood work came back great, so of course I quit and my weight crept back up.

I've been a yo-yo dieter probably since I was in my early 20's, I've tried all the "fad" diets, always looking for a quick fix. Remarkably, they don't work ;)

I hit rock bottom on March 29th (215.9) and made the decision to change my eating habits. I have completely cut out pop, take-out crap, chips, etc. I'm a binge eater and get incredible cravings. I'm happy to say that since March 29th I am down to 202 but every day is a struggle.

I HATE sweating but I'm getting some exercise in daily - I wear a FitBit Flex so I aim for my 10,000 steps/day. I go for a 30 minute walk on my lunch break and then I usually do a walking video in the evenings after my children have gone to bed. I have major issues with my knees so lunges and squats are very difficult for me and I've been advised by my doctor to avoid them if I would like to avoid surgery (I would!!). I signed up to walk a 5K on June 5th, which has been a goal of mine for years. Eventually I would like to run a 5K if my knees will handle it.

I have a major heart history in my family - my grandmother passed away of a major heart attack at 44, my uncle had a major at the age of 34. 5 of my aunts either have had pacemakers or valve replacements done.

I know that I HAVE to keep working at this so that I can live and watch my children grow up. I don't want a crappy liver, I don't want diabetes and I don't want to have a heart attack. I want to be a positive role model for my children.

I need to eat REAL food, no "weird" stuff because if I'm making it, it has to be for the whole family. I don't have time to be creating different meals after working a full day. We also like to have a treat meal once/week which is usually pizza or a burger from a local family restaurant.

I have no idea how many calories I should be eating, I just know that at 1200 (what MFP set me at) it was setting me up for disaster so I set it on my own to 1500.

Anyway, I'm looking for a mentor who can take all my crap into consideration :) I have always quit when things get hard but this time things are going to be different.

If you got through all this, thank you for reading.

Lisa

• madtownmitch
    madtownmitch Posts: 36 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This seems to be where everyone looking for a mentor is posting, so I'll join the ranks...

I'm a 51yo woman from Wisconsin, on a lifelong struggle with my weight and fitness. I always thought I'd have time to lose weight and get into better shape "later." Well, it's "later" and I'm no closer now than I was then...in fact, I'm heavier and in worse shape now than when I first started saying that to myself years ago.

I can't even say it's that I've made excuses over the years, it's more that I haven't really paid attention. I raised my daughter, graduated from college as a returning adult student, and devoted myself to work in order to grow my career. And I've achieved a lot of goals I set for myself - except where my health was concerned.

I'm great at planning, but often fail with the execution. I can spend hours scouring cookbooks and planning out a week of healthy meals, and a detailed grocery list. Then I go spend several hours and hundreds of dollars on healthy ingredients at the grocery store, and by then I'm so exhausted and "over it" that the healthy food goes to waste because I'm too tired to cook what I've brought home. I CAN cook, but it's a chore and I get no enjoyment out of it, so I find simplest is best for me (chicken breast, salad, yogurt, etc) if I'm going to stick with it.

I know from years of experience that I am most successful when I follow a structured plan, but that can also be my demise. If I spend time on the weekend preparing and portioning out my food, it makes it so much easier to "grab and go" during the week. But when life gets in the way of being able to spend that time preparing, all my best laid plans go astray.

I have a long commute (45 min each way) and work long hours, so exercise is also an area where I need help. I have a treadmill at home, and lots of workout DVDs and equipment, but making time for it has been a challenge. I've found it difficult to fall asleep early enough to make waking up early to exercise a possibility, and I'm often so tired when I get home that I'm lucky to make and eat dinner before I crash.

My daughter will be getting married next year, and that was a wake-up call for me. Of course I want to look and feel good on her special day, but I also want to LIVE long enough to be an active and involved grandmother some day, and to see my grandchildren grow up and have families of their own.

Most importantly, I want to have the energy and stamina to enjoy my own life. I've started to feel my age in the last couple of years, and my doctor has put me on prescriptions for pre-diabetes and high cholesterol. It's quite possible I'm fooling myself, but I just think I'm too young to be taking pills every day for conditions I wouldn't have if I were at a healthy weight and in better physical condition.

I have a lot of weight to lose (100+ lbs), but I prefer to make smaller goals along the way, maybe 20 lbs at a time, so it doesn't seem so overwhelming and out of reach to be successful during this journey. I played softball for many years and loved it, but old injuries have made some exercises challenging for me (my daughter calls me "Rice Krispies" when I walk up the stairs from my knees).

I would be grateful to have a mentor who can be sympathetic to the fact that I'm not going to be able to start out training for a marathon, but will also push me to do better each day than I did the day before; someone who has a good understanding of nutrition but can explain it in an easy-to-understand manner; and whose own experience of losing weight can help them understand mine. I WANT to learn, so it would also help to have someone who is open to lots of questions along the way.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm happy to help some newbies Navigate the treacherous waters of mfpland.

I got serious about weight loss in the fall of 2013 and was at my goal by January 2014. I was training for an adult figure skating competition and needed to be in shape as I would be performing things I hadn't done since my teens. I don't go to the gym, I love YouTube videos I can do in my living room. I become a "runner" when the weather is nice, figure skating is my go to for fitness. I am a stay at home mom in my early 40s and love being active. Hiking, skating, curling (I live in Canada what can I say I love ice). I love cooking and baking.

While I may not be your best mfper, I don't log always, I am happy to help and have fun. I keep my friend list on the smaller side so I can give lots of personal attention. I love posting wall comments usually to try to give or get a laugh. if you're interested in alternative to the gym workouts we'll get along well...heck if you're a gym goer we can hang as well. I'm an awesome cheerleader. :)
  • KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm in need of a mentor and motivator...

I'm Kat - 28 years old living in Singapore since this year. I'm 1,56m/1,57m tall (or short). I started with MFP end of march this year so I'm not completely new. My starting weight was 79,5kg (but I know I had around 80-81kg at the beginning of the year). I currently weigh 74,2kg and think I'm loosing too slow for my taste but I know where the faults are and that I'm the only one responsible so I'm not going to find some weird excuses for it.

For Fitness I started with Kickboxing Fitness twice a week and about 5 weeks ago.

Why do I need a mentor? Well I decided that I would like to take part in a Spartan Race Sprint this year in November. But honestly as a fitness beginner there is so much to do for it and I'm feeling overwhelmed from it and don't know on how to get started right.
    I got some good tips from users here of what I should be able to do for the race. I got an C25k app and I also signed up for the Spartan training plan (but really this one seems way to much for me as a beginner... ) but I can't seem to get it structured and started. And then it's also (and that's probably the biggest problem) that I find it really hard to motivate myself to do so much training from almost zero to 200%.

So anybody feel like wanting to help? Please??? :smiley:

Cheers,
    Kat
  • prodigywithapen
    prodigywithapen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm brand spanking new here and I like the idea of someone helping in this battle of the bulge!

Let me tell you about myself:

First off I have tried every diet under the sun, and they never worked because I've given up after a month when nothing happened. I thought that it was impossible to lose weight because of my PCOS. But, eleven months ago I had a stroke, but since then I've stopped smoking, stopped drinking energy drinks and unfortunately had to stop working as well. I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome as well.

I'm looking for someone who is understanding because I have PTSD, and anxiety, so I'll eat to stop a panic attack because that's what I do lol. If I could get some help in controlling my appetite so I can live a longer life, I'll listen to that person whole heartedly!
  • gmhodgkins
    gmhodgkins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back in the horse and would love a mentor. I'm a 46 year old woman with 30 pounds to lose. When I worked out regularly, I loved fusion type classes that combine cardio and strength training. I've tried running, but have not learned to love it. I tend to do workout DVDs at home, so would love support that I am missing by working out by myself. In terms of diet, I know what I'm supposed to do, but tend to lack the follow through. If anyone wants to take me on, either to mentor or just throw support to, I'd love it!
  • gwenelliott_
    gwenelliott_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Could definitely use a mentor in this process. Lost about 8lbs so far through gym and eating better for 3 months. I would like to push my self more and change up my routine. Just trying to be the best version of myself. (: Any help is appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.