Making no progress with weight training

Options
jswigart
jswigart Posts: 167 Member
I have a feeling that these questions are asked a lot but here goes.
I have successfully lost 95 pounds in the last 9 months. I have switched to maintenance mode in my diet.
I have this far done mostly cardio. About 60 min total in two 30 min sessions per day.
I am very lean and wish to begin building some muscle mass. I have started doing weight training every other day. I have been trying to add protein to my diet. I just don't see any results. In fact I have lost more weight instead of gaining muscle.
I have read that some people are genetically able to build muscle better than others. Am I just one of those unlucky ones?
Any suggestions?

Replies

• Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    No expert but if you want to put on muscle, you need to eat more calories if you find you are still losing at maintenance. A bit of a juggling act you'll have to play with to find the right amount. Google iifym!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss.
    Are you following a structured lifting routine or just lift how you see fit?
    I'd think about looking at your numbers again, if you are in maintenance you shouldn't still be loosing weight, regardless of cardio, weight training goals.
    There are a number of little things you can tinker with until you start seeing results, my advice would be adding 100kcal a day to your diary until weight loss stalls, you may find that you only need to do it once( weigh in - loss = add more cal) week later (weigh in -loss= add more cal)( gain= subtract)(maintain = you've found the sweet spot) continue the cycle until you are gaining lightly and noticing change in your body's muscle mass, if you are lean at the moment it should take you long to see real change.
    Highly recommend finding a structured programme that you enjoy and you will start making gains.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Congratz on the weight loss.

As for building muscle, you were vague about your food, ("trying to add protein").

Pick a protein standard, in grams, and eat that daily. After that's covered, your overall calories need to be in surplus too (say, 1.25 or 1.33 TDEE for example). Assuming a good lifting routine, you will grow.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    So......

How many days have passed since you began weight training?

How many calories are you eating?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    So......

How many days have passed since you began weight training?

How many calories are you eating?

Also, could you list what you're doing doing your strength workouts?
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Removed
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have been working with weights for about a month. Mostly working on upper body. I use cable weight system at home. Legs are pretty strong from cycling and squats.
    My BMR Is 1500. I shoot for around 2000 calories per day.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you're trying to become the next Arnold Schwarzenegger, then genetics might become a factor. But if you're only trying to get stronger, then genetics aren't important.

You stated you are new to strength training. You need to learn the movements, which simply takes time. Also find a good routine (like stronglifts.com or rippedbody.jp both of which are free). And you MUST to stick to it for a few months at least.

Progress first in volume, then in weight, then back to volume, then weight and so on.

Say you want to bench press for 5 sets of 5 reps each set (volume) with 45 lbs (weight, obviously). Maybe the first time you do sets of 5, 5, 4, 3, 3 reps. Next training day use the same weight 45 lbs and stay at 45 lbs until you can do 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 reps. Once you can do all 5 sets at 5 reps each, it's time to add 5 lbs to bench press next training day. Then do your best with 50 lbs and stay at that weight until you can do all 5x5 at that weight, and then add another 5 lbs, and so on.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    One, you aren't in maintenance if you're continuing to lose weight.
    Two, a month is hardly enough time to see any gains in muscle mass.

Re-evaluate your maintenance calories and add a small surplus like 200 cals. Take a picture now to keep for reference. Lift on a structured program for 12 weeks, take another set of pictures and evaluate.

One point. It takes time to figure out maintenance. The calculators out there are only a rough guide. It took me about 8 weeks of trial and error to find mine. That was weighing everything I put in my mouth and recording it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough, eat more.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    What progress are you looking for? Scale increase with more muscly look? Or increased strength? Or both?

I agree with other posters that you need to:

1) work with a program. Look up starting strength or strong lifts. Work your whole body, not just upper body. And, especially when starting out, I would say do mostly the big, compound lifts. As you progress, you can decide if you want to add in accessory lifts (like curls, for example).

2) Be more specific about your eating, and eat more. If your BMR is 1500, your TDEE is probably at least 2000. You need to eat more than TDEE to bulk (gain muscle). Eat around 1g protein per pound LBM (or probably .8 g protein per pound body weight). Make sure you're getting adequate fat and all the micronutrients, then fill the rest of the calories in with whatever you like.

Also, remember that it takes time to build muscle. Like, months and months. It's probably more frustrating, especially at first, than losing the weight, because you feel like you're doing all this work, and not seeing a huge change. Take before pictures and then progress pictures, because that's how you'll see the change. Just keep the consistency and discipline you learned while losing weight, channeling it into this new challenge! :smile:
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Try cutting cardio to 1-2 times per week, and follow a powerlifting routine on bodybuilding.com

Lift each muscle group once per week, so your muscles get the proper 4-7 day recovery. Shoot for about 100-200 calories over your maintenance level. Make adjustments from there by adding 100 calories per week until you are gaining 0.5-1 pound per week. An average beginning lifter can gain about 2-3 lbs of muscle per month the first year of lifting.

I do a push pull legs (PPL) routine and lift 3 days per week. This is a great muscle building routine.

Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This is pretty much it.
  • LittleOneLoveLife
    LittleOneLoveLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!
    Now welcome to the "fun side"

Firstly, your not eating enough, You need to start gaining if you want muscle (MFP can be set to gain) I'm on 2000 Cal a day, im 5ft and weigh 44kg and I'm struggling to reach my 0.5lb a week gain (hopefully minimal fat). My Husband on the other hand is 82kg trying to gain 0.5lb a week and is on 3500+Cal a day. I'm guessing that your closer to his stats than mine so you really need to look at how much or little your eating.

Secondly, its time to look at your Macros more than your calories. Try the ratio 40% Carbs, 30%Fat, 30% Protein. Again MFP breaks this all down for you. This is great for muscle with minimal fat gaining.

Thirdly, Supplements - Whey Protein, Casein Protein (before bed) & Creatine are good starters.

Fourthly, Eat the correct things at the correct times. Fuel your workouts and eat for recovery. Have small meals thought the day. I have 8 meals because I'm greedy! Drink lots of water.

Fith and finally, Lift heavy! You want 6 good reps with a weight you struggle with to build muscle with 1-2 minutes rest in-between sets. Never miss leg day, its over half of your body and this makes a big difference in how your other muscles develop. Eat back your calories from your cardio but you should also look at cutting down the amount of cardio you do.

I'm no expert, I just want to help! :smiley:
  • liams987
    liams987 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Clean bulk my friend!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

^^this
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    If you want to increase muscle mass you need to eat at a surplus, that's the first thing. The second thing is that results from strength training take time. Give it six months then decide whether or not you're seeing gains.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Maybe invest in a personal trainer if you can afford it- or a small group class- and get advice from an expert? I have heard that it may be helpful to leave more time between weight training workouts in order to give the body time to actually build the muscle. If you break down the muscle too frequently, you never get anywhere. But I am a complete novice and myself looking for direction in this area- so highly recommend consulting a professional.
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Say you want to bench press for 5 sets of 5 reps each set (volume) with 45 lbs (weight, obviously). Maybe the first time you do sets of 5, 5, 4, 3, 3 reps. Next training day use the same weight 45 lbs and stay at 45 lbs until you can do 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 reps. Once you can do all 5 sets at 5 reps each, it's time to add 5 lbs to bench press next training day. Then do your best with 50 lbs and stay at that weight until you can do all 5x5 at that weight, and then add another 5 lbs, and so on.

This is probably the best and simplest example/explantation of what a beginner with almost no clue to lifting/ weight training (me, me, me) should start out with! Thanks!