My first 2 weeks were great, but then I went out of town...

Options
It's been a rough couple of months for our family. My dear mother-in-law died, we sold our house (good) and had to move in 10 days (oy vey) then my favorite uncle died. I needed to get back in shape and lose 30-40lbs. and started MFP and amping my exercise by working with a trainer. Life was good after 2 weeks I had lost 6 pounds and lost some portions of inches in several areas of the body.

My husband and I have a very busy social life and I do allow myself a cocktail or glass of wine on the weekends. Still lost the 6 pounds.....

Well, We had to go to New York for a memorial service for my uncle, and I was asked to give one of the Eulogies. What an honor, but an emotional gut wrenching experience!!! We spent 3 days with family (we are from New York) and went from bar-b-q to bar-b-q. I was having a hard time thinking about what I was eating and drinking. I hadn't seen some out of town family for years and we were celebrating my uncle's life. I couldn't log in to MFP because we got back to the hotel late each night.

I don't feel ashamed for "falling off the wagon, but am afraid that I have taken many steps backward. I am afraid to be weighed and measured tomorrow. I have several trips out of town in the next month......beach with girlfriends and a visit to other family. I guess I just need some words of wisdom for others that have been in my shoes......

I really want to be successful, but I am a realist and know that life happens.....how do we compensate for that????? Any feedback would be appreciated!! BTW, I did workout at the hotel gym the one day that there was time. Maybe there is hope for me??

Replies

• corieueber
    corieueber Posts: 74
    Options
    don't beat yourself up to much - l think the important thing is to get back on track, think of it as just a little detour not a complete derailment on this journey to a fitter healthier you, and their will be detours that is just what life throws at us but the important thing is to deal with it at the time and enjoy (ie wedding) or not (funeral) and after you get back home get back on track
  • Nickel1969
    Nickel1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is always hope... Don't be too hard on yourself... Never feel ashamed of yourself.. you are only setting yourself up for failure... just chop it up to a lesson learned and move on...

PS... Sorry for your loss...
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your losses. One of the best gifts of MFPs is the sharing of life's ups and downs and keeping each other heading toward health through it all. I have not conquered the challenge of keeping on track when life is spinning around you. However, I will share a tip of keeping up with your food diary even if you have to write it down and enter it at a time when you do have access to the internet. I learned this lesson the hard way. I added to my overall stressful time by "unplugging" from MFP (gained weight, too).
  • Jrh2os
    Jrh2os Posts: 28
    Options
    I think you've done incredibly well. You've continued to log and continued to make an effort despite usually stressful times. You worked out when you could. Give yourself a huge pat on the back for that. This whole experience is a journey, not a destination and it's a huge learning experience. We learn how to do things by practicing them and we almost never get it perfect the first time. You are just getting a lot more practice at dealing with other things faster than some of the rest of us.

There were probably specific healthy choices that you made even during the stressful times (like working out) that you wouldn't have even thought about before. That's great!

My daughter's wedding was last week and with all of the guests and fun and festivities (and wedding cake), I gained almost a pound. WIth the lack of sleep and the stress, I've ended up with a head cold and I'm struggling a bit this week, but I'm not coping by snacking. I don't feel like working out hard, but I'm trying to get my walking in. I'm calling that a victory.

I'm often reminded of a conversation I had with my mom many years ago when I was considering graduate school after having 2 kids. I said, "But I'll be over 30 when I'm finished." Her comment was, "How old will you be if you don't go to grad school?" It doesn't really matter whether you reach your goal weight in 3 months or 6 months or 2 years as long as you are working on it and making (generally) forward progress. It's important to live life too and you don't want to put your life on hold while you do that.
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback and positive comments. I did make some healthy choices this weekend, such as not eating pasta salad at 2 gatherings and sharing a main course with my husband and adding a garden salad with the dressing on the side when we went out to eat:-) The brownie (just one) and the peanut m&m's were not such good choices, but they sure tasted great. I played tennis today and have had a great food day so I'm back on track.