Cheat Day: Keto

Options
I allowed myself a cheat day ( not meal) For one it was mothers day and didnt want to inconvience dinner plans and secondly i had worked my butt a month and a half losing almost 30 pounds. Ofcourse i got on the scale this morning and was about 7 pounds heavier ( ill check again later) and was wondering how long would it take me to get back into keto and advice for cheat days or meals?

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Some of that will be water weight, but cheat days can set you back substantially. Getting back into ketosis will take a week or 2. If you've dropped 30 lbs in 6 weeks, you're under-eating by a lot. Yes, you're going to lose weight, but you're setting yourself up for massive weight regain (as you've seen from 1 day of cheating). A slower and more sustainable method to weight loss is far more effective for long term success.

Is there a particular reason you're doing keto? Tracking calories and macros combined with flexible dieting is a vastly superior method of dieting for the vast majority of people. Eat the foods you like so you hit your calorie, macro, and fiber goals. It works great, and I don't feel the need to cheat. If I really want something, then I work it into my day and I'm still on point.
  • kamanihudson287
    kamanihudson287 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The main reason i decided to do keto was to get rid of stubborn fat, i have realized that on some days i am undereating but most of my meals consists of lots of meats,eggs mostly protein.So i am satisfied which is surprising figuring that i am an emotional eater so i eat when im bored, sad, nervous. etc which has stopped.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The main reason i decided to do keto was to get rid of stubborn fat, i have realized that on some days i am undereating but most of my meals consists of lots of meats,eggs mostly protein.So i am satisfied which is surprising figuring that i am an emotional eater so i eat when im bored, sad, nervous. etc which has stopped.

Make sure you do not under eat because you hypothalamus will not reset when you start eating normal again. What will happen is you will feel ravenous and eat because your body thinks it needs to gain weight. You will fight it mentally but I can guarantee you your body will win.

30 pounds is a great start and should be cherished but the reason why you are looking for a "cheat" day in the first day is because you need those calories...

With that said, don't give up... Motor through. Avoid looking at the scale while you get your situation right

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do not under eat because you hypothalamus will not reset when you start eating normal again. What will happen is you will feel ravenous and eat because your body thinks it needs to gain weight. You will fight it mentally but I can guarantee you your body will win.

No

I lost 30 lbs on Keto, then intentionally ate normal for a week, put on 8-10 lbs, went back to keto and lost the extra within 2 weeks, probably just water anyway. I periodically go off for family events, never feel ravenous. The "cheat" just delays my weight loss for a day of two. There are a few foods I could pig out on, I just don't leave them within arms reach.

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

I lost 100lbs doing a ketogenic doet. Gained half back before changing my habits. I lost it very fast, incredibly so actually. Realize that your body is totally depleted of glycogen when in ketosis, and glycogen holds onto equal parts of water (I believe that's accurate) so when you replenish glycogen you also replenish water storage! Give your body a week to work that out and get back into ketosis, you'll see any true fat gain after a week or so. That's enough time for the water to work it's way out.

I remember reading the more times you come in and out of keto the less efficiently the process works but Idk if that's really true. You are likely to gain back when you stop, but if you get into calorie counting you'll still be able to lose like any other human.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm with Bob314. My approach and weight loss is like his, too. :)

OP, don't be down at all. If you are diligent and have a bit of self control like us. Your so call "set back" will be ...just 2 days or 3 the most!

For mother day I ate like there was no tomorrow. I went out with friends and ordered the largest meal option. Then, joined my family and ate more from 2 to 7p, buffet style. I honestly felt a bit physically sick from that much food at the end of the day. You know, your eyes and appetite always exceed your body's capacity so by the time I was done, it was already ..too much. :)

The scale showed I gained 4.4 lbs, especially coming from the lightest weight point.

But I love it all.

It's been over 20 hrs since the last meal and all I've had was a coffee and a banana; and I had put in 1hr15 minutes of intensive workout and a 10K step walk. That's how much energy I collected.
  • julescba04
    julescba04 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm with Bob314. My approach and weight loss is like his, too. :)

OP, don't be down at all. If you are diligent and have a bit of self control like us. Your so call "set back" will be ...just 2 days or 3 the most!

For mother day I ate like there was no tomorrow. I went out with friends and ordered the largest meal option. Then, joined my family and ate more from 2 to 7p, buffet style. I honestly felt a bit physically sick from that much food at the end of the day. You know, your eyes and appetite always exceed your body's capacity so by the time I was done, it was already ..too much. :)

The scale showed I gained 4.4 lbs, especially coming from the lightest weight point.

But I love it all.

It's been over 20 hrs since the last meal and all I've had was a coffee and a banana; and I had put in 1hr15 minutes of intensive workout and a 10K step walk. That's how much energy I collected.

For Mother's Day I had meat and lettuce, and huge dessert. Much to my surprise I still lost weight... Yayyyy
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Eating less calories than you burn gets rid of stubborn fat.

Keto doesn't guarantee that you'll eat at a calorie deficit.

You're already on MFP so I assume you're counting calories. I don't understand the need to complicate things with keto, especially if you're needing cheat days.