HELP Should I BULK or CUT

Options

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Neither, if i were you I would be on a moderate deficit in alongside a balanced cardio and weight training regime. I see no reason why you would need to bulk or cut at your current bf %.
  • liams987
    liams987 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you have just started weight training id recommend doing a clean bulk, so that your body will slowly build lean muscle overtime rather than gaining body fat.
  • joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Neither, if i were you I would be on a moderate deficit in alongside a balanced cardio and weight training regime. I see no reason why you would need to bulk or cut at your current bf %.

Out of interest why would you say that he doesnt need to cut and yet recommend a slight deficit. Not need to cut implies bulk but he cant bulk in a deficit. Just curious.

OP - My opinion differs. I personally think your BF% is too high to bulk. Cut down to between 10-12% first. Then lean bulk. this way you can bulk for a prolonged period before reaching a BF% where you need to begin a cut.

Your BF% shouldn't take too long to reduce. Calculate your TDEE and then work out your daily calories based on a 25% deficit. Eat 1-1.2g of protein per lb of body weight and 0.2g of Fat per lb. Get the rest of your calories from carbs.

Do you currently lift? What program if any are you doing?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

what you've described IS a cut...
  • liams987
    Options

Out of interest why would you say that he doesnt need to cut and yet recommend a slight deficit. Not need to cut implies bulk but he cant bulk in a deficit. Just curious.

OP - My opinion differs. I personally think your BF% is too high to bulk. Cut down to between 10-12% first. Then lean bulk. this way you can bulk for a prolonged period before reaching a BF% where you need to begin a cut.

Your BF% shouldn't take too long to reduce. Calculate your TDEE and then work out your daily calories based on a 25% deficit. Eat 1-1.2g of protein per lb of body weight and 0.2g of Fat per lb. Get the rest of your calories from carbs.

Beginners have the ability to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time if they work hard enough. Noob gains are real and begginers should take advantage of it. Eating a high protein consumption and doing a clean bulk will enable you to build muscle and slowly lost body fat overtime. Within your first year of training hard and eating well you can gain up to 25 pounds or 11kg of lean body mass. Take advantage!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    OP, you are 18 years old. The next couple of years are your golden years for muscle growth: Do not squander them . Bulk
  • liams987
    Options
    OP, you are 18 years old. The next couple of years are your golden years for muscle growth: Do not squander them . Bulk

So true! Im 19 and have been trying to bulk for the past 2.5 years. Manage to gain 17kg with minimal fat gain (maybe 1 or 2 %) would definitely recommend bulking til at least 21 or 22
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options

In terms of weight loss and bulk/cut cycles, it will be far more productive for him to be progressive in his training on a moderate deficit than a more traditional cut of far fewer calories with the aim of showing definition. He wants to be eating enough to make moderate newbie gains and get a good foundation to go into cutting and bulking.
    Agreed anytime you describe eating at a deficit you are basically saying "cut calories" that doesn't mean they are actually ready for a typical cut. If he was to cut traditionally like yourself or I, what would he have to show? When I cut its for definition, as I'm sure you are similar. What I suggested was working on his physique on a slight deficit, that's not how many describe a cut.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    OP shouldn't be thinking about bulking or cutting for the first 12 weeks IMO

Just lift, keep a food diary, count your calories.

When you've settled into a routine and your calories are consistent, decide whether a small cut is needed.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    ... and concentrate oh pulling movements to fix that posture.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    liams987 wrote: »

Beginners have the ability to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time if they work hard enough. Noob gains are real and begginers should take advantage of it. Eating a high protein consumption and doing a clean bulk will enable you to build muscle and slowly lost body fat overtime. Within your first year of training hard and eating well you can gain up to 25 pounds or 11kg of lean body mass. Take advantage!

While they do have the ability to do both simultaneously, it's not at the same rate. The muscle growth is much slower and this isn't really done in a surplus state. Being young, I would agree that his is more primed to gain muscle, but his body fat looks a bit high. I would almost suggest cutting for a few months and then going to a bulk.

BTW, out of curiousity, how did you measure muscle gains??
  • psuLemon
    Options

In terms of weight loss and bulk/cut cycles, it will be far more productive for him to be progressive in his training on a moderate deficit than a more traditional cut of far fewer calories with the aim of showing definition. He wants to be eating enough to make moderate newbie gains and get a good foundation to go into cutting and bulking.
    Agreed anytime you describe eating at a deficit you are basically saying "cut calories" that doesn't mean they are actually ready for a typical cut. If he was to cut traditionally like yourself or I, what would he have to show? When I cut its for definition, as I'm sure you are similar. What I suggested was working on his physique on a slight deficit, that's not how many describe a cut.

Regardless, it's still cutting. Most of us focusing on progressive lifting, while having a moderate deficit and concentrating on macros.
  • liams987
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    liams987 wrote: »

While they do have the ability to do both simultaneously, it's not at the same rate. The muscle growth is much slower and this isn't really done in a surplus state. Being young, I would agree that his is more primed to gain muscle, but his body fat looks a bit high. I would almost suggest cutting for a few months and then going to a bulk.

BTW, out of curiousity, how did you measure muscle gains??

I used a starting weight and overtime i took pictures so i could measure in the future. Later on i got a fat cailper test and it never really changed i stayed at around 10 - 11% for over a year whilst gaining weight. Therefor lean muscle mass.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options

Regardless, it's still cutting. Most of us focusing on progressive lifting, while having a moderate deficit and concentrating on macros.

You say that then in theory anyone trying to loose a few pounds on here is "cutting", you ask the user are you trying to loose weight or a you cutting, I'm sure the majority would say they are loosing weight. I prefer the usage as part of fitness regime/cycle, you bulk to gain muscle and cut strip fat gained during that period, he should be looking to build a foundation for this by building muscle something as you say yourself is a very slow process in a deficit. If I were him I'd be looking at eating 100kcal below maintenance taking advantage of any newbie gains, then like others suggest re-evaluate in 12 weeks maybe less depending on his progress with a possible bulk or re-comp. I think we are agreeing in principle but differ on the definition.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat at or around maintenance and lift heavy. That's my recommendation. At your age you should see plenty of profit.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You say that then in theory anyone trying to loose a few pounds on here is "cutting", you ask the user are you trying to loose weight or a you cutting, I'm sure the majority would say they are loosing weight. I prefer the usage as part of fitness regime/cycle, you bulk to gain muscle and cut strip fat gained during that period, he should be looking to build a foundation for this by building muscle something as you say yourself is a very slow process in a deficit. If I were him I'd be looking at eating 100kcal below maintenance taking advantage of any newbie gains, then like others suggest re-evaluate in 12 weeks maybe less depending on his progress with a possible bulk or re-comp. I think we are agreeing in principle but differ on the definition.

Principle is the same. You could even be at 10% less than TDEE and still focus on slight muscle gains. Progressive lifting + adequate protein levels (1.5-2.2kg / body weight), can yield some good results.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Start a good program, work on form and lifting heavy while recomping.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Eat at or around maintenance and lift heavy. That's my recommendation. At your age you should see plenty of profit.

Agree!
  • jay_j11
    jay_j11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't bulk or gain. You can do both. You can gain muscle while burning fat with the right diet and workout plans. Eat clean foods, drop the crap. Stick to meals consisted of good protein like grilled chicken, veges, and carbs like rice sweet potatoes etc. Create a good workout plan that involves great strength training workouts to build muscle mass and also cardiovascular workouts to burn fat. Since you're a beginner you can start small, stick to the basic workouts benching dead lifts squats etc. This will really help with gaining. For cardio one great tip is to use a jump rope it's a great tool used to burn fat and condition your body. One last tip. Try to keep your workouts to about an hour. Any longer you're probably gonna end up doing more hard than good. Burning the gains you may already have worked for.
  • FSLSBSmfp
    FSLSBSmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eat at around maintenance and get strong. Do 2:1 pull:push lift ratio with lots of face-pulls and band pull-aparts and stretch your pecs. Best to correct posture first then get serious with a bulk.